Help

Retired Teachers

Purging is all fun and games until...

>

Renea

Purging is all fun and games until...
Old 06-27-2016, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Purging is all fun and games until I went down into our basement and tackled the stash we have down there.

I'm overwhelmed. Today I sorted through the paints and painting supplies. 30 years of stuff that we used on all our projects. The paints are going to the hazardous waste center tomorrow. The extra tools are going to our habitat for humanity restore. The problem is I see shelves and shelves of clamps and tools. My DH is sentimentally attached to the tools, clamps etc. They belonged to his dad or my dad.

I'm just venting. I'm overwhelmed. I see no end in sight. If only I could hire someone to do this for me.

How did you handle the tool "stuff" when you're purging?

Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

madelyneva

Could you offer items to your children?
Old 06-27-2016, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's how my mom handled the "tool stuff."

When visiting my mom after dad passed away, she told us to walk through our dad's workshop and take anything we'd like to have. ("Take what you can use at your house, or take something for sentimental value.") It was easy for mom to "let go" of stuff, knowing it would go to another family member!

There are 5 siblings, and as the years/visits went by, she pretty much cleaned out our dad's workshop.

I took some items that I could actually use and some that brought back memories-like a hammer with my dad's initials carved on the handle-an old, old watering can that was used daily in their garden when it was little.

My brother used to bring his truck on his visits. Being the only son, he took most of it. But NOW he's retired and downsizing, so history is repeating itself, and he is wondering what to do with all his tool "stuff!"

Would any of your children like to see if they wanted anything?

I'm purging and taking some items to Goodwill,(They will give you a receipt with a number on it-takes 2 seconds, go home and enter the list of items/value on their website and get the printout to use for a tax deduction.

I do better just quickly getting my extra things out of my sight quickly!
madelyneva is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Ugh, it's hard
Old 06-27-2016, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have two houses, several barns, and a couple of sheds full of, well, crap. Some is awesome - like old horse yokes, egg baskets/nests/brooders. There are old, old hand tools. But parting with them? Sigh... One daughter-in-law loves to come "shop" in our barns. She is a real HGTV and Pinterest queen who cleans stuff up and displays or repurposes. But there is just TOO much. I don't think we will ever move off the farm, because cleaning out everything is overwhelming. I figure that when we are gone, our sons/wives/grandchildren will curse us mightily.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

supernova

Feel your pain
Old 06-27-2016, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I cleaned out my mom's garage just last year at this time. Actually I worked on her things for almost a year after my stepdad passed away. We had a garage sale last June and then we moved her to a townhouse, so she had to do a ton of purging. She didn't want me to get rid of anything, so much was moved to my house. I was just looking at my garage today thinking I am going to go nuts soon if I don't get it cleaned and organized. I am a bit overwhelmed with tools and lawn equipment.

When you get all figured out and have tips...please post
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

You're all right.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I do better just quickly getting my extra things out of my sight quickly!
This just might be the answer! Gone and gone quickly.

My son is very careful about not acquiring too much stuff. He wants very little of what we have and I don't blame him. But I will ask again.

My only hope is to start one shelf at a time and donate it to Goodwill.
Gone will be good. Ill just keep moving. One shelf at a time. One truck load at a time.

connieg

a hard chore
Old 06-28-2016, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had the huge task of cleaning out my parents' home two hours from my home while moving them to live near us when they had a medical crisis.

Unless they have really nice things, I would just donate the items. Ask the neighbors if they know of a local charity who will take almost anything. It also helps if you offer some things to the local neighbors who have been known to be helpful and kind as you may need their help during the process.

I had a garage sale which was a big hassle and netted a few hundred dollars. I put little items I thought were junk at the end of the driveway and said "FREE". Half full containers of things like turpentine, a jar of nails, etc. and they were GONE! This was a neighborhood with nice homes but many people from "the old country" who looked upon these things as something they could use, or give to their own children...

A local charity carried things from the basement like a nasty old chest of drawers, an old table, etc. Good luck.

This should teach all of us an important lesson: purge now
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

twinsister

Old 06-28-2016, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My DH and I raised our family in the home I was raised. All together, I lived there for over 50 years. Three years ago, we decided to downsize. It was a nightmare to get rid of everything. Our children, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, and even cousins were invited to choose items that they needed and wanted. Even after 2 yard sales, we were losing the battle. Our church took the rest and included it in their annual yard sale. They were thrilled with the profits and we were glad to finally say goodbye. Good luck.

**(I have to admit that when I saw my Christmas dishes, I bought them back...some things are just hard to let go.)
twinsister is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Connieg
Old 06-28-2016, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Connieg, this is our stuff. I've already singlehandedly cleaned out my parents home. That taught me that my "treasures" are just stuff no one really wants.

We are just preparing for a future move to a condo. When we see a home we like I want to be ready to move quickly.

My goal is to have a few tubs neatly packed and ready for a quick move.

Maybe I'm dreaming.

Renea

Guess what I found!
Old 06-28-2016, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm boxing up many many dishes to donate to Goodwill. I've previously looked online to make sure these dishes have no value. Today I noticed an unusual plate from my family so I took the time to look for it on ReplacementsLTD. A plate in this pattern is selling for $199. - $329! I sent pictures of the plate to see soon if they're interested in purchasing this plate. Crossing my fingers.

I hate cleaning out this basement but a little money would cheer me up! Crossing my fingers.

Ruby tunes

Clutter
Old 06-28-2016, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Somewhere I read something along the lines of: We spend the first forty years of life acquiring lots of stuff, and the second forty years trying to get rid of it.
Good luck to us all as we keep trying!

Ruby tunes is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

The joke is on me!
Old 06-29-2016, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

After a few calls to Replacements LTD, I discovered my "valuable" plate is worth $15. Heaven's. I really wanted to have a bit of extra mad money, but I guess I'll have to settle for enjoying a few clean shelves in the basement.

lots2do

Purging or redistributing?
Old 07-17-2016, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Hey! We are trying to do that too but we've already moved. I am getting sicked of seeing boxes marked: K, go thru. I keep finding bags of mismatched socks of all things! That will be a good rainy day project! I have a weekly sit and sew group that I've taken some of my chikdren's craft supplies to. We have a thrift shop for an animal shelter and a dump store that'll take just about anything. So it's not a matter of finding places to take it but a matter of devoting the time.
Good luck, I feel your pain!
To the poster with the plate:
About that valuable plate, don't discount its value. Replacements probably only wants to pay you $15 and turn around and make a hefty profit.
lots2do is offline   Reply With Quote