Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Very random question

>

Teddi9192

Very random question
Old 05-06-2019, 07:28 PM

How do you not wash your hair? Not in a judgy way but in an application way.

I have been a daily hair washer for my entire life. Never really thought about it but when I shower, I wash my hair. I see people say that their hair looks the best on the second or third day after washing. How often do you wash your hair? Do they (you) pin it up when they shower? Cover it with a cap? Just rinse without shampoo? Iíd like to try it to see if my hair likes it but Iím not sure how. I suck at the whole beauty routine stuff.

Oh and what is ďdry shampooĒ? How does that work?

Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Hair
Old 05-06-2019, 07:33 PM

I wash my hair about every three or four days. It really does look better after day two. My hair is dry so it literally never looks dirty. And yes, I put it up with headband and clip. I actually add hair oil to make my hair shiny too...I do not wash it every time I shower. I shower daily!
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 05-06-2019, 07:35 PM

I used to wash my hair every day. But it's long, thick, and I have kids. I save time by washing every other day. I just pin mine up in the tub and use a hand held shower. I use a dry shampoo sometimes. It's supposed to get rid of extra oil. And it smells good. I still think my looks better the day it's washed. But I only wash my kids' hair every other day and they both look better the 2nd day.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-06-2019, 07:41 PM

My dry shampoo is a spray that smells really good, but makes my hair feel rough. I only use it on backpacking/camping trips to take some of the edge off.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 05-06-2019, 07:41 PM

I read an interesting NYT article on this last year. Basically, all the experts (doctors and hair care professionals) agreed it is just fine to wash daily. And if you don't wash your hair often enough, your scalp will start to smell and others will notice it. I have noticed it on other people, tbh. Although I would think it would take a few days at least to get to that point.

Last edited by Starr; 05-06-2019 at 08:04 PM..
Starr is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-06-2019, 07:56 PM

My hair is very oily and definitely does not look better after not being washed. I wash it about every other day, partly because I'm too lazy to do every day and partly because I don't think the heat styling I do would be good for it every day. I use dry shampoo, but it only makes the slightest difference for me. If I have something I really want to look nice for, I'll make sure to wash it even if I just washed it the day before.

During school breaks I only wash it if I have something social going on that day, so sometimes it goes longer and it continues to look worse by the day. I don't use a shower cap- I simply put my hair up in a bun on top of my head while showering and don't stick my head under the water.

I have many friends who insist that frequent washing makes it more oily. I just don't buy it- I think just like skin types, everyone is different. For my entire life growing up, I washed my hair only 1-2x per week and it was always oily. Sometimes in the summer I'll let it go for numerous days at a time and it never gets any better. It seems to work out much better for people with darker hair.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-06-2019, 08:05 PM

I typically shampoo every day I shower. I only skip a shower on a day off it I'm just going yo be hanging around the house.

Yesterday I showered late in the day, but didn't dry & style my hair. This morning I showered, but only wet my hair so I could style it. I thought by afternoon it would feel slimy and itchy, but it didn't.

I do have thick hair and could definitely get away with every other day shampooing. DH needs to wash his hair every day!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

bookbadger

Same story here!
Old 05-06-2019, 08:08 PM

I just recently started skipping a day between shampoos. I have short hair that looks like Medusa when I get up so there is really no way I can skip rinsing. So, I have tried it (less than a week). I have rinsed it in the shower.

I don't know of my hair works better the 2nd day but I swear I could smell my hair on the second day...maybe it was just all in my head

My incentive is to get the highlights to last longer (didn't verify that this will actually help).
bookbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Snicklesnack

Hair washing
Old 05-06-2019, 08:24 PM

My hair is thick and coarse and dry. My hairdresser has told me over and over again that the longer I can go without washing it, the healthier it will be. It needs the natural oils. I just put it in a clip when I shower, and wash it about once a week. It looks best around day 4-5, and needs a little dry shampoo days 6 and beyond. It takes about an hour to blow dry (and that is NOT an exaggeration), so washing it more often truly is an inconvenience.
Snicklesnack is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 05-06-2019, 08:33 PM

My hair has always been naturally curly so I washed it every day because I looked like Bozo in the morning. Then I discovered a flat iron and began to straighten my hair. (Imagine angels singing...) I can actually go two days on one wash! (3 if I am really, really lucky!!) Life changing!! I just wear a shower cap while showering and then straighten what needs to be straightened again. My stylist did give me some stuff to spray on it while flat-ironing that she said would extend the time between and sometimes I use and sometimes I don't. The spray does help to tame the frizzies, but it is fine if I don't use it. The hardest part now is scheduling which days I want to take the time to wash/dry it and which I don't!

eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 05-06-2019, 08:46 PM

I wash mine every other day. Sometimes I go exercise on the third day and do it when I get home.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

LastMinute123

Old 05-07-2019, 02:01 AM

It depends on how I style it. If I blow it dry with a round brush, I can get two days out of it. I wear a little old lady shower cap in the shower and do a "dry blow dry" the second day - Same process, half the time. If I pull it up wet, I have to wash it the next day or it looks unwashed. My hair is fine and medium length. When it used to be curly, it looked better the second day if I didn't brush it, just flipped it upside down, reapplied product by "scrunching," and tied it up into a cotton t-shirt while I did the rest of my morning routine. Anything in the winter lasts longer. Anything that involves sweat means a wash or it will smell.

Dry shampoo is a spray or powder that absorbs the oil in your hair. Works for some hair types, not for others.
LastMinute123 is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 05-07-2019, 03:24 AM

I wash mine every other day. It came down to the fact that I was frying it by using my hair dryer and my flat iron every day. At first, my hair was super oily on the 2nd day, but it really does adjust and now looks good on the 2nd day. It also saves a lot of time!

I put it in a ponytail and then use a shower cap. My hair is very sensitive to water/steam and will start getting wavy (out of control) in the shower, even if it doesn't get wet. All is well when I use a shower cap, though.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 05-07-2019, 04:03 AM

When I was younger I washed it every day. My body produced more oils then. Now that I am older, I only need wash it every 2-3 days. I have a spray bottle of water and just give it a misting in the morning and fluff it up with the dryer. I try to time washing to coincide with my gym days.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Washing Hair
Old 05-07-2019, 04:39 AM

I wash mine every three days. It looks better on the days I don't wash it. I wear a shower cap when I don't use shampoo.

Last edited by travelingfar; 05-07-2019 at 01:17 PM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 05-07-2019, 06:09 AM

I wash mine about every 3-4 days. I use dry shampoo starting on day 3. I shower every day and put my hair in a ponytail and use a shower cap. I work out everyday and put it in a ponytail. Sometimes b4 I work out I'll use the dry shampoo to soak up sweat.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 05-07-2019, 06:13 AM

I've never, ever washed daily.

I wash once a week and it's still not greasy, smelly, etc.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Hair washing
Old 05-07-2019, 07:20 AM

I have short, color treated hair and used to wash it every single day. I looked like Alfalfa in the morning (Spanky and Our Gang reference for the youngsters) and thought I had to shampoo it to restyle it.

But I was washing away an expensive color job in a few weeks. So, one day I bit the bullet and just wet it. It did look,better the second day.

Now I shampoo on day one, wet it on day two, and frequently use a dry shampoo on day three. My hair is in better shape and the color job lasts longer.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 05-07-2019, 07:21 AM

I, unfortunately, need to wash my hair everyday. My hair is baby fine and perfectly straight. But for some reason I sweat a lot on my head. When I return from the gym in the morning, my hair is soaked with sweat. Dry shampoo wonít help it. On days I donít go to the gym my hair is so messed up in the morning anyway, flat on one side and sticking up on the other.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 05-07-2019, 10:57 AM

I have dry, wavy hair. I wash it on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Fridays (that's just my routine, it helps me not have to think about "when was the last time I washed my hair??" ). On days I don't wash, I rinse without shampoo and then scrunch it with a towel to dry it.

If you typically wash your hair everyday, then your body is used to replenishing the oils in your hair daily. So if you suddenly start washing it less frequently, then be prepared for your hair to feel greasy, at least for the first few weeks. It will take time for your body to "catch on" that it doesn't need to produce as much oil. And like others have said, some people are just naturally "oily," so this routine may not work for you.

I tried dry shampoo, but I didn't like it the way it made my hair look or feel. I'm not sure if it's because I wasn't using a good product or because I just couldn't get the hang of using it properly.

If morning bedhead is a big problem for you, try switching to a silk or satin pillowcase. That made a huge difference for me.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 05-07-2019, 11:06 AM

My hair doesn't like to be washed daily. Like some other posters, it's thick, coarse, and naturally very dry. What was recommended to me recently was to just use conditioner every other wash- so washing once a week (with conditioner as well) and conditioning only the other time during the week. On the days I don't wash or just condition, I put it up into a bun and put a hotel shower cap over it I have done a lot of traveling and I always grab the hotel shower cap and then use it for months

Dry shampoo and my hair aren't good friends. But sometimes I'll use baby powder instead- just a little to freshen near the temple. If I leave it curly, it never looks greasy (but the curls start to look bad). If I straighten it, I run my finger through it a lot more, which makes the temples a little greasier looking after several days (but nothing compared to actual greasy- looking I see in other people).

I have noticed that it sometimes might smell a bit the longer I go before doing something (wash and/or condition) to it. So baby powder helps with that as well.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 05-07-2019, 01:05 PM

I wash my hair every school day and then only Saturday or Sunday. I have short hair and it is on the oily side along with my skin, even though I'm in my mid-50s.

I have to wet and blow dry it everyday anyway due to the style, and if I don't shampoo it it ends up limp and oily looking halfway through the day.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 05-07-2019, 01:18 PM

I wash my hair M/W/F during the school year, and T/Th/S (-ish) during the summer. Like others, my hair is thick, coarse, and dry. It is not quite straight or curly. I find I need to blow dry and heat style (either straighten or curl). I use a lot of product after shampooing and conditioning (primer, cream, hair spray).

On the second day, I usually just need a spritz of product and a quick redo of yesterday's style.

In the summer, honestly it's mostly in a ponytail. I take the summer off for blowdrying.

To answer your other questions, I definitely use a shower cap. Humidity is not my friend. I also have never gotten the hang of dry shampoo.
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 05-07-2019, 01:56 PM

I am a daily hair washer too. Even though I just turned 60, my hair is still oily. Its sticking to my head on the second day!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

hair
Old 05-07-2019, 02:38 PM

I only wash mine twice a week - more often if it's summer and I get hot. I used to wash it daily, but as I got older my hair got drier along with my skin . If I wash it daily, it gets very frizzy and flies around. Not a good look!

I do use dry shampoo on Day 3, but it's not because it looks bad - it's mainly just to make sure it doesn't smell bad. I just spray some in my scalp and let it dry (usually while I apply a little make-up) and then brush as usual.

As far as showering, I put my hair in a top bun. I bathe daily - so I'm clean!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-07-2019, 03:19 PM

I wash my long curly and dry hair about every four days. When I shower without washing my hair, I let my hair get wet and I just shape it with my fingers later on. My hair curls up because of the product already in the hair. I do not use a dry shampoo.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-07-2019, 03:41 PM

I washed my hair every day until I had my hysterectomy. Suddenly my super oily, straight hair was dry and curly. Now I wash my hair once every other week.

Iím sure Iíd wash it, or wet it/condition it, more often if I needed to style it every day. However, with putting a wig on, itís not like it matters.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

I only wash
Old 05-07-2019, 04:41 PM

My hair every 3-4 days. I get it wet and condition the ends then restyle.

I agree that my hair looks best day 2 after washing!
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 05-07-2019, 06:36 PM

I used to wash daily. I have super thick curly hair. Then when I started straightening my hair I started going a day or two between washes. Now I just wash once a week or so. I occasionally use powder on my hair if it seems oily. In the summer I wash more.

I just put my hair up when Iím in the shower if Iím not gonna wash. If it looks really good and straight ( like right after the hairdresser) then I wear a shower cap
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Smurfette

Old 05-07-2019, 07:58 PM

When I was younger I absolutely had to wash it everyday or my scalp would smell. Now that Iím older, my hair isnít as oily. The majority of the time I still shampoo daily. If Iím feeling lazy Iíll go a day without washing, but no more than a day.
Smurfette is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 05-08-2019, 03:38 PM

I don't use shampoo at all, and condition mine every 2-3 days. I have curly hair, though, so that makes a big difference.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote