Help

Retired Teachers

Retired healthy

>

Turkeyrun

Retired healthy
Old 01-01-2015, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good morning all! Here's to the first day of a New Year--and an even better first day to our healthier selves!
Stand on that scale...take a big gulp! Face whatever that darling little object says--step off and begin a new and healthier life!
We are here for each other---Let's do it!!!
One week at a time....

Turkeyrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Turkeyrun

Dang!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just weighed myself! Heavens! How I have let myself go!
Well...one day at a time--portion control!!!!!

FasDancin

Unlucky and Lucky
Old 01-01-2015, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a built in mechanism that holds my weight in check. I am a medium frame 5'7" male which is definitely smaller than the average man. I am unlucky in the sense that if I go a few pounds over 150, I develop Acid Reflux. Luckily. since I don't want to take medication to deal with it, I will drop a few pounds to stay around 150 and in a few days the acid reflux goes away. If I gain a few pounds, it will come back. Does anyone else deal with acid reflux this way, or do you just take the meds. Good luck to anyone trying to get the weight off. It is not easy, but I hate medicine.
FasDancin is offline   Reply With Quote

twinsister

Thanks Turkeyrun
Old 01-01-2015, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I need to get started and I am glad to have others to keep me accountable. Here's to a healthier 2015!
twinsister is offline   Reply With Quote

supernova

Old 01-01-2015, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I weighed in and it was not pretty. So, here goes. I want to be healthy, so hopefully we can all motivate each other. My plan...same as Turkey Run...portion control and going to add bike riding to my day. I am hoping the bike riding will be good for the rheumatoid arthritis.

supernova is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 01-01-2015, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Good attitude, Turkeyrun. Hope you meet your goal. Stay determined!

For all:

*Step on that scale daily once you meet your goal.
*Use an app to help you track your calories each day. I usually plan my day at breakfast time so that I don't go over my calorie goal for the day. I already know what I have left for dinner and what I'll eat. Yes, it's regimented, but it's so worth it!
*Brisk walks in your neighborhood each day that last at least a half-hour are great for your spirit and help you stay fit and trim.

Let's check in every day on this board to keep everybody in control.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Turkeyrun

Carolyn/Supernova
Old 01-01-2015, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Posting every day sounds good...
...as for the bike---mine has been looking at me for months, time to get on it!!!!

xcaped

Oink, Oink
Old 01-01-2015, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yeah, Its time. I don't use a scale. I have a special pair of jeans that quickly get tight it I gain weight. I try them on once a week. Tried them on today. Oh Oh...

My body also lets me know when I've overindulged. I don't have acid reflux but arthritic hips. When my weight goes above a certain threshold, they hurt. I really don't want to take advil all the time.

I've found that I can't really starve off pounds, I have to work them off. Usually, I find a home project, one that involves a lot of climbing, bending, sustained effort, etc and just do it. A couple of days later, the pounds are gone and I've accomplished something around the house. This spring I painted the deck and rails...twice. Once I'm back to my target weight, I can keep it off with diet. There's a mess in my basement I'm going to tackle next week. Its going to take moving stuff, scrubbing, and a gazillion trips up and down the stairs...

I lost a lot of weight after I retired and am now just trying to keep it off. Its get old. Weight gain is relentless and I am not a terribly disciplined individual.

What worked for me was to eat breakfast, plan my meals and plan my calories, make no foods forbidden, daily exercise, and a cheat meal on Friday night. I'm short and stocky, have the metabolism of a snake and thyroid disease. Keeping it off is a bi!@&...
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

FasDancin

Xcaped
Old 01-01-2015, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Sorry about your arthritic pain. I am a true believer that many times God gives your body warning signs that something needs to change in your lifestyle to improve your quality of life. With you. it is pain in your joints and with me, it's acid reflux. You have a choice to make lifestyle changes and correct it or suffer the consequences. Good luck with the effort that you are making to stay away from the advil. Self discipline is a virtue.

juliet4

Weight
Old 01-01-2015, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't have a scale but will weight myself at the gym tomorrow. I'm adding one more day at gym, cutting out daily wine(s) and reducing sugar and gluten.

juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

Day One
Old 01-01-2015, 10:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am in agreement with many of you, but Juliet4's goals of adding another day at the gym, cutting out daily wine, and reducing sugar and gluten sounds like exactly what I need. I made it to the gym today and ate (mostly) very well. Start fresh tomorrow.

Thanks for starting this up. And Happy New Year to you all!

anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

edfan

I weighed in
Old 01-02-2015, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

and I need a plan. I'm thinking walking 20 mins a day and eating a fruit and a veg. daily (yes, that would be an improvement). FasDancin, I get reflux with heavy meals and I just pop an OTC pill to keep me going. I'm not too overweight but I'm not too healthy, either.
edfan is online now   Reply With Quote

broad

Acid reflux
Old 01-02-2015, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Fasdancin I never heard of this before. I take medication for acid reflux and would love to get off it. I'm about 20 pounds over my ideal weight - could losing this make a difference. If so this is really a big motivator for me. I just got a Fitbit which I love! Thanks for sharing this. Maybe 20 pounds on a 5 ft person is a factor. Duh?
broad is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Weight
Old 01-02-2015, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

One more idea...throw out the leftover candy and cookies right now! We brought some to a house party yesterday and trashed the remainders. I do better with less temptations close by. I hate wasting food but I made an exception.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

So far
Old 01-02-2015, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Today I have gained about 5 pounds beyond my constant crappy weight. I have eaten a healthy breakfast, did about 30 minutes on the elliptical, and DH and I are joining the local gym so I can get back to Zumba and other activities. I also am tracking food and exercise on My Fitness Pal.

DH downloaded an ap on my phone to track my steps but I never carry my phone.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

FasDancin

Broad
Old 01-02-2015, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I think the extra weight you're carrying, the amount of food that you are eating to maintain that extra weight, and the acid reflux probably go hand in hand. Before Thanksgiving, I weighed 148 and felt great. I hadn't had any stomach problems in a long time. Since I felt so good, when my wife fixed our Thanksgiving meal, I naturally overindulged and really enjoyed the food. Well there were leftovers for the next several days at my house, my mothers house and the in-laws. We had all the family annual gatherings for Thanksgiving and Christmas, parties that we went to with friends and the large amount of fudge laying around. I had gained 5 pounds by Christmas Day and I could really tell my Acid Reflux was starting to flare up. I actually woke up on Christmas Day about midnight and threw up. I have been through this several times over the past couple of years. For the past week, I have went back to what I was doing before Thanksgiving which is eat a light breakfast, a heavier meal at lunch, and a light supper with absolutely no food eaten after 6 o'clock. It took about a month to get myself in this condition once again and it will take about 2-3 weeks to get myself back to normal. When I get back to normal again and get the extra 5 pounds off, I will be able to go back to a little bigger meals, but it's always best to eat your last meal of the day at least 4 hours before you go to bed. I will tell myself that I will behave and not have to go through that again. However, as you know, it is really hard not to eat. Especially, when everything is feeling good. When we feel good, we think we are invincible and often overdo things. Good luck to you.

broad

Thanks FasDancin
Old 01-02-2015, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Good information, thank you.

I need to lose 20 pounds to be at the right BMI and your input on Acid Reflux has got me thinking.

I had a bout of diverticulitis last month, going to Gastroenterologist on Monday and will probably have a colonoscopy. I have cut out all nuts and any food that does not completely digest. I am walking every day now and keeping to under 1200 calories, only real food, no sugar or white flour. I'd love not to have to take meds anymore.
broad is offline   Reply With Quote

FasDancin

Broad
Old 01-02-2015, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

If you are only having 1200 a day the pounds should come off pretty quick. Great that you are only having the GOOD FOR YOU food and leaving the JUNK alone. That will keep your energy up. I have completely stayed away from any type of snack (JUNK) since Christmas Day. For instance, some folks would say peanut butter is a snack. I love peanut butter, so I will have it as part of my meal. Today for lunch, I had a Crock Pot Chicken Sandwich on Wheat Sub Roll, no condiments, and 4 peanut butter on cracker. I usually get hungry in the afternoon, so I will have a cup of coffee to help me get through a few hours until supper. As you can see, it is no fun to deal with dieting, but I feel so much better than my worst point a few days ago. You didn't develop Acid Reflux overnight and it will not go away in a day or two. Give yourself at least 21-30 days with what you are doing now and if you're like I have been over the past 2-3 years, you will have a turn around in your digestive health. I have went through this several times in the past. Again, best of luck.

supernova

Day 2
Old 01-02-2015, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I rode my bike for the second day in a row. Been very good eating today.

Purged and organized two closets so lots of toting boxes up and down stairs.

Can I keep it up? I think I am pretty motivated. Don't like the way I feel or look. I have let some pounds creep up on me with that last year teaching and dealing with my stepdad's cancer.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote

doneami

Extra
Old 01-02-2015, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

My DH does a lot of juicing and I plan to follow that path as well. I seldom use a scale and not about to use one after the holidays. Give me 2 weeks of consistency and I will have shed most of the pounds. I just need to get back on my regimen.
I'm ready to get on board with the rest of you.
doneami is offline   Reply With Quote

goldwinggirl

Inspiration !
Old 01-03-2015, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

This thread has inspired me!! I walked 1 mile after reading your posts! Thanks!!
goldwinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

almost with you!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I was ready to get on the bandwagon but now have a flu/ick. I'll be with you when I recover. Actually, I ate very little today but then I moved very little too!
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote