Help

Retired Teachers

Question of the week

>

1959mm

Question of the week
Old 06-24-2016, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Since we seem to be on the topic of how everyone looks, especially their hair, this question seem appropriate. Ha! Ha!

What is the worst haircut you ever had?

1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

jcbsmom

Hair cut
Old 06-24-2016, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, the hair cut itself was not bad I just hated it! It happened when I was in eighth grade, 1968. I had a super short Pixie cut. I have not cut my hair since, only trim the split ends as needed. My DH and I both love my long hair.
jcbsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Pixie Cut!
Old 06-24-2016, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh my, YES, jcbsmom!! The dreaded pixie cut!!! How I hated it, but there were 6 kids in my family, and my mother was NOT going to "do" hair for the 4 girls before school each and every morning!

As soon as I could, I started to grow my hair - teaching and motherhood have caused me to keep it relatively short ---- but at least it's styled!!!
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 06-24-2016, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I was four, my best friend Roxanne and I decided to play beauty parlor. I was very jealous of her long straight blonde hair, and she was equally jealous of my naturally curly brown mop.

Not sure which one of us found the scissors, but she had completed my makeover and I had considerably shortened the left side of her hair when my mom decided to see why we were soooooo quiet.

We both ended up with ultra short pixie cuts that summer!
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

HenrySam

Haircut
Old 06-24-2016, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The pixie! I come from a family of 9 kids & I was first girl so I had cute hair for the first 7/8 years. Then, I had the ugly pixie until I was old enough to do it myself. I strongly disliked that pixie!! Fine, straight as a stick, dishwater blonde hair! I never really understood the "dishwater blonde" label I was given.

HenrySam is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

i had beautiful waist length hair
Old 06-24-2016, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I hated it. I was a five year old tomboy & it wouldn't fit under my baseball cap.

So I cut off my ponytail right at the rubber band.

My mom just sat there & cried.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

I have two
Old 06-24-2016, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

First one when I was about 12. Spedder and I went to a lady to have our hair done. We walked there and walked home. This lady knew ONE hairstyle: the old lady helmet. My mom cried. Luckily, there was a high school girl who was studying to be a hairdresser. Yes, the dreaded pixie cut. But the helmet was AWFUL! The second was when my hair was coming in after chemo. It wasn't the cut. It was the color. It came back muddy brown with a gray skunk stripe. I went to the hairdresser to get it trimmed and begged for color. She told me I should wait one more month (6 months post chemo). I BEGGED. She relented. Seriously orange hair ensued. Luckily, she was able to get some product and she recolored the next week. It was still reddish, but much better than orange.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Chocchip

Old 06-24-2016, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I was 4 my mom cut my bangs... enough said!! Then when I was in my late 40's I went to a new salon and asked to have highlights. (I'd been going to another salon but they had gotten very expensive) I came out looking like I had a zebra like hair do. Blonde streaks all over my head. Needless to say, I returned to the more expensive salon after that experience.
Chocchip is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-24-2016, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was in second grade and being possibly a little ADHD and impulsive decided to cut my own hair two days before picture day. It was absolutely horrendous and the look on my face for that picture was pitiful

Then in third grade there was the home perm my mom gave me. ' Nuff said!
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-24-2016, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Not so much a cut as a style. My dad hated "hair in your face," so until I finally rebelled in 6th grade, I had a super-tight ponytail. Once I won that one, I moved on to the pierced ears battle.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

1971 - The BAD PERM
Old 06-24-2016, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I had lovely long straight hair, but the perm was becoming trending. I went to a stylist in Kansas City who sent me home crying. I ended up with a huge blonde frizzy Afro that was HUGE! I cried and cried! I could not stand looking in the mirror. And it took a lifetime to recover from that very bad perm!
Since then I have kept the same hairstyle basically for years and years.
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

1959mm

Old 06-25-2016, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I had wavy hair that I typically put in long pigtails when I was in high school. One of my friends got a SHAG cut and I thought it was so cool. My mom even called her mother to find out where she had gone. Well, I sat in the chair and almost cried as the hairdresser butchered my hair.. it was so many different lengths and the waves went everyone. Mama said she could not get me out fast enough! That was the last time I went to a fancy hairdresser!
And yes, a friend of mine talked me into a perm when I was in my 30's. Another major mistake!!
1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

brooks56

haircut
Old 06-25-2016, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When I was little, my mom cut my bangs, usually right before picture day and they were always crooked!
brooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Home Perms
Old 06-25-2016, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My mom graduated from beauty school during the late 40's. She knew what she was doing,but oh, how I dreaded those Toni perms. They took all day & smelled horrible! Just about the time I could get the curls to relax it would be another all day perm event.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

Haircut
Old 06-25-2016, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

When I was about 4 my brother, aged 3 and a little devil, grabbed the scissors and gave me a "reverse Mohawk" He basically cut the top part off before I could get away or the screaming brought my mom to investigate. I had wavy blond sides with a huge bald spot on top. There was NO way to disguise it or no haircut to minimize the effect. Fortunately I was too young to really care and it eventually grew out. I believe my mom hid all the scissors though....

In high school I slept on orange juice cans trying to get my curly/wavy hair to lay straight....orange juice cans...was I nuts? It stayed straight for about 10 minutes too...
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

madelyneva

The "George Washington" haircut
Old 06-25-2016, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Yep, I walked out of the hairdresser with a haircut that looked like George Washington's hair from his history portraits.

