Help

BusyBoard

Managing group supplies

>

mimi6

Managing group supplies
Old 08-03-2016, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I bought 3-drawer carts for each group this year to house journals and community group supplies. How to you manage the supplies that seem to just walk out of the room or end up on the floor? Management tips for group supply accountability is appreciated. What works for you?

mimi6 is offline   Reply With Quote

TMom

Special helpers
Old 08-03-2016, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You could have special helpers per table to check several times a day or have the "desk fairy" come on periodic evenings to leave treats for the cleanest, most organized table. Or color code EVERYTHING per table. I am toying with putting names on 2-3 pencils per student, then I can tell who is destroying the erasers, chewing on the pencil, constantly breaking it.
TMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

student role & rotations
Old 08-03-2016, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Backtracking a little, when I used to be the divide and conquer type, management of classroom was so much easier. And then I began to appreciate having students working in teams more. I got bored with the old way and delight in having students be responsible for themselves and others. By my saying this doesn't mean that I abdicate my role/authority. When I had my students work in teams, I didn't have the luxury of having each group table come equipped with all the necessary materials. I didn't even have a caddy for all their supplies. So we had a community resource for pencil crayons, markers, scissors, butcher paper. I assigned each student a role as resource managers, secretary, "pooper scooper" (they find this role name amusing too which is aka picker-upper), group facilitator, etc. Each role has their own job to do at the end of each period. The resource manager in each team lets me know what they need while the secretary of each team lets me know who's absent, etc... I let each team decide if they want to take turns doing each role or if they want to stick to the same role for the year. I like the productive noise as opposed to silence. I wonder how everyone else's class does things.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote