Help

Retired Teachers

Is this normal?

>

Mr Sensai

Is this normal?
Old 03-09-2015, 02:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have 4 days left until I am pushed out the door. I have just realized that this is my last Monday teaching in a classroom.

I have this odd feeling (hard to explain) as I see the other teachers prepping for next year and planning events of next year and realizing I won't be a part of it. I have gotten the cold shoulder from most at my school (jealousy I assume) the last few days too.

I also feel like what now? In the sense that I have lots of ideas and plans but way too many of them. Where do I even start? How do you relax? I mean the last time I was able to be carefree and destressed was ummm way too long ago.

Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

What makes you think I am relaxed? LOL
Old 03-09-2015, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is not my personality because I tend to worry about things too much.
However, many retired folks are so busy they have no idea how they had time to work. I am not really one of those. I do not often feel the deadline pressure these days which is a relief.
Perhaps the others are just focused on their own interests more than yours now. This time of year begins the rush to finish up those zillion things that remain in the curriculum as well as planning for next year's improved agenda. Not to worry. You will have your own.
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

Just smile
Old 03-09-2015, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your coworkers are likely jealous that you will soon be out of there and they aren't. Personally, when I was in the trenches, I didn't really want the teachers who were leaving to do the planning for next year. This issue will soon be history.
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Your Feelings Are Totally Normal!
Old 03-09-2015, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is an exciting, yet scary time as you prepare to enter the retirement world. I would just advise you to give yourself some time to de-program from the teacher calendar. Take some time to enjoy life. Your goals and projects will fall in place and in no time at all you will be busy, satisfied, and HAPPY! Wishing you an easy transition!
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 03-09-2015, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Your experience is normal. I think fellow staffers naturally detach from anyone who is leaving but I wouldnt take it personally. They are pressed to stay focused so they can plan quickly for next year. These work friends are are moving on and you will too.

I retired almost a year ago. It was very hard for me to learn to slow down and that life doesnt have to be rushed. At first I was consumed with furiously cleaning and decluttering my house. That was the pace I kept all of my working life so it took awhile to decompress. Now I can get 7-8 hours sleep which I havent had since I was a child. Days are far more relaxed and life is good. You will get there but it takes time. Good luck.

MathWA is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Mixed feelings
Old 03-09-2015, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Accept that for some of us this is a confusing transition as well as joyful. Believe me, I have never regretted my choice to retire but being sort of driven and productive is just who I am. I've tried to "relax" but I just cannot sit still very long. I love the feeling at the end of the day that I have accomplished something. I think it has taken me almost two years to explore why I was not "jumping for joy" the way some retirees are able to. I have my own way of processing this time and you will also find your way. I now try NOT to overschedule my time as that is my natural inclination. Go one step at a time and allow yourself time to grieve a bit as well as feel relief and joy. A few projects, working out, perhaps a book club and all of a sudden you will also know the feeling of "how did I ever have time to work"?
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

FasDancin

Check
Old 03-09-2015, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When that first retirement check is actually deposited in your account and you see that you are going to be OK financially, ALL WILL BE WELL!!!!!
FasDancin is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 03-09-2015, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Your treatment isn't uncommon. I don't think staff members realize until they retire how it feels to suddenly seem invisible. My guess is that they are not jealous but, just uncaring and busy. We can feel that staff members are our friends, but often they are simply coworkers and nothing more. They carry on about their business and see no value in pursuing a friendship that has nowhere to go. Pack your bags and brace yourself for retirement, the best part of your life!
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

supernova

yes, it is normal
Old 03-09-2015, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had no doubt that retiring was the answer for me. I was definitely ready, but when you have done something for 31 years, it is very hard to turn that switch off. I was really over the drama of school and actually had my feelings hurt over the fact that little was done for me. I had always sent cards to those that retired and had sent some to people who were retiring at the same time as me. No cards in return. So to say that I was not a little hurt would be an understatement.

Then, you come home. For a couple of months, I was simply tired. I had to let myself just recover from the stress. I kept thinking I should be doing something spectacular, but what? It has been 8 months now and I can honestly say that it has taken most of that to get my new groove on. I am finally relaxing and enjoying the days. I don't feel the need to rush anymore. I try to really be grateful for the things that pop in my mind that are things I couldn't do while teaching. For instance, don't have to go to the grocery store on the weekend. Read a book right in the middle of the day and get lost in it. It took me awhile to relax.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 03-09-2015, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Under the circumstances your feelings are totally normal! I am sure a lot of this is due to the uncertainty of your immediate future and insecurity you are feeling about it. I think once classes end you should take a little time to just kick back and relax! That will help you clear your head so you can take the time to think and plan for what is to come! Good luck to you on your last few days!

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Give yourself time
Old 03-09-2015, 09:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Retirement is, or should be, completely non-competitive. There is no one right way to do it. There is a line of poetry from a famous Spanish poet, "El camino se hace al andar." Translation: The path is created as you go. Pick a couple of your ideas or plans to try out. Soon you will have the time and freedom to see if they are right for you. If not, try something else. You will find your way! Be patient and kind to yourself, meanwhile.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Alf Abett

What now?...
Old 03-10-2015, 12:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It's normal. I just retired early December 31st. It was my choice. I wasn't being forced out. I didn't get the cold shoulder. My coworkers and students were sad to see me go but happy for me.

It is odd to see everyone continuing to plan ahead and you know you're not a part of that. I cried many times but I'm over that now. I know now I no longer have to do lesson plans, parent conferences with crazy parents, put up with ignorant admin, kids who don't want to learn, after school tutorials, cafeteria food, morning or afternoon duty, IEP meetings, state testing, grades, report cards.....did I leave anything out???

I do miss teaching, being around kids and my coworkers. I have gone back to sub a few times. It's not too bad. I can work if, and when I want. I've finally started taking time for myself and doing things I want to do but never had the time or energy to do. I can tell you my blood pressure is MUCH better...less stress. No regrets!!! I believe you'll also learn to relax and enjoy life more. Good luck to you!!!
Alf Abett is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

sage advice here
Old 03-10-2015, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'd reply to all of you wonderful people via quote and reply but that would make for a lengthy post!

Yes, I am uncertain as the plan was one more year but now after being forced out the plans I had have been moved up a year. Yes, the rest of the staff who is staying is more focused on next year and planning and me wandering about the school looking bored might not be something that invited people to talk to me. Yes, I am confused as I have been in education for ummm 13 years and transitioning is weird. I mean even when my school in Japan was closed for good and I was looking for a job I felt like I needed to teach and now I am the opposite where I feel like I need to do "something spectacular"

I will slow down and I will go to the grocery store on a Wednesday and I will go swimming at the pool in my condo and I will not overschedule. I will take care of myself more and put myself first (no more putting the school first like I used to do).

I just have to learn to breathe in a relaxed manner and smile a little bit more.
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote