Help

BusyBoard

Students and the corona virus?

>

MiddleMan

Students and the corona virus?
Old 03-05-2020, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do I stop my kids from freaking out every time they hear about the corona virus? I have a student who loves telling us everything she heard about it on Instagram and Facebook. "The Virus is extremely deadly and could end the world." The most ridiculous one I heard her say was "if you think you have it, drink chlorine it should get rid of it I seen it on Instagram."It gets my class a little riled up, mostly in fear or disbelief. Should I even address this? If so, what should I even say? I'm not at all worried personally, but the misinformation is causing concerns so I want to at least comment on it.

MiddleMan is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 03-05-2020, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not knowing what age your students are...in any case, this is an important opportunity to provide correct and reliable information to your students and to help them learn to evaluate the quality of various information sources. I would consider class time used to teach this to be time well spent.
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

My Thoughts...
Old 03-05-2020, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Does your district have a school nurse?

I would relate to this nurse what this child is sharing with the class. Either the nurse can address the child individually, speak with your whole class (I'd get permission from your administrator and parents of each child), and for sure call this child's parents to let them know about the misinformation the child is sharing at school. The parents need to put a stop to the misinformation the child is sharing, and also this child's Facebook and Instagram exposure.

I might also be very blunt with the child about sharing misinformation. I would inform this child that what she is sharing is scaring other children and what she is sharing is not the correct information.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

addressing it
Old 03-07-2020, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, I think I would address those wild ones -especially coming from sources like social media instead of parents or health professionals. That in and of itself is a good lesson! Don't follow everything/anything you hear from social media!!
I like the idea of getting your school nurse involved too. Our district just put out an informational letter to all parents, which I'm glad about.
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 03-07-2020, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Long before the outbreak, we'd watch CNN10 in advisory class once or twice a week (our equivalent of homeroom). It addresses it in a factual, calm way amongst the other news. Hearing it addressed in a "here's what's happening" kinda way has seemed to play down the fears because it's not the elephant in the room kinda thing.

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

students
Old 03-07-2020, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree about asking your nurse and/or principal to help set the students straight. That way, when parents call (and they will if the virus gets near your area) the office knows what's been told to them already.

Drinking chlorine? Sheesh.... that's where I get frustrated with technology. Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true. Students need to learn that quickly.

It hasn't come up with ours yet, but they need to know what it says on the news - wash your hands for 20-30 seconds, keep your hands away from your face, clean with Lysol or Clorox wipes, use hand sanitizer that's over 60% alcohol, and go to a dr. immediately if you start seeing symptoms.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Corona
Old 03-12-2020, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The word for today at the middle school, was you are more likely of getting killed by lightning in the US than dying of corona virus. that was a topic for two periods, then never heard about again today.
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote