Visual & Performing Arts

Christmas Program Decorations?????

>

Alissa

Alissa

Christmas Program Decorations?????
Old 11-28-2005, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was asked by the music teacher to help decorate the stage for a Christmas program. I need some ideas. The kids are going to sing a sleigh song and some other Christmas rock style songs. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

cH

Program decorations
Old 11-29-2005, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds like the ideas (and possibly the work?) will all be coming from you. I don't think there's anything prettier on stage than a simple Christmas tree with a genererous amount of beautiful colored lights, a few shiny ornaments, and a star or angel on the top. Many people have extra artificial trees in their basements or attics if you ask around. A pair of trees, one on each side of the stage would be even better. Large paper snowflakes, perhaps with a bit of glitter, decorating the back and/or side curtains would also add another touch of winter.

If the music teacher wants something more specific to the songs being used, the ideas should come from her/him. I'm speaking as a music teacher. Although I might welcome assistance from classroom teachers in preparing the concert stage, I would want to do the planning myself. I always feel "bold and simple" are the best guidelines for any concert decorating scheme.
cH is offline   Reply With Quote

DJ/SC

Yes...
Old 11-30-2005, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with cH when it comes to keeping things simple. I've spent too many nights on top of a ladder at the school alone at ten p.m. to wish that on anybody else!
And, if you do multiples of something like snowflakes or ornaments, be sure and let the performing classes make them in Art!
Be kind to yourself and keep it simple. You won't regret it.
Happy Art-ing!
DJ/SC is offline   Reply With Quote

pattyk

Christmas Decorations
Old 11-30-2005, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

First, I hope the Music teacher asked long before today! My music teacher asked in early October if there was room in my schedule for the kids to make decorations for the Christmas program. Second, BIG, BOLD and SIMPLE, are my guide lines. I have given up trying to tie the decorations in with the Music production...we have a play, chorus, and other acts...and the play cannot be overtly 'Christmasy'. And lastly, I try to have the kids make the decorations. This year we made doves that carry banners with holiday wishes written on them. We made enough for a bulletin board, too, so everyone in the fourth grade made a bird and wrote a wish. And since I was asked early, we are done with them and they are ready to be mounted the day before the big performance.
pattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
AHelms

AHelms

Christmas Ideas
Old 08-31-2006, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use a big tree. Last year, I blew up balloons, weighted them with salt, and glittered them. They hung from fishing line. It looked like big ornaments. You could also collect big boxes and wrap them. Different sizes with bows make a great statement. Batting for snow. Different size trees decorated with as little or as much as you want. Hope this helps!