Kindergarten

Handwriting

>

RealisticPreK

Handwriting
Old 03-30-2019, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach young 4's to write their names.

I have been teaching the children to use one capital and the rest lowercase letters, but my director prefers all capital letters, although she is willing to let me continue as I have been.

Do you kindergarten teachers have a preference?

RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-30-2019, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your director is an idiot. Our preschool used to teach students to write their names in all capitals because they said the capital letters were easier to learn/write developmentally. Sure, but that doesn't mean you teach children to write something incorrectly! Especially since many of our kids were in preschool for 2 years, it was an extremely hard habit for them to break and we had to waste a lot of time reteaching the correct way. After years of complaints they finally started teaching them to write their names correctly last school year.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-31-2019, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well, if they learn in all caps then we have to reteach them. Please keep doing it your way!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 04-02-2019, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Your director is an idiot.
Haley23 hit it on the head! Keep doing what you know is right. And we K teachers thank you!
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Agree with pp
Old 04-02-2019, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No to capitals! Learning lowercase letters is so much more useful.

ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-07-2019, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is off topic slightly, but I think you would do your students more good by teaching them to recognize lowercase letters and not bother with writing. I don't even give my Kinders pencils til October. Have them feel the shape using sand paper cut outs, "draw" the LC letters in gel bags, sand trays, that kind of thing.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 04-07-2019, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That would not fly in my district, by Christmas the are writing paragraphs in K.

Quote:
This is off topic slightly, but I think you would do your students more good by teaching them to recognize lowercase letters and not bother with writing. I don't even give my Kinders pencils til October. Have them feel the shape using sand paper cut outs, "draw" the LC letters in gel bags, sand trays, that kind of thing.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Tsy
Old 04-14-2019, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
That would not fly in my district, by Christmas the are writing paragraphs in K.
I'm responding to a PreK teacher. And paragraphs by December in K is hardly appropriate to most Ks.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

RealisticPreK

Old 04-22-2019, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I actually teach 3 year olds who go on to the PreK room next.

I do teach the children to recognize and name lowercase letters and their sounds (as well as capitals, of course). I love using the Leapfrog Letter Factory DVD and Heidisongs letters and sounds CD to achieve this.

Because I have the whole gamut of 3 year olds this year, ranging from just turned 3 to about to turn 4, I only teach them to write their names, and that starts when each child turns 3 1/2. However, I also do have them write on the whiteboard just before they each line up to go outside. They copy my letter of the week (actually one letter every 2 weeks) on the board as I hold their hands and position the marker. They say the name and sound, too. It's the only way I can be sure they form the letters correctly. Finding time for 1:1 work is pretty hard, so this is my solution.

I used to use my sandpaper letters all the time. I think I will get them out for the incoming class! Thanks for the reminder.

And thanks to all who responded. I will continue to do as I have in the past. Thanks for the support.
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote