Help

BusyBoard

Flexible Seating

>

Becca4

Flexible Seating
Old 06-22-2019, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Give me your favorite flexible seating that has worked for you!! Pics are even better! Anyone transform their classroom into a café-style setting?

Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-22-2019, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There is a 5th grade teacher at my school that has gone whole hog with flexible seating...I am not there yet and I also doubt the third graders I have had could handle it.

I have a few flexible seating options, along side traditional seating with the expectation that you use it responsibly or or lose it.

I have 6 hokki stools that the kids use with a tradition desk
https://www.kaplanco.com/product/244...h?c=1%7CFC1080

I have 6 bucket stools stool that go with a table-word to the wise I found that 1 5 gallon bucket was a little short for my third graders so I stacked two buckets together with some gorilla tape and those buckets are never going to come apart also mine arent quite this fancy-I made a cusion for each with fiber fill and a succulent theme fabric on blue lowes buckets (I scrubbed off the logo with steel wool pretty easily) and I added a top and bottom ring of succulent themed duct tape.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/00/b7...7726ca6ad7.jpg

I also have a couple of these but they are very expensive-perfect for wiggle worms who need back support though. I probably wouldnt have spent that much for my classroom-these were my sons when he was in elementary
https://www.schooloutfitters.com/cat...am_id/PFAM1847

I just made 3 of these-havent used them yet I wanna see how it goes. The only difference is that got very sturdy storage bin with hardy lids and I hot glued white board to the lid so that they were more like sturdy desk tops and so that kids can write directly on the desk tops during math.
https://bartkings.blogspot.com/2018/...book-boat.html
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-22-2019, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Start small and cheap is always my advice. You can do it for no cost to see if it's for you! I started with dropping one table low to sit on the floor, raising one high to stand, and letting them use the floor with clipboards. I later added hokki stools at one table and a few scoop rockers that they can use with ipads during center time. I also always have a traditional table available as well. That's all I have room for, and it works well for me. Flexible seating is more about choice than about fancy stuff.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

flexible seating
Old 06-24-2019, 02:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't have a lot of space. We use carpet squares and rocker chairs on the floor. I know lots of teachers are using the exercise balls.
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 06-24-2019, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have the hokki stools and the Zuma rocker previously posted. The rockers are not as popular as I expected. The hokki stools are beloved and well worth the price tag. I have a couple little scoop seats (cheap). I have had the balls, but they are such a PITA, I took them out of circulation. I have the clipboard/floor option and many kids choose that. I have a handful of IKEA stools (super cheap). And I also have the regular little chairs with backs that came with my classroom. Some kids want the standard seating. Raising and lowering tables is an awesome, easy, and no-cost way to experiment.

Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

bronxgirl75

Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am middle school (iPad class with almost 30 kids) and resource room for special education.

I have the following: hokie stools (4), lawn chairs (4), plastic chair (1), Yoga balls (2), standing table that seats (3), futon (I allow 2), stools (3), low table by the futon (think coffee table), a teacher rolling chair and some traditional seating.

We love the seating options, the lawn furniture is holding up great and I don't have to work about it folding smells or funky things. I will try and post pictures at some point.
bronxgirl75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Thanks
Old 06-25-2019, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you all so much! Our system is really pushing this concept!

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-26-2019, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

One thing to keep in mind is that with the backless stools (and maybe this is just me)is that there are kids who always seems to be falling off of them. Some kids always seem to need some back support for safety.

The Zuma rocker are good (and they actually have a fair amount of data backing them for increasing attention and decreasing behavior) but really expensive.

Another option which I think I am going to try investing in this year is the inflatable rubber seat cushion.

I am looking at these because they look like they are the same as the disc'o'sit which is supported by studies

https://www.amazon.com/AppleRound-St...27SZ9VFQSQKJTA

research
https://ajot.aota.org/article.aspx?articleid=1867039
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca4

Thanks
Old 06-26-2019, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you, Kinderkr4zy!