Help

BusyBoard

Now I get it!

>

Veggirl

Now I get it!
Old 03-26-2020, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach in Michigan and we were told that any on-line/distance learning would not count toward required school days because of a lack of equity. I was bummed as no one knows if we'll be making up these days in June/July! Well, I loop with my kiddos and will have them again next year so I really want them to keep learning. So, I