Help

Retired Teachers

Professional hair coloring?

>

Renea

Professional hair coloring?
Old 06-21-2016, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How does your stylist color your hair? My hair is short and turning grey. I've colored it for decades but have not been happy with the results the past year. (Yeah, I know, I've tolerated it too long.)

How does your stylist color your greying hair?

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

2grade

coloring gray hair
Old 06-21-2016, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've had my hair professionally colored for a long time. I've tried growing out the color but the result is not pretty and made me feel 10 years older.
In my youth, I had dark brown hair. These days, I have my hair colored a mix of dark blonde/light brown. All hair color will lighten/fade with sun exposure. Tell your stylist your hair coloring "history". Hair color should not be just one solid color but should show some variation to look more natural. Perhaps, adding highlights or lowlights might help. Some people add a glaze over their hair color.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

2grade
Old 06-21-2016, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with you that it's important for hair color to NOT be one solid color. The problem is that for the past year sometimes my hair color is "stripy". YIKES! The rows of color that she put in show up as stripes! Not good at all. I know she uses different colors but this stripes are nasty. My stylist can style my hair so the stripes don't show through but when I'm at home I can't seem to hide them. Guess I'll just face the music and tell her we need to do something different.

I am wondering what methods others use to color their hair.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Comb the color through
Old 06-21-2016, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My hairdresser (have gone to her for 40 years) began combing my color through years ago after my hair came back with lots of gray after chemo. I've been blonde mostly since my mid-20's. Combing the color through gives me various shades of blonde, from light (hides those silver hairs) to nearly light brown. I love it. In the summer, though, it tends to lighten to nearly one color of lighter blonde if I am in the sun a lot.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

I liberated myself
Old 06-21-2016, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The decision to not color at all is easier for some than others. I watched a dark haired friend go through it and her results looked great. My natural color is very light/blonde so the transition was nothing at all. I kept telling my usually critical daughters to tell me if I looked too old but they kept saying they could barely tell the difference. Two years out now and my hair is a very pretty silvery gray. I feel my hair is so much healthier and I love that I'm not always worried about the roots. There comes a point where your gray hair is a losing battle and I was there.

connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 06-21-2016, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have never colored my brown hair. It has lovely silver "highlights" now. My dh thought for years that I was having it done professionally.

My mom always had gray hair. Well,at least it was gray when she was 30, which is as far back as I can remember.. So I never thought it was a disaster to have gray hair. I wear it as a badge of wisdom.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaryMac

Sally Beauty Supply
Old 06-21-2016, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I went to Sally Beauty Supply because the store brand I had been using was no longer working on my grey hair. They suggested a color product made specifically for older hair. They also suggested a slightly stronger peroxide that would make my hair a little more porous, so that more of the hair color would be absorbed. It worked! I am very happy with the results! BTW my hair is a light reddish color!
MaryMac is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

Old 06-21-2016, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've had a patch of white on one side of my head since I was about 24, so I have colored (after plucking!) my hair as close to my (once?) natural color as I can. A sort of medium/darkish brown. What's funny is my colorist uses a dark blonde/light brown color on my hair, but it absorbs a bit darker, gradually fading into some reddish tones. I feel better with darker hair, somewhat washed out when my roots begin to show. She really just colors my roots and about every 3rd time she pulls it through. If I knew I'd have that beautiful silvery hair I admire, I'd take the plunge, but right now, this works for me.

anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

Teaching4life

Letting it grow out
Old 06-21-2016, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have colored my hair dark brown for almost 30 years and always said that I would stop when I retired. I am 5 weeks into it. I am using temporary color to keep from getting that lovely skunk stripe and have cut it short. I hope I can be strong enough to make it through! My dad had the most gorgeous white hair and I definitely inherited it!
Teaching4life is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Hair color!
Old 06-21-2016, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've been a blonde my entire life. I started using Summer Blonde when I was in high school to help stay blonde, but that turned my hair a brassy blonde shade when I had been more of an ash. So I progressed through various hair color kits, then went to a hairdresser to get Frosted and pulled through a cap. For the past I don't know how many years my hairdresser has put a temporary dark blonde rinse on my hair, then she foils the top part in a lighter color. It works for me! And my gray roots don't show as easily with the contrasting colors!

LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

color
Old 06-21-2016, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Like connieg I decided to stop coloring my hair. And it is true that it is very liberating. I started after I retired. Until that time I used a medium brown color and it came to a point where I had to touch up every week.
It took a while and it didn't look very nice during the transition, but now I'm very happy with it. Just like connieg I'm lucky to have silvery white hair, although in the back some parts are still salt and pepper. I get lots of compliments about my hair, and many women tell me they would go gray if they were guaranteed to get the same color as mine.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Blonde
Old 06-22-2016, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have my hair foiled every five weeks...top and sides only. Then it is cut.

Once a year I have a perm to give it some body.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 06-22-2016, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Every 6 weeks I have my roots done, and then my stylist takes a large forked comb and runs it from the roots to the ends. Makes it look like it has highlights without using the foil or cap.
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

Haircolor
Old 06-22-2016, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My dark ash brown hair started going gray in my 20s and I started coloring it soon after. Now my "natural" color is snow white...like almost transparent. Its also very fine and quite thin. A full head of thick white hair is beautiful. Wispy white hair with pink scalp showing is another story...

White hair is very hard to color. Permanent color will wash out in a few weeks. My stylist puts a pre-soak solution on it just to make my hair take the color. She then leaves the color on for 45 minutes. Then she combs it through during the wash out.

While I like my hair dark, the contrast between the dark hair and the snow white roots is not attractive. Its more than the "skunk" look. I look downright bald. I've gradually gone blond. I pulled it off as a towheaded child..I can rock the look now.
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

madelyneva

I'm free of all that!!!
Old 06-22-2016, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Just like a few other posts here, I stopped coloring my hair. I stopped when I retired. Otherwise, I would have been tied down to more and more frequent touchups/returns to the hairdresser.

It does take a bit of courage to see your "true self" emerge as you let your hair grow out to its natural state. My hair was dark brown, highlighted by the hairdresser when I stopped coloring it. It took about 6 months for the coloring to grow out.

My hair is has a lot of natural waves/curls and does very well. I can actually just let it air-dry. Soft white curls shine on their own.

The freedom of not being "tied down" to those scheduled hair appointments is "WONDERFUL!

You can also look at it this way: Take the amount you spend each year getting your grey hair colored. Multiply that amount by 10 years. If you continue coloring your hair, at the end of those 10 years, YOU ARE STILL GOING TO HAVE GREY HAIR UNDER ALL THAT COLORING, and you will have spent all that money. If you stop coloring your hair, you will also still have grey hair, but you will have saved all that money which could be used for something else.

My own preference is that I don't want to be "that lady in her 70's that still colors her hair." My older sister still colors her hair and I respect her preference.

But I just want to me!
madelyneva is offline   Reply With Quote

bookhound

Old 06-22-2016, 11:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

From the time I was 17, I had my light brown hair frosted.

By the time I got into my 50s, the frosting no longer mattered since there was so much gray......

Enter permanent light brown hair coloring.

The beautician does color only the roots & does not pull the color through the rest of the hair when she color & cuts every 6 weeks.
I try to prevent fading by wearing a hat every time I go outside & wash my hair with w/sulfate free shampoo.... only when it needs it. It still fades somewhat, but not as bad as if I didn't do these things.

Once a year, my beautician dyes my whole head of hair, then foils it with light blond streaks.

Is it worth it? Not to me really.....BUT DH really likes my hair color the same as it was when he first met me. & he's the one who has to look at me. So I continue to pay!
bookhound is offline   Reply With Quote

supernova

no color
Old 06-23-2016, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I woke up one morning about 15 years ago. I am 55. I hated my colored hair. It didn't look good anymore. I decided to let it just go grey. I have never regretted that decision. I actually wear it longer now and I ALWAYS get compliments on how pretty it is. Get some good shampoo and a good style. Lots of Pinterest boards out there. Wear good colors because that can make a difference and spend that money on something else. That is what I say.

However, you have to feel good about it, but you know...there is kind a secret look between the ladies who have gone natural.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote