Help

BusyBoard

Non-Certified Staff Situation

>

AnnaMarie

Non-Certified Staff Situation
Old 03-31-2019, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our non-certified staff have been on strike for 10 days. They worked without a contract for almost 22 months before having to resort to this. Our community is small and tight-knit. At our building, teachers go across the street to the "camp" the non-certified have, BEFORE and AFTER school, and encourage them. We take them food, water, wood for their fire to keep warm, and spend time with them on the weekends. However, they are starting to get discouraged.

Any suggestions as to what we can do to help them get through this? The school board is taking a tough stance, but the community is backing the union. It was heard today that a board member stated that this is nothing compared to what it will be like when the teachers' contract is up next year. But for now, we just want to keep the spirits up of these fine people who only make $16,000-$17,000 a year.

Thanks for any ideas you may have!

AnnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-31-2019, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We went out and picketed with them before and after school (my P had absolute kittens over this and wanted to write people up, etc ). We also brought donuts and coffee and wore our union shirts in support of them. Our paras came up and thanked us for our support when they came back to work. Itís the small things that make a big difference in this situation.

Good luck to your paras and teachers in this situation.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 03-31-2019, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What about some cards from the kids they service?

What about parents of those kids? Maybe a thank you from them?

Keep supporting them! We know they are just as important as teachers and administration.
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 04-01-2019, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our classified staff were in salary negotiations this past summer that werenít going well. Our teachers union voted to strike in solidarity with our classified staff union if they ultimately ended up striking or walking out. We didnít ultimately need to do that, but that is what would have happened here. We did the things you described while negotiations were ongoing. Also, letters to the local paper.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Old 04-01-2019, 09:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
But for now, we just want to keep the spirits up of these fine people who only make $16,000-$17,000 a year.
Yes! I used to feel frustrated that my aide always arrived right on the bell, never a few minutes before so I could explain what I wanted her to. Then I found out how much she got paid. I was shocked! I totally get it now. And she is SO good at her job! I wish she was paid more.

I'm glad you are supporting these people.

ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote