Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Dresses bought from Amazon

>

Katluv

Dresses bought from Amazon
Old 06-02-2019, 02:25 PM

I have 2 co-worker's weddings to attend this summer. I have several dresses in my closet for work but I am tired of them and don't want to wear them to the events.

Has anyone had luck with dresses purchased on Amazon? I looked and there are lots of cute ones available but I'm weary buying things online where I can't try them on!

There are some great prices as well.

Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Great prices
Old 06-02-2019, 02:28 PM

but cheap material and workmanship in my opinion. I would go to a store and try dresses on. That way you can see if it fits well and is well constructed. Plus you can feel the fabric to see if like the texture.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Depends
Old 06-02-2019, 02:35 PM

I have bought name brand clothes on Amazon for less than at the website. The dress I bought for my daughter's wedding was one of them. The same dress could be bought at a high end department store. I was able to find a site that told me what size I should buy based on this item compared to other clothes I owned that fit. That worked really well, and I got quite a discount from Amazon.

OTOH, I have bought other things and didn't like the fabric when I got them. Read carefully and do your homework, I guess.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-02-2019, 02:38 PM

I would be careful and order VERY early. Read the reviews and look at all of the information that the company puts out- check for wording that implies English is a second language. Often the clothing comes from China, which not only takes forever, but also the sizing is way off. I wouldn't buy anything unless there were a ton of reviews specifically saying the size and quality were as expected. I have a really frugal friend who regularly orders, but she orders a size 2x (she's usually a medium-large) and knows to order 6 weeks-2 months in advance of when she'll be needing the item.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Dresses on amazon
Old 06-02-2019, 02:43 PM

Go with name brands if at all possible.

If the price is too good to be true...it very well might be.

Read all the print...twice.

Read the reviews.

Order now and order several. Amazon has a terrific return policy.

And donít order anything coming from China.

Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 06-02-2019, 02:45 PM

I have 3 from Amazon that I love! Admittedly they arenít the highest quality but they have lasted for awhile and are so comfy. I only buy clothes from Amazon that have free returns listed, and lots of reviews with pictures. Also look at the measurements and be willing to order a larger size because often the measurements listed vary. I got an XL dress (I'm usually a medium) that fit great but Iím glad I read the details.

Think about what silhouette looks best on your body shape. Itís so easy to see the pictures and think how cute something is, but I know there are a lot that wonít look good on my curvy body. But when I see real photos from others I get a better idea and can choose pretty accurately what will fit and look good on me.

I love buying clothes on Amazon now. I rarely have to return things anymore.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 06-02-2019, 03:09 PM

I have bought a fair number of clothes on Amazon. Great prices, and many are great quality. Now, you have to be prepared to make returns. I sometimes just buy what I like in a few different sizes and just plan on returning some.
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 06-02-2019, 03:12 PM

I order brand name clothes from Amazon a lot. Some items work and others don’t. No worries because the return shipping is almost always free for Prime members so nothing to lose. Easy peasy.

I have found that you can put things in your cart and often the prices go down. This only works if you aren’tin a hurry for an item because it takes time.

You can find cheap clothes on Amazon but you can also designer brands too. Right now I have my eye on an Anne Klein dress thats $120 at Nordstrom but only $60 on Amazon. Another time I found a pair of Badgely Mischka heels on Nordstrom.com and they were $225 - ouch! Then I looked on Amazon and they were $60 which was a steal! That doesnt happen often but when it does - SCORE!!

Last edited by MathWA; 06-02-2019 at 03:34 PM..
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 06-02-2019, 03:17 PM

I've bought a lot of clothing from Amazon - everything from dresses (maxi and short), shirts and shorts for working out, and undies).

I always read all the reviews and especially look at the photos - sometimes they will list the size they bought and how tall/weight they are.

And honestly - if you spent $20 a dress that looks decent, why not? I'm looking to purchase a dress for my son's wedding on Amazon.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

amazon
Old 06-02-2019, 03:41 PM

I buy lots of clothes on amazon. I would say half I return because it doesn't fit (usually too small) and the other half fits. I think you just have to chance it and go with what you think is the right size. Their return policy is good if it's from Amazon. If it's a third party seller, that could be a problem. A seller wanted me to take pictures of how it didn't fit in order to process a return so I wound up putting in in my give away bag even tho it was around 40 dollars. I say go and order, read reviews as others have said, and only buy from Amazon not third party sellers.

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 06-02-2019, 05:16 PM

I've had mixed luck with clothing from Amazon. Some things I love, some went right back. My best advice is to make sure that the items you purchase include free returns and are purchased directly from Amazon.
MissTrace is offline   Reply With Quote

periwinklez

Old 06-02-2019, 05:17 PM

I shop on Amazon all the time! The dress I wore to a coworkerís wedding in April was from Amazon. It was only $20 and looked perfect for the occasion. It also fit me fine.

Just make sure to check customer reviews. The more reviews and higher the rating, the more likely you will be satisfied with the item. I like to look at customer pictures as well to get a good idea of how the outfit actually looks like in real life versus from the Amazon stock photo. Amazon products that have Prime shipping will arrive very quickly (1-3 days) whereas third party sellers will take at least a week or two usually or more. Also, many clothing sold on Amazon has free returns.
periwinklez is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Macy's always has amazing deals
Old 06-04-2019, 04:09 AM

on dresses. I got a beautiful one online last year in their "Last Chance" section or something like that. It was under $30, marked down from $129, fit perfectly.

Always read the reviews, where you can find tips about sizing, wear, etc.

Good luck. I shop online constantly and seldom send anything back.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote