Retired Teachers

Question of the week

>

1959mm

Question of the week
Old 06-26-2015, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Age test

Who learned to read with Sally, Dick, and Jane? Do you remember going to the library when you were younger? Share your memories!!

1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

3togo

Memories
Old 06-26-2015, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, I learned to read with Sally, Dick and Jane! As for the library, we had a Bookmobile that came around once a week. I loved that day. When I was around 11 they built a new library near my house. I was in heaven! I spent many happy hours there.
3togo is offline   Reply With Quote

tmar

Question
Old 06-26-2015, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did.. We almost named our big fluffy orange cat Puff! She ended up Nala instead. Our library was in a big building built by Andrew Carnegie. It had steps going up the front (before handicap-accessibility became an issue). And of course the huge card catalog! I read so much that I ran out of children's books (and this was before tween authors) so I read classics like Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, etc.
tmar is offline   Reply With Quote

emptynester54

Old 06-26-2015, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I learned to read with Dick and Jane. (Oh, look, look!)

I went to the library often as a child. It was downtown next to my mom's office, so I would walk to see her and pick up a book. I read all the Nancy Drews that way.
emptynester54 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 06-26-2015, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh, oh! Yes, yes! Remember Sally! Remember Dick! Remember Jane!

I found an old Dick and Jane reader at a yard sale when my ds Andy was just learning to read. I happily gave it to him and explained my nostalgia. He read a page or two and exclaimed, "Mom, this is boring! It has no plot!" Of course, he was right...He was a discriminating reader, even at age 4.

I have fond memories of going to the library with my mom and siblings every week. I would get as many books as they would let me take. I remember Mrs. Dragee the librarian (her first name was Mildred) having a conversation with my mother when I tried to take out Ulysses by James Joyce...but my mother said that if it was that inappropriate for my age, I wouldn't understand it, so there was no problem! I did try valiantly to understand it...but I really didn't. I was eleven, I think.

We used to keep the library books on a shelf in the downstairs bathroom till my mom had a pregancy with extreme morning sickness and was constantly having to evict one raptly reading child or another (usually me, i think) off the pot so she could throw up. Then she made us move the books to our rooms...where they got lost under the bed.

lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Yes
Old 06-26-2015, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I fondly remember learning to read with Dick,Jane, & Sally. Of course, I can't leave out Spot,the dog & Fluff, the cat. My favorite thing to do was the workbook that came along with the series.

I loved going to the library. I read all the orange biographies of famous Americans. Another favorite book was The Lonely Doll by Dare Wright. That book was told using black & white photos of a doll & her teddy bear friends. Years later I bought that book for 25 cents at the library's book sale. The book is well worn & held together with black tape. When I retired I brought that book home. Even the boys in my class loved that book.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Alice and Jerry
Old 06-26-2015, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

were my dearest friends in 1st grade. The books had wonderful colored pictures and the story had plots. We moved in January had new school had Dick and Jane. I missed Alice and Jerry so much. Found some at yard sales a few years ago. In 3rd grade teacher had the first two Box Car Children. I was a teacher before I found the rest of the series.

My town had four libraries. A main building, two branches in different shopping centers, and a little red brick building in the park. A trip to the library was a weekly event.

I loved Cherry Ames, a nurse mystery series, whenever I got $1.00 I'd buy another book in the series. Still have them packed away in the office.

My mother loved to read. My dad read trade magazines and the three daily papers. We also had magazines in our home: Life, Newsweek, Consumer Reports, National Geographic, and one about travel. It was oversize and I would use the wonderful pictures for my school reports.

Beginning in Jr. High we had 6 required reading books every summer and then were "tested" on them in September. Took the fun out of reading!!!
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

Yes!
Old 06-26-2015, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I learned to read with Sally, Dick, Jane, Mother, Father, Puff, and, our favorite, Spot! Who knew there was any other way?
On a side note, I had a professor in a graduate Reading class once who read the entire text of one of those readers--from the end to the beginning--and it made no difference whatsoever.
I do remember going to the library as a child. There was also a summertime bookmobile when we moved to a bigger town. We used to get Dr. Seuss books in the mail from a book club. We got Highlights magazine which I really liked. We also ordered many books when the teacher would be taking up money for a book order. I was addicted to biographies as a fourth/fifth grader. As a sixth grader I used to love to go to town with my family and buy a new Trixie Beldon mystery. Can you tell I was a total bookworm?
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

I learned with Sally, Jane and Dick
Old 06-26-2015, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

and the first year I taught they still were using an updated version of those books. Another first grade teacher during a staff meeting brought up to the Principal that we needed new books. He was hesitant and then she threatened him with, "I swear if I have to hear 20 more students read the story about Sally jumping over the puddle with her umbrella, I am going to jump out of the window in front of the kids." We got a new basal series the next year. And I still remember that.

The language in those books were so stilted, we used to make fun of it at lunch in the teacher's room by talking like the dialogue in the book. Look, look,Oh look! Mrs. Smith has chicken salad today. Oh,no. NO, no, no! She forgot the mayo. Bad Mrs. Smith. Bad, bad, bad.

Yes, we walked to the library and had a card with a number on it. The librarian had a pencil that had a little rubber stamp clipped on. She would write the card number on the book card and then stamp the date. What kid could ever imagine that today?
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Nope but..
Old 06-26-2015, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I credit this to my reading skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJnDMq0PxJw

and this man

http://www.neontommy.com/sites/defau...riccompany.jpg

Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

HenrySam

Yes
Old 06-26-2015, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Dick and Jane & the whole works! I have a copy of a Dick & Jane reader copyright 1949. It's funny because when the new, revised Dick & Jane sets came out, My first graders were in love with them! They thought it was so neat I had learned to read using them.
I was a total bookworm and would beg my parents to take to me to a library 12miles away. We had a Bookmobile but just once a month.): Every Christmas I asked only for books. My favorite growing up was Trixie Belden & over several Christmases I rec'd about 20-25 of them from my godparents. I was in heaven!
HenrySam is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

mhugs
Old 06-26-2015, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I also learned to read with Alice, Jerry and Jip. There was a whole set of them in my very first teaching classroom. While I weeded that classroom library out, I took those home. I loved those stories!

We had a library that we visited every week. I loved the smell of that place. I would take out as many books as I could.

The first book I read on my own ( it may have been memorized, actually) was The Man Who Didn't Do His Dishes ( or something like that). I also have a copy of that book and shared it with my final class. They loved it.

Every night my mom read us a story from 365 Bedtime Stories. Each Christmas our family got a new copy to begin in January.

I was the type of reader that got hung up with a genre. I went through the Nancy Drew stage, mysteries, biographies, comic books, teen romance,and the list goes on!
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-26-2015, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I did! And yeah, loved the library! My mom took us often!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

reading
Old 06-26-2015, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I didn't grow up in the US, so I did not experience the Dick, Jane & Sally readers. I did learn to read phonetically in my first language, which was very easy because it was straightforward and not as convoluted as English with its myriad rules. That meant that I was a fluent reader by the end of grade one, and read every book I could get my hands on.

Once I discovered the public library in second grade, I was in heaven. For little me that first library was the most amazing place on earth, and I can still conjure up its smells, sounds and colors, its comfortable chairs and sofas, its shiny wooden floors and the art work on the wall.

I was what they now call a "free range" kid, allowed to come and go as I pleased as long as my mother knew where I was going. A large percentage of the time that would be the library. In summer I would be there on a daily basis, swapping out finished books for new ones. I spent many rainy days in that library, reading book after book, forgetting to go home for lunch, only to have my younger brother come by to get me.

I am so happy that my DDs and now my DGDs love reading and always have books around.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 06-27-2015, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Yes! Dick and Jane! Loved those books!

I had forgotten about the bookmobile! We had one too. We also had a little library I practically lived at every summer. I loved books and reading and still do. I credit my dad for my love of reading.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

Oh, Oh!
Old 06-27-2015, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I still own a copy of that series. I love its sweetness and the innocence of it all.

I used to walk a good distance (several miles RT) with my siblings to the library. Such a good habit considering my mom didn't model reading for us and didn't go. She watched her soap operas while we were gone...
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Dick and Jane
Old 06-27-2015, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I learned with the Catholic version of Dick and Jane. In third grade I move and went to the public school and was surprised to see the public school version.

My mom took me to the library every week to take out books. I was so thrilled that I could read The Cat In the Hat by myself. I am sure it was the first edition!
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
LuBelle
Old 06-27-2015, 07:48 AM
This message has been deleted by LuBelle. Reason: Duplicate!

LuBelle

Yes Dick, Jane, Baby Sally, Spot & Puff!
Old 06-27-2015, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Those books were sweet memories of first grade. For some reason I learned to read before I went to school. I was painfully shy, so the Dick & Jane books gave me such confidence. I was put in the "Bluebird" reading group with the other top readers and I thrived & loved school! Unfortunately in third grade my school started a new reading program that was based on phonics. I just did not get phonics! I had always been a sight word reader. I got bumped down to the "Redbird" group because of my poor performance on the phonics worksheets. But I continued to be a voracious reader and was a regular customer at the Public Library! I too remember the wonderful musty book smell of that place. I loved reading the biographies with the black silhouettes, the Little House on the Prairie books, and my favorite Nancy Drew! If I hadn't grown up to be a teacher I would have loved to have become a lady detective!!!
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

I was not a reader....
Old 06-27-2015, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Oddly enough, I grew up not reading anything other than comic books. I had one book....a gift from a family friend and it just sat on a shelf--nobody ever read it to me. I don't remember going to the library until I was old enough to go there by myself and then I started reading biographies. To this day, I read mostly non-fiction. When I was teaching first grade, I would always have a hard time trying to sell parents on the idea that it was important to read to their children. Nobody read to me as a child, and yet I learned just fine and went on to get good grades and a masters degree. My parents loved us but they were not educated people and they did the best they knew how. I guess it takes all kinds... my sisters and I had a lot of self-motivation and I think that's what is lacking in some of our students today.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

2grade

and the beat goes on...
Old 06-27-2015, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Yes, I remember those primers. My sister bought a used copy at a yard sale as a gift for me. I recently gave that little Dick & Jane book to my four year old GD. I had fun showing her how to read it!
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

1959mm

Old 06-27-2015, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I had Sally, Dick, and Jane also, but remember the books that my teacher had in our reading groups! We were so excited to get our own little books that we could read too.
The public library was about 3 blocks from my house. We used to walk there and I would check out as many books as I could. I remember about the third grade I got interested in those thick biography books. I think it must have been a series, but I really enjoyed reading about the childhood and great events of all those famous people.
1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

joyfulcalm

Old 06-27-2015, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Yes, I read with Dick and Jane! I loved those books. I actually was somewhat of a reader before entering school, but I still loved the simplicity of the books--gave me a bit of much needed confidence. I guess I was one of the last groups in my school to use the series. My younger sister (4 years younger) used a totally different set of books--I think more phonics based. I remember looking at some of her books and thinking they were newer, had prettier, bolder pictures, and were kind of fun to read too, BUT I thought even then that it was kind of sad that she missed out on all those great Dick and Jane books.
joyfulcalm is offline   Reply With Quote

joyfulcalm

Old 06-27-2015, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Oh, and I remember that bookmobile day was the BEST day, as until I reached middle-school age, we had no library very close by.
joyfulcalm is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

All the way
Old 06-27-2015, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Dick and Jane /Alice and Jerry.. I think I read everyone of those orange biographies . I am so glad we were not restricted on what we could read .
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

supernova

I LOVED Them
Old 06-27-2015, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Yes!!!

I remember sitting in first grade in our little semicircle like it was yesterday. I fell in love with the characters. I remember telling our husband when we married that if we were going to have a dog, it must be just like Spot. In our 31 year marriage, we are now on our third Springer Spaniel.

Oh, and about 10 years ago, I decided I would buy a copy of all of the books from the 1963 series which was what I learned from. I know that because of pictures in our annuals and my mom was an avid photo taker of me. I have them all from the primers up to 5th grade. Of course, Dick and Jane were not in them after 2nd grade.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Books
Old 06-27-2015, 10:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

We had the Sally, Dick, and Jane books in Kindergarten. But I didn't like them because they started without words. I had already learned to read words before kindergarten. I had a September birthday and had to wait another year to start. My mom's decision. There was no screening back then. I had a big chalkboard, many books, a small organ and a school desk in my basement. That's where we four kids would play. I practiced all the time. I would ask my mom how to spell something when she was down doing laundry if I got stuck.
The library was a cool old house turned into the library that was only two blocks from my house. I went there all the time even before kindergarten. I remember finishing all my work before all the papers were handed out. I got everything right. Then I would sit and sit and sit and be bored out of my mind. I tried helping other students who were stuck and would get into trouble. I didn't understand why. This started me hating school the entire time. Especially when the teacher told us it was nap time, which I stopped the year before because I was 6 and only going half a day. Plus we had milk break, bathroom break, again BORING!
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

Dick and Jane
Old 06-28-2015, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I honestly do not remember reading them, but I must have. I was a 1st grader in the mid 50's. I don't remember learning to read. Suddenly, I just could.

What I remember is reading my entire reader in 2nd and 3rd grade on the sly when I was supposed to be doing other things. I always had the whole thing read by October. I always wondered if the teacher knew.

I also remember discovering Nancy Drew and Little House. The school library would let me have one..every two weeks. I read them in a gulp and then had to wait impatiently for 13 days for another.

We had a huge city library with high stone steps that was ringed with huge climbing trees. We slid down the shelf on the steps and climbed the trees...oh and we also got books.
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

I remember
Old 06-28-2015, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Reading the Sally, Dick, and Jane books. I can still see the book pictures in my mind's eye of them and their dog, Spot. Yes, I remember going to the public library and checking out books. I have always loved libraries!

One day when I was in second grade and my brother was in first we were standing on a busy corner of the downtown area of the large city where we then lived in NYS. A nice man was concerned, and kindly asked us where we were going. I answered, "To the liberry." To which he replied very gently, "Oh, you mean the library! That is the correct way to say it." I never said it wrong again, and I'm grateful to that nice man who cared enough to set me straight. We often went on the city bus after school to the library on our own. My mother showed us the route once and expected us to be self sufficient at an early age, which we were.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 06-28-2015, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I remember the Dick and Jane books in first grade. After that I think we had a basal. Kind of hard to remember 2nd grade at all.

I remember reading the comics in the daily newspaper.

As for the library. I lived about 6 blocks away. When I was 10 or so, I spent a lot of time getting mystery books from the library. I read all the Nancy Drew books. The Boxcar Children books were a favorite as well. The library itself was in an old mansion. The front doors were very tall and heavy. They creaked loudly when you opened them. There was nothing quiet about getting into the library.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

I did!
Old 06-28-2015, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I had Dick, Jane & Sally for Kindergarten and first grade, but then we moved to the Philippines and had totally different books. When I began teaching there was a bit of a treasure trove of D,J & S books stuck in the corner of the County Ed library and I grabbed some just to walk down memory lane. I stuck them in my classroom library and my WASPY farm kids loved them. Life in the suburbs, no chores, next-door-neighbors, etc.

Wasn't there a later permutation with Mark and Janet and a handful of kids of color, but who basically were exactly the same as D,J, & S?
anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 06-28-2015, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

When did Dick and Jane stop being used? I always just thought my school just had really outdated materials. But yes, I learned to read with Dick and Jane. I learned quickly and from then on was an avid reader, and loved our weekly trips to the school library, and my own frequent walks to the town library.
GlacierRose is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 07-01-2015, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Like a couple of other posters, I remember learning to read with Alice and Jerry books. I vaguely remember Dick and Jane readers also. I always loved going to the library in the summer and always took out as many books as they would let me have and read every one of them. A series our library had when I was very young was the Freddy the Pig books by Walter R. Brooks. They were funny and I read all of them. Anyone else ever read these books? I have not seen or heard of them since I was a child. I really enjoyed the Little House books from the library too and any other books I could find about pioneer girls.
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

cyclones

Old 07-01-2015, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I loved Dick, Jane, Sally, Spot and Puff. I bought the reprints from Scholastic a few years ago when they had them. I still remembered a lot of the pictures.

I loved going to the library too. I can still remember the smell of the children's section. I have always been happy as long as I have a good book to read!
cyclones is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Yes Irish
Old 07-01-2015, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I learned the catholic version of the pre-primers where the teachers were priests and nuns. . . those were the only teachers I knew until 3rd grade. Then my Catholic school invited lay teachers to instruct the students. ( must have been the intro. into Vatican II) In first grade I distinctly recall the
" THINK AND DO " workbooks. When Sister Martha assigned pages of this workbook in small groups I always was sent back to my seat to work independently so she could help the other students who needed the help. . . I somehow felt left out of the learning that was provided in the group!!!!
Anyone else remember the Think and Do books???
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

2grade

Old 07-01-2015, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Think and Do workbooks? For sure!
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

anansi

Think and Do
Old 07-01-2015, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Yes, I remember them! Real walk down memory lane.....
anansi is offline   Reply With Quote

scottiestir

Yes
Old 07-13-2015, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I grew up with Di k and Jane in Canada. I also remember a story with Bessie and Flossie in The Bobsie Twins. I also loved to read about The Moffat Family, Cheaper by the Dozen, Nancy Drew, and theLion the Witch and the Wardrobe.
scottiestir is offline   Reply With Quote

Butterfly59

What library?
Old 07-20-2015, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Interesting question.
I learned to read with Dick and Jane but really had to think about the library part.
I loved books and read everything I could get my hands on but realized that I have no early memories of going to the library.
Thinking back, I realize that we probably only had the one central library in those days and that it wasn't a priority for my parents.
I also have no early memories of a school library.
Thank goodness times have changed!
Butterfly59 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-21-2015, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Oh, oh! See Spot run! Look, look!

I sure did learn to read with Dick and Jane; I wasn't traumatized by the experience and I can speak in complex sentences. I remember that in first grade we were in leveled reading groups named for birds and we brought our chairs and sat in a circle with the teacher so we could round robin read. I remember counting ahead, hoping I'd get a long paragraph. I remember the teacher being pleased when I read the word 'hospital.'

Wow, I haven't thought about that in a long time, thanks!
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

jeejer

Somebody remembers the orange biographies too
Old 07-25-2015, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I learned with Dick, and Jane. And I loved going to the library. I grew up on the South Side of Chicago and went to a wonderful old English Tutor style building that I think was named "Walker Library" I thought it was beautiful. I wonder if it is still there??

In school we had the orange biographies in our library, and I think I read them all. One of my favorite books was They Loved to Laughabout a little girl adopted into a large family. Later I love Louisa May Alcott books.
jeejer is offline   Reply With Quote