Help

Retired Teachers

Shutting off the teacherthink???

>

amiga13

Shutting off the teacherthink???
Old 06-11-2016, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I retired yesterday and am still thinking about teaching. It goes away, right? Soon???

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

well
Old 06-11-2016, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

somehow I think it is a recessive gene in our DNA. I'm not sure it ever really goes away 100%. But over time it calms done, with fewer moments of reactivation: school supply sales, snowstorm predictions, etc. Happy retirement!!!
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

supernova

Old 06-11-2016, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It does, but it took me some time to turn it off. The first summer just feels like summer. When fall arrives and you begin to experience the wonder of it with no stress, it begins the path to real.
Walking by school stuff in the stores in late July and early August will be pretty dang cool too!

Lots to look forward to.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 06-11-2016, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't think it ever goes away.

Retirement has been great since the very beginning but I did find it to be a process more than a one-time event.

I did find I had to quit visiting the Busy Board on Proteacher.
I was getting too excited with too many ideas and things to try in the classroom --- when I didn't have a classroom.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-11-2016, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I shut mine off the minute I walked out the door, though I still do have dreams about teaching and school and its been 3 years!

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

teacherthink
Old 06-11-2016, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think of it like a memory - it will fade but not go completely away.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

2grade

Still thinking about teaching
Old 06-11-2016, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It's like being a mom. Once a teacher, always a teacher. But it won't be taking over your life anymore.
My DH kids me about this. He says that we teachers always find each other. It's true. No matter where I travel, I always end up talking to a teacher. I enjoy chatting with the retired ones now. We both know how good retirement is.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingafar

Thinking about Teaching
Old 06-11-2016, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I haven't thought much about teaching since I retired five months ago. I still have dreams about school, however, and they are always stressful.
travelingafar is offline   Reply With Quote

suzuki1

Old 06-11-2016, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I also retired 5 months ago. I don't dream about it but I do think about school most days if not every day, but not for long a minute or 2 at the most. If leaving had been a mistake I would know it. I don't want to go back to it but obviously after 33 years it does seem odd not to be involved in it all and it seems strange driving past the school. I find out what is happening through a friend, (things are very bitchy and cliquey at work these days) some other friends have not kept in touch but I am big enough to realise that that is life and people move on. One thing that has surprised me though is that it has been 5 months, it just seems like yesterday. If I had been in school the time would not have flown by and my nightly dreams would have had me tossing and turning all night thinking about this class and that class and this deadline and that deadline and what I should have said to my autocratic head teacher but didn't. That has stopped completely. Every working day I used to wake up and cough my way through the whole time I was getting ready to go out. My son remarked a few months ago that I had done that for years. That does not happen at all now. One thing that is great is that I can order goods online and be in the house to collect them, that is a real treat as we have never been in that position before! A silly advantage but good all the same, if I need to be in the house I can be in the house. One thing though, at 55 I feel it is odd to say I am retired. My husband says that I can get a job if I feel like that. Yes right!
suzuki1 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 06-11-2016, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

One if the best things about retirement... driving past school when it is in session and I'm on my way to meet a friend for lunch, see a movie, go shopping, or heading to the gym. It's a feeling of living life with freedom and it never gets old!

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Alaska35

This board
Old 06-11-2016, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

was a tremendous help to me last year in sorting out my feelings after I retired. I will always think of myself as a teacher! I am now a retired teacher! I was afraid that I might feel kind of "lost". I agree with the PT poster that mentioned summer was basically the same except I didn't feel the worry and stress that usually started in July. I felt like I was truly retired in the fall! I loved the feeling of being free to enjoy this season without school stress! You will still think about school and teaching, but as the year goes on, you think about it less and less. This was true for me. I hope this helps you!
Alaska35 is offline   Reply With Quote

madelyneva

keeping using a bit mine for a reason
Old 06-12-2016, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I watch my grandson daily, so of course I read to him and do various other activities with him, so I am using some of "my teacher thinking" daily with him. We even use a flannel board/characters for nursery rhymes, poems, and read alouds., so in a sense, I still get to enjoy my creative "teacher side."

But other than the above, I've put the rest aside.
madelyneva is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

Nah...It Really Doesn't
Old 06-12-2016, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

But eventually teachers thoughts will just be part of the continuum of your life. They won't consume you as they once did. The stressful thoughts and bad memories will fade until only the happy thoughts and good memories remain. Its an up and down process no matter how happily you danced out the door. Enjoy your retirement
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

NoMorePencils

Old 06-18-2016, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Once a teacher, always a teacher! I think that includes school "nightmares", "dreams" and all other teacher-y thoughts. I have been retired for just one year, but I continually search Pinterest, TPT and other sites to stay "in the know." It is hard to give up the person you were for so long. I imagine that eventually these thoughts/activities will fade but for now I really enjoy being a teacher on the sidelines! Good luck to you as you transition.
NoMorePencils is offline   Reply With Quote