Help

The VENT

Send a thank you e-mail?

>

applesaucencr

Send a thank you e-mail?
Old 06-24-2019, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a phone interview and already thanked the interviewer for speaking with me. Follow up with an e-mail or not? The "follow up thank you" seems to not be as common practice from what I have gathered based on reading other boards and job sites. I know that as an interviewer, I never cared either way about getting/not getting a thank you.

applesaucencr is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-24-2019, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always do it. I've heard/read conflicting thoughts, but as long as it's short and clear, I've never heard it's a bad thing. And some preople really do still expect it. So on the off chance the interviewer is into that, I send them. Sometimes I get a response. I know my former boss looks for that and has more positive feelings about those who do send a thank you email.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-24-2019, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think it can't hurt, but I don't know how much of a difference it really makes. I've been in on a lot of interviews in 2 different schools and in every case, we never left the room without making a decision (sometimes it was longer for candidates to hear because we had to make sure references checked out).

Even if a team was really torn and took some time to think about it, one would assume that they'd find a way to differentiate between top candidates by their skills, or maybe have another interview round or demo lesson if necessary. I can't imagine anyone saying, "Well, this one sent us a thank you note and that one didn't, so let's go with her."
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 06-24-2019, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you send a follow up thank you, keep it brief, but include a positive comment about the district, school or position for which you interviewed or ask a question to clarify something you heard during the interview or an additional question you had after the interview.
iteachk2010 is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 06-24-2019, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'd lean on the side of sending the email. Good manners, sow your ability to write clearly and concisely, and make your interest in the position clear.

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

thank you email
Old 06-25-2019, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, I'd still send one. I like the suggestions about short, brief but maybe a compliment about the district or even a follow up question. And if you don't get this position, maybe you'll be on their radar for the future.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 06-25-2019, 02:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You can't go wrong by being polite. I hope you get the job of your dreams!
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-25-2019, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I’m sorry to disagree. I think a thank-you note for an interview is obsequious. I thanked interviewers for their consideration at the end of my interviews but never wrote. When I sat on interview panels and received those notes, I always thought they were ingratiating.

My DD has an MBA, is in consulting so has had many positions, and has gone on a zillion interviews over the course of her career. I asked her about this and she’d never heard of sending a thank-you note for an interview.

I suggest you not humble yourself by sending an additional thank you for business as usual. Be proud and professional.

Last edited by amiga13; 06-25-2019 at 06:28 AM..
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-25-2019, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just had an interview with a seven person panel and I was thinking about the etiquette of this. I chose not to do it, partly because I couldnít remember most of the people who were on the committee except for the P and Vp, and I thought it would sound corny anyway. Even if I could have remembered everyone, I wasnít going to send an email to seven people. I do find it disingenuous, but I suppose some people like getting them. I donít think it had any outcome on me not getting the job though.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote