Help

Retired Teachers

Do you babysit Grandkids? Granddogs?

>

MathWA

Do you babysit Grandkids? Granddogs?
Old 06-20-2016, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We babysit our 6 mo. old granddog for DS and fiancee who travel several days a week for work. This puppy is a big high energy lab who needs constant supervision and cannot trusted to be left alone even when I shower. I truly love this sweet and adorable puppy but babysitting is getting old.

We dont have grandkids yet but I see them on the horizon and I wonder about my willingness to babysit them. Maybe its different with kids but I just dont know...

Do you babysit? How much and how often? Do you limit the amount you babysit? Is it different with grandkids? Your advice is appreciated as always!

MathWA is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

babysit
Old 06-20-2016, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My grandkids live in another state, so I don't see them as often as I'd like. Last year I babysat them one week in Spring and another week in Fall when DD and my son-in-law were out of town. Another time I housesat and cat sat for a week while the entire family was on vacation. This year I have not yet done any of it, because DH and I have been traveling a lot for his work.

I enjoyed the babysitting, but was very happy when it was over. I don't have the energy that DD has. I really don't know how young parents do it all: work, taking care of the kids, taking them to school and to swimming/ballet classes, cook and clean, etc. When I got home, I vegged out for a week.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

babysitting
Old 06-20-2016, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

only one of six lives in town. I baby sat him the first summer when his mom's maternity leave was up before he was old enough to go to day care. (She had been out on complete bed rest for2.5 months before he was born) I so enjoyed snuggling him, singing and just watching him sleep. A very special bonding that I didn't have with the other grands. After kindergarten I often picked him up at Y camp and we'd stop for ice cream on the way home. Then I had him as a student in first grade (private school) that summer and a two more he came to CAMP GRANDMA in the summer so he could just be a kid and not ave to have a lot of structure, He also spent school vacations with us. He out grew me energy wise and goes to adventure camp in the summer. We use to keep when his mom won trips for work, but their friends basically took the kids with them camping or hanging out on weekends.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

All of my grandkids
Old 06-20-2016, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

live out of state. So we don't babysit much. We do take them in the summer. When they were little we took them for a week, now we take them for 2 weeks, one week we have fun at home the other week we travel.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Grandpups and Grandkids
Old 06-20-2016, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My daughter, SIL, DGD (19months), and two mini dachshunds live 500 miles away. Before the baby was born we took care of the doggies when they visited us & went out with their friends. That was easy. Once we took care of the pups for a week at their house when they went to Hawaii. NOW THAT was challenging! Their dogs are sweet, but out of the house they are out of control. We had to keep them on leashes. Before we discovered that, they terrorized a neighbor walking to her car (racing up to her barking) and then a kid in the park (His grandfather yelled at us.) We leashed up after that. We have taken care of our granddaughter whenever we visit. DD and DSIL use our visits as an opportunity to go to a party or a movie. We took care of her for two weeks when DD had to return to work. The third week we transitioned her into day care. We met them at a wedding last Spring. We took care of our grandbaby so they could enjoy the wedding. (DD was a bridesmaid). Next Nov. they are expecting another baby, so we'll be there to help. It is always gratifying, but exhausting! Sometimes I'm secretly glad we live so far away. Don't know if I have the energy to babysit long term.

LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

2grade

babysitting
Old 06-20-2016, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I occasionally babysit my son's dog. He's a big dog but well behaved.
All of 5 my grandchildren are young and live within 20 miles of me. I babysit them sporadically as needed. Do love them to pieces but I sure feel it the next day. Wish I had the same energy and strength from even a decade ago.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 06-20-2016, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Two of our live about 45 min. away. They stay with us sometimes. It isn't every week or every other week. They are 7 and 10. Easy to keep. One of ours lived w/us and his mom while dad was deployed. He was a very busy 2 yr old. Mom did all the work w/him, tho, and it wasn't like I was responsible 24/7. I would like it if all lived within walking distance of our house.
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

HenrySam

Grand kids/ dogs
Old 06-20-2016, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have 4 grandsons, 3 step grand children & 2 more babies on the way. Yes, I sit them. Actually just finished a 4 day stint of 3 grandsons, age 5, 3, and 10 months. Am exhausted but worth it. I watch all my grandkids when asked which is few times a month but not on any type of schedule.
Have a 9 year old lab grand dog & have watched him too for extended period when needed. I survived...he's a great dog but energetic.
I understand completely why young people have the kids. I am in awe of how they make it look easy because it is not!
HenrySam is offline   Reply With Quote

Chocchip

granddog
Old 06-20-2016, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I told my DS I would babysit his dog when he went to work. Didn't want the poor little guy to be by himself all day... joke on me - the dog hasn't gone home yet and that was 2 years ago!!!
Chocchip is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 06-20-2016, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We actually moved closer to DS so we would be available to babysit When our grandchildren were infants/toddlers we babysat twice a week during the day plus some date nights. That was perfect. We had consistent contact and bonding time without feeling that we had become parents again. I would not babysit fulltime, I don't want to raise my grandchildren and I want my own free time.

Now that the grandchildren are both in school we only babysit for date nights and occasional holidays during the school year. But I'll be back to the two days a week during the summer, I'm looking forward to that. I miss my regular time with them

We also babysit the grandpets. Fortunately my grandpets are older and have mellowed out, it would be hard to have a high energy puppy several days a week. May your DS could look into a doggy daycare for some of the time he's gone, I think you need some time to yourself at this point in your life.

PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

supernova

Yes to granddog
Old 06-20-2016, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I keep my granddog every day while DD and SIL are at work. The dog is great and gets along with mine, so it is not too bad. No grandkids yet, so I am not sure about that. I am not sure I would want the responsibility, but then I think of daycare and I probably will help quite a bit if asked.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

I've done both
Old 06-20-2016, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My favorite is when the kids and grands go on vacation in the summer. I go to their house to watch the dogs. They have a pool. Need I say more? I have had their dogs at my house. That gets dicey, just because my house is not as big as theirs.

Grandkids are a different ballgame. I regularly watch two sets. The close-by grands are easy, because I pick them up from daycare sometimes and watch them at their house (it's between my house and the sitter) until a parent gets home. I also watch them at other random times. The girls are old enough to play by themselves now (5 and 3), so it's pretty easy. Of course, their baby brother is easy too, because he's not mobile yet. The farther away grands are fun to watch, but they are HIGH energy! A 5 1/2 year old boy and 4 year old twin girls. Imagine a tornado made up of kids. But they are fun and also play well alone. They ARE early risers, so I do end up sleep deprived. I watch them at their house (3 1/2 hours away), usually for much needed parent getaways or late nights. They do have a sitter who they adore and who has watched the kids for nearly 4 years. She's like a big sister to them. I have only watched my 10 1/2 month old granddaughter once and only for about 4 hours when her parents went to a movie and out for "tea" afterwards. ! Of course, that's because she's halfway across the country. I have only turned down watching my grands a couple of times - once when oldest son/wife had a wedding and I was already promised to second son/wife (the ones with the pool) for a couple of days. I had the promise of wine and night swimming. The other time, hubby and I were going away for the weekend. Both times they were able to get a sitter, so I didn't feel too guilty.

My advice, once you DO have grandkids, is to sleep when they do. Tell the kids you do NOT babysit for free. Chocolate and/or wine is my pay. I usually have to take a long nap or just relax for a day after being with them, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Babysitting
Old 06-20-2016, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We have seven, all little ( under five) and six out of state. We take each set of two for at least one weekend and one set of grandsons who come to us more often, we sit more often. It is joyful, satisfying and exhausting! We do not allow ourselves to be taken advantage of and I think that is key. We do grand dogs on occasion as well. Most of the heavy sitting is during summer (we live in a resort area so the grands visit more then). Pace yourself but offer to help allieve their stress as you see fit. I would not say yes too often as this would create resentment. Trust your own limits. I have friends who live close to grandchildren but watch them so often they grow annoyed. I would not want that to happen to us. Hopefully, yours will come slowly! We love every one dearly, but love our time alone as well.
juliet4 is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-20-2016, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

No grandchildren for us yet either, but we do babysit, or I guess, dogsit for the dogs/puppy, but only when someone is going out of town. You are so right about the energy levels. One son and DIL have two dogs and one of them is a beagle who howls and digs out so we have to watch him all the time when we take let them outside. The other son and DIL have a 3 month old puppy, beagle as well, and she is a handful!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

bookhound

Old 06-20-2016, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We have one grandchild....an eight month baby girl. We have taken care of her 9-10 hours/day, five days per week since she was about three months old.

Thank goodness my husband pitches in equally & we share the responsibility. He takes care of her so that I can go to the gym, & then we switch...& he takes off to the gym. Occasionally, I go out with friends for breakfast, lunch or an outing & so does he. Since she's gotten older, we also take her out for trips during the day.

No doubt that it's exhausting and I'm often too tired to make dinner, my house is a lot messier, & lots of things are placed on the back burner, but the satisfaction and bonding that we get from being with her each day can't be beat.... We miss her on the weekends.

DD is in the educational field, & the baby just started crawling so I can see that the next school year will be more of a physical challenge for us....especially since we have a multilevel home!

Today was our first day of vacation, and I'm on mission to lose weight.....I am very sure that if I lose weight I'll have more energy in September.

So, the long and short of it is that there are pluses and minuses
in babysitting each day for our "one" grandbaby, but the bond that I feel we are beginning to develop with her, can't be replaced. For us it's worth it...... If there were two?? I don't know if we could do it.
bookhound is offline   Reply With Quote

nanteach65

Dogs/Grandkids
Old 06-21-2016, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Well....since I am a late in life mom ( I am 50 and my son is 11) I have no grandkids but have great nieces. I babysit them two Wednesday's a month and they are a handful (5 and 2). I also dogsit when someone goes on vacation. I love dogs and would take them anytime even though the 4 month old lab is high energy. She follows you everywhere but we remind ourselves she was abused and abandoned at a very young age.

Chris
nanteach65 is offline   Reply With Quote

xcaped

Grands
Old 06-22-2016, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have two little grand boys 7 and almost 4. They live 10 miles from us and I have watched one or both of them on Monday and Fridays since they were born. I love it but two days a week is enough. Because I see so much of them during the week, I seldom babysit on weekends. I will occasionally, but usually begging is involved. The boys are now pretty easy. When I have both they play together. The little guy can amuse himself for hours at a time.

The dog is another story. Jedi is 5 months old and weighs 55 pounds. While adorable and relatively calm, he's half sheepdog. The herding force is strong in young Jedi. He thinks the almost 4 year old is a sheep and tries to herd him wherever he goes. I will not watch the three of them at the same time. When the puppy settles down, I will, but not now. Its just too much...
xcaped is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Xcaped....
Old 06-22-2016, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Thank you for such a good laugh! That visual is hilarious... Jedi herding your lil' 4 yr old GS!
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 06-27-2016, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We babysat grand dog five years ago and he is still here!!!
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote