Help

Retired Teachers

am I weird?

>

EnglishRose

am I weird?
Old 04-11-2015, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So many retirees have written about missing school. I LOVED my job for 30 years, but last May I walked away from it and have not looked back. I can honestly say that I have not missed the stress, pressure, and endless work one time. I don't miss the students or my fellow teachers.
I think some retirees hate the idea of being a nobody, but just look around d you!
Wow!
The possibilities are endless. Each day we can change lives if we want, or,if we want, just enjoy this beautiful world.
I LOVE retirement!
So...am I weird?

EnglishRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Turkeyrun

Not weird!!!!
Old 04-11-2015, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I walked out just like you! Gave everything but my Seuss stuff away--every single bit of 20 years of teaching. I stay in contact with a few teachers who are friends--AS FRIENDS . Don't miss it--and I used to LOVE, love, love teaching. I am making cards, gardening, playing Scrabble and mahjong in groups--traveling--and the list goes on.
YOU ARE NOT WEIRD!!!!! Keep on loving retirement!
Turkeyrun is offline   Reply With Quote

supernova

Not weird!
Old 04-11-2015, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't miss it one single bit. I felt funny right at first...like I was a little out of my comfort zone, but it didn't take me long to find my footing. I am enjoying no stress, no schedules, time for my family, and hobbies that I never previously had time for.

I wake up everyday excited to just be at home cleaning or sewing. I spend time sitting on my deck relaxing now. I was always too wound up for that.

Yep, I can say for sure, "I don't miss it a bit!"

Last edited by supernova; 04-11-2015 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: too
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

sort of like cruising
Old 04-11-2015, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A day on a cruise beats a day at work anytime.

A day being retired beats a day in the classroom anytime.

I totally agree with the other's comments. Just like so many people think teaching is easy and you must think all your students are cookbook cute and adorable. We sometimes believe this line of thinking and forget the negative parts.

I am constantly surprised that I miss very little of my former career.
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Not me!
Old 04-11-2015, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't miss a thing about teaching. After 38 years I'd enjoyed many days but I have no desire to repeat any part of teaching.

(maybe I do miss the hugs a bit. )

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Kyotodeb

Old 04-11-2015, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I didn't miss it for a minute! You are not weird.
Kyotodeb is offline   Reply With Quote

landsoftly

Am going to retire in June
Old 04-11-2015, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

and this is how I feel, as you describe, right now. In reading others' posts, it seems as if many go thru a range of emotions. For 5 yrs., I have planned to retire. It was not as organized as all that, it evolved. Finally, I feel peace.
I know that my only challenge now is to get thru each day w/out saying something regrettable. I WANT OUT. Like that, for instance. One must keep one's decorum, must keep one's decorum. Did I mention that I want out.
If you are weird, then, EnglishRose, you have plenty of company--and all of us seem quite normal, don't you agree?
landsoftly is offline   Reply With Quote

2grade

Old 04-11-2015, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As a devoted retired teacher, it's not PC to say that you don't miss your students or your school staff. It's not PC to trash all those photos and mementos. But we did and it's OK.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 04-11-2015, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I loved my years of teaching and retired before I planned to (moved and decided not to go back to fulltime work). I was very surprised at how much I didn't miss it

I volunteer occasionally at my grandchildren's school and I enjoy it but I have no desire to be back in the classroom fulltime again.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Retiring in June
Old 04-11-2015, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

And I know that it may not be PC to say I won't miss the kids, but after a week like last week, I really don't think I will miss all the exposure to dysfunction

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

miss teaching
Old 04-11-2015, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I do not miss teaching one tiny bit. Not one dust mote on the back of ant's second toe bit. Nothing. Nada. Was I once dedicated? Absolutely. Lived and breathed, happily planned, made doodahs and cards and posters and color co-ordinated all my folders, gave hours of thought to individual students and never gave up. The kids loved me, I loved them, and I even loved some of their parents.

I have never, ever said "I miss teaching" since the moment my body walked through the door. I don't think I even looked back at the building and sighed with contentment at a job well done.

I was happy then (most of the time until the last two-three years) and I'm happy now.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

I really should get used to this
Old 04-11-2015, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am so often the odd man out, and I am once again thinking some different thoughts.

However. I wasn't ready to retire either. Not totally.

For some reason, lately I've been thinking that I'd like to go back for just one year. Just one.

I know in my heart of hearts that I'm not going to do it, and that won't break my heart. But still, I do think about it.

For anyone who has read my posts on this board, though, you know that my transition to retirement is definitely still a work in progress, 3 years later.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

HenrySam

Old 04-11-2015, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Since I'm still subbing, I am not totally retired from teaching but I was very surprised that I didn't miss it more. I loved, loved, loved teaching until about the last three years. I loved all parts...but, I guess the timing was right because even though I'm still subbing 1-2 days a week, it's not missing teaching that I struggle with. I am having some trouble establishing a new routine or "normal." Being a teacher means your life is exhausting, stress filled, child centered, etc and then to suddenly be able to think about my needs, well, it's taking some adjustment time.
The money from subbing is nice, but having something concrete to do once in awhile is important at this point. I have lots of friends & try to stay busy but I would like to learn to be comfortable not being busy. Does anyone else know what I mean?
HenrySam is offline   Reply With Quote

emptynester54

Old 04-11-2015, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I don't miss teaching one bit, either. I volunteered for 3 hours this week. I thought a few of the kids were delightful, but I could not wait to get back to the book I was reading at home.
emptynester54 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Count me in with the WEIRD group!
Old 04-11-2015, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Teaching was my LIFE for many, many years! That life was stressful, busy, happy, horrible, stimulating, wonderful, hard, challenging, inspirational, and more. It was my LIFE and everyone knew it! They all told me I would miss it. I thought that I would miss it. I planned to go back, to sub or volunteer. Three years later I haven't stepped foot in my old school and I (guiltily) have not missed it! My first year out I think I suffered a little with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. It was hard to jump off that treadmill that was my life as a teacher. But I celebrated my new found freedom. I saw the world more clearly. I appreciated nature and had time to be outside! I stayed home.... I had longed to see what my house felt like in the morning when the light came in the windows. I spent time with friends. I wrote sympathy cards, sent birthday cards, made chicken soup for sick friends, and did so many things I never had time to do when I was teaching. Sometimes I still THINK about subbing or volunteering in the schools..... but then a little voice says, "But you have been so healthy since you retired... Schools are breeding grounds for germs, cold & flu, etc." And I always listen to that voice!
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

HenrySam
Old 04-11-2015, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Yes, I do understand what you mean about trying to be comfortable with not being busy.

For so many years, I felt bad or guilty if I wasn't productive on any given day.

So to feel comfortable without being busy or so-called productive is something I'm still learning.

At the same time, though, there are so many things that I would love to do/try. And that, of course, would suck me right back into being too busy for my own good.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-11-2015, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am right there with you friend, so if you are weird, we can be weird together! I could not get out that door fast enough! I have not missed it for a minute, not one bit!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 04-11-2015, 11:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Not missing it much. I take a peek at the school webpage to see the new faces and events. I saw the opening ceremony event posted with teachers all dressed up and realized I am so happy I am not there putting on a show, mingling with parents and answering questions.

Heck, I read in the Teachers Lounge board about Spring Break and think ha ha I don't have to worry about that!

I do feel like I have one good year left in me but content being forced out the door one year early. To use a sports analogy it is like the boxer who came back for one more fight and got his ass handed to him. I'd rather leave one year early than one year too late.
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Literata
Old 04-12-2015, 05:11 AM
This message has been deleted by Literata.

readbks2

Old 04-12-2015, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Not weird at all! After 41 years, I deserve an endless summer! I never did miss it. I still see a few friends for dinner once a month, and hearing them gripe about school makes me realize how happy I am retired!
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

No, absolutely not!
Old 04-12-2015, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

But if you are, I'm right there with you! I was a dedicated and hardworking teacher for many years, but since I retired almost three years ago, I have not been back, even once. My feeling is.....Thanks for the memories, but I'm done! I simply LOVE retirement and having ME time!

I am still connected to a few working teacher friends but those are mostly former HS students of mine who are now teaching. I support them by listening and mentoring, but not at school. I did do therapy dog visits for a year at an elementary school, but in a different district. We were asked to go there, and I didn't want to say no. I am very involved in my local division of the CA Retired Teachers Association (CalRTA.org) I feel it's important to support the group that works to protect my hard earned teacher pension. Those are my only school connections, by choice! I LOVED teaching, but that was then, this is now!

Last edited by Ruby tunes; 04-12-2015 at 11:27 AM..
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Mr. Sensai
Old 04-12-2015, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Excellent thought.

Quote:
I'd rather leave one year early than one year too late.

joyfulcalm

Old 04-12-2015, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Like so many of us on this board, I put my heart, soul, time, energy, even $ into my teaching career. For better or for worse, it was a HUGE part of my life. But when I retired---Wow!!! I never looked back--except in appreciation for somehow getting through it all to arrive in this wonderful retired life. I do volunteer tutor in a neighborhood school, but I always knew I would do this, and it's so totally different from having an actual classroom teaching job. I can help a child, but I have absolutely no stress--and I'm home in time for lunch. I have NO desire to be in charge of a classroom again, even as a substitute. And I certainly don't miss the data meetings, observations, report cards and other paperwork, etc. I can volunteer on my own terms; I can enjoy an extra cup of tea; I can read books that aren't teaching related; I can live each and every day the way I want to live it. Life is good!
joyfulcalm is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 04-12-2015, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Retirement means something different to us all. Everyone here deserved it, and what each of us does with it is interesting. I enjoy my days, yes, but like Hideeho I sometimes miss being productive.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

Weird Sister!
Old 04-12-2015, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

That's me. I really do not miss teaching. I might miss some of the interactions I had with some of my favorite students, but let's face it, the majority of the stuff, the kids, the parents, the administrators. Not a chance.

I'm weird and I'm proud!
I say it out loud!

anansi is offline   Reply With Quote