Help

Social Studies

Economics- Production, Distribution, Consumption

>

kymaggie51

Economics- Production, Distribution, Consumption
Old 08-29-2009, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for a way to teach production, distribution and consumption. I'm very familiar with the concepts and teaching them in the context of historical periods but I need some activities/lessons for just teaching and reinforcing the basic concepts. Any ideas??

kymaggie51 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

What if
Old 08-29-2009, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

you created teams to follow different items used in school. One team could talk with the cafeteria coordinator about a consumable they use. Another group could discuss a consumable used by the school secretaries. Maybe a third could follow a product used by the custodial staff. They can research the companies that produce these products. They can find out how the products are distributed by the manufactures. Do they come straight through the factory or do they go through the school district's warehouse? Then why, how they are used and how fast they are consumed. Then they could share what they have learned with the class and discuss what they have learned. Just an idea.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Rockguykev

What specifically?
Old 08-29-2009, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What aspects of production specifically? (diminishing marginal returns, comparative advantage, etc.) Same with consumption (opportunity cost, circular flow, etc.).

I have some simulation activities for the specific concepts but not so much for the broader ones as you listed them.
Rockguykev is offline   Reply With Quote

kymaggie51

Basic Vocab
Old 08-29-2009, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We will cover opportunity cost, scarcity, profits, etc. but for this lesson I am really trying to come up with some activity to reinforce our definitions that production is making or producing goods, distribution is getting those goods to consumers and consumption is the buying or consumption/use of goods. Then throughout the year during the teaching of historical periods we will talk about specific examples. Right now we're just doing an introduction of the terms. I'm just not sure what do to reinforce those ideas. Thanks for your response.
kymaggie51 is offline   Reply With Quote

rocket1

Old 08-31-2009, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Have you tried Play-Doh economics? There is a set lessons and the video is called "Umph's Fwat" very cute, all the vocab and then hands on lessons to go with them. I think our set came from Citi-Financial. You might check with them. You can also get free comic books from the NY Reserve Bank.

Hope this helps!!

rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote

buggybear

Economics
Old 09-01-2009, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Are you from GA? If you go to www.georgiastandards.org, and then go to social studies frameworks, there is a great economic powerpoint that goes over the basic terms. There is also some United Streaming videos that go over them as well.
buggybear is offline   Reply With Quote

IMSaved2

Old 09-02-2009, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Junior Achievement does a lesson of making donuts that is really great. Maybe you can contact them. I'll see if I have a copy somewhere.
IMSaved2 is offline   Reply With Quote