My hair is so thick and wavy, that it does NOT do well with an "all one length" haircut. It does much better when cut in a layered style.

Needless to say I HATED that haircut and went back in for a cut better suited to my hair type.
madelyneva is offline   Reply With Quote

supernova

The Shag
Old 06-25-2016, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Great question 1959mm...

Mine came in 7th grade with the latest style ----the shag haircut...

I have naturally wavy hair, rather kinky I might add, and with no hair straightener in those days...

it is not hard to imagine how it looked.

My friend in the neighborhood who happened to be a boy with no idea at that age how what you say can get you in trouble said,...

"You look like a poodle."

Growing that out was torture.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Hair!
Old 06-25-2016, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Both bad hair situations involved perms. I had pretty straight long hair my entire life, usually in long braids as a child. My grandmother christened me with the Toni home permanent while my mom was in the hospital giving birth. It was for my first communion. The photos are hysterical! Tried one more perm in the 90's...if only the bangs were not so tightly permed it may not have been THAT bad💇
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

haircut
Old 06-25-2016, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
"You look like a poodle."
Ha ha, I can relate!

Not a haircut but a perm in my case. In the early 80s my now-ex-SIL was in beauty college and wanted to do my hair. I have naturally super straight hair and at that time wavy and big hair was all the rage. She said she could put some body in my hair. Biggest mistake EVER. When it was done, I looked like a poodle in desperate need of a trim. My long hair was overly curly and frizzy, and my small face disappeared in it. I had to go to a hair dresser who said the only way she could fix it was to cut it all off. She gave me a pixie haircut that actually looked pretty good. Needless to say, that was the one and only time I ever had a perm.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 06-25-2016, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

80s hair. Enough said.
chalkdusty is online now   Reply With Quote

connieg

80's indeed
Old 06-25-2016, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Oh that attempt at curly hair in the 80's. My daughters love to mock those photos and tell me I look so much better now.
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

xcaped
Old 06-25-2016, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

My sister and I didn't use orange juice cans-- soup cans instead. We would put our hair in a ponytail at the top of our heads and then use 4 soup cans. It left a weird crimp where the ponytail was, but it was straightened.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

bookhound

Old 06-25-2016, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Mine wasn't exactly a cut, it was more of a styling/updo for my eldest DD's wedding....Have never told anyone bec except DH. I didn't want to make a big deal....It wasn't my wedding!

I finally get a chance to purge!!!!!

The hair stylist was a guest and a relative of the groom.
I probably should have gotten her to do my hair before the wedding for a test "do."

BUT, she lives close to 3 hrs away and I thought that all I needed to do was explain....HUH ??? not a good choice!

She did the whole wedding party's hair & the groom's mom's (her cousin's), first......She did a bunch of hair redos & that took lots of time.

She did my hair last, & was very rushed.

It was almost time for the wedding to begin, so I had no time for a hair redo. Combing it out was not an option. She had sprayed it with lacquery spray.

My hair looked like a big high poof of cotton candy/a poofier version of something my grandmom would have chosen.... Not only was it NOT an attractive style for me, but I looked at least 10yrs older. Think coneheads on SNL.

I really wanted to look good, and if not good, presentable would have been just fine.

Oh well, in 15 or 20 years when I look at those wedding pics, I suppose I'll look back & think that I looked better than I thought. BUT, that hairstyle.......... never!
bookhound is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 06-26-2016, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Long haired biker style in my younger years when I had a Harley and just rode all over. Had a goatee too.

Then I realized I should get a real job, join society, and cut my hair.
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

cjkq

Old 06-26-2016, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Our story takes place in Puerto Rico, on an air force base in the early 60's. I was five years old and cast as an angel in the Christmas pageant at church. White robe, itchy halo, fabulous tinsel wings and one line to say! The day before my big debut, I was messing about with the scissors and cut a chunk out of my bangs. My mother was beside herself. The neighbor, who was studying hair styling, came to the rescue. My bangs were pretty short but the halo covered up a multitude of sins.
This incident became a cautionary tale, told to all of my kindergarten students when we learned about the importance of "scissors safety."
cjkq is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Loving the hair stories!!
Old 06-26-2016, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

These are so hilarious! But Bookhound I laughed so hard at yours. And I could relate. I also had a hairstyle totally WRONG for me at my daughter's wedding. Nothing good can come from a hair stylist mass styling bridesmaids, brides, and mothers. When I look at the pictures I cringe! Not only was my hair bad, I was 10 lbs overweight and my dress was not flattering. It was before I retired and had time to focus on exercise and better health. But like you said, it wasn't my wedding and my daughter's hair was perfect. She was a beautiful bride!
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

Oh my, my.....
Old 06-26-2016, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

....which on to choose?

1) The teeny tiny Dutch Boy bangs my mother gave me in second grade. Bless her little heart.

2) The night BEFORE we took senior high school photos my best friend cut my hair. I WISH it had been an old lady helmet, but it missed.

3) In college I read that if you bend over throw your long hair over, grab a hold of your upside down ponytail and then just cut, it would fall in layers around your face.

ACK!!!!!
anansi is offline   Reply With Quote