Help

Retired Teachers

Question of the week

>

1959mm

Question of the week
Old 06-10-2016, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you still dream ( or have nightmares) about school? Feel free to share a special story with us.

1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 06-10-2016, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Now that I do a little volunteer teaching at the elementary school for a special environmental program, I do have the occasional dream...usually now it is the parent volunteers who are disorganized and cause things to go wrong...

I used to always have the "teaching naked" dream in late August. I was spared that this past year! Retirement allows me to remain decently dressed in my dreams nowadays....
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Turkeyrun

Didn't the first 2 times I retired!
Old 06-10-2016, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

But this time...wake up in the middle of the night---those high school students bring such dread and worry-- even though I know I'll NEVER go back to teaching!
Turkeyrun is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

school dreams
Old 06-10-2016, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank goodness they're gone!

Two that I remember:

*Towering bookcases leaning over and crammed with junk so that I can't find what I need and I can't see the students. (Very clear meaning there!)

*Desperately roaming empty white hallways looking for my lost students. Not a soul in sight.
timeforbed is online now   Reply With Quote

1959mm

Old 06-10-2016, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My DH has them all the time. Last week's nightmare started in high school and he couldn't find his classroom where he was supposed to be subbing. The dream ended at the elementary school where he was the admin (true) and he couldn't find the students in Mrs. G's class ( they were well known to play pranks!).
I had not had any until about a month ago. I was trying to get all the computers and smart board hooked up... ugh! Don't miss those days!

1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

landsoftly

Not recently
Old 06-10-2016, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

altho have had recurring ones--not the exact one twice, as so many do--but a new one w/ variation on a theme.

Somehow, I am at school (visiting). I'm in my old room, and the principal and AP (had great rapport with both) show up--and start talking to me about what's going on as if I'm still working.
I keep saying "I'm retired!" but somehow, am swept up in my wimpy way and have actually woken myself up yelling in my sleep "BUT I'M RETIRED!"

My cure for these dreams? I have not yet visited my old school and do not intend to do so. As in The Godfather:
'Just when I think I'm out--they just suck you back in!' or something along those terms.

Oh, and I did used to have school dreams when I taught. They, as with Lisa, featured me in my unmentionables. When I awoke from those nightmares, I always told myself that having a stunning collection of matching, pretty, overpriced unmentionables was a fantastic investment and so grateful, felt no guilt about my indulgence. Whew. Great to way to turn that nightmare into a positive reason for buying such luxuries!!
landsoftly is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Not any more
Old 06-10-2016, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Some dreams before retiring were the Beach Boys singing "Be True to Your School" (usually the night before school started). Oversleeping & trying to get to school, but couldn't make it there.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-10-2016, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I dream about school A LOT! Can't really remember much about most of them, but probably averages at least 3x a month!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 06-11-2016, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Last one I had was the day before I retired I dreamt about the hallway to the main office never ended and I was unable to leave and turn in my keys.

Since then the only school dreams I had were about friends still teaching.
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

madelyneva

Nope!
Old 06-11-2016, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Not one dream about school since I retired!!

I taught for 38 years...and EVERY year... I would have a dream the night before the first day of class.I would "dream" through all the motions of the first day of school.... I would wake exhausted.

madelyneva is offline   Reply With Quote

supernova

Dreams
Old 06-11-2016, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have no dreams of school. I had a difficult time at first turning off the daytime thoughts of school, but I officially don't think of it at all. Just so happy to be retired and not stressed all the time!!!
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

school dreams
Old 06-11-2016, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

At first I had them quite often. Now after 5 years I have one maybe every 6 months or so. They usually involve me being late for school, which is strange since in my entire teaching career I was late only once, and that was because a tree had fallen across the road and I could not get out of my neighborhood.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

bookhound

Old 06-11-2016, 10:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Ha Ha......Never any more. ))) It's been four yrs since I retired.

When I did teach, I would have dreams about appearing in my classroom in my getting ready-for-the-school year clothes & my class would be there staring at me/ready for class. I would of course be unprepared for them in the dream....thus the tension & nightmare-ishness of the situation!!!!

Nice not to have similar dreams anymore...before the school yr, on Sunday nights and at the end of vacations.
bookhound is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

still frequent
Old 06-12-2016, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Mine is always a variation: it is the beginning of the school year, I end up in a classroom that has lousy teaching materials, I remember that my good stuff was given away. Then, things heat up, I regret taking the job, but then remember: I have a major vacation planned for later in the year, so I'll have to quit!
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

2grade

Old 06-12-2016, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Yes, even after two years, I occasionally have school dreams. They're not exactly nightmares but they're not pleasant. In many dreams, I've been called back to my old classroom and must take over for my replacement. But in my dreams, I'm not happy about doing this. I usually wake up thankful for my retirement.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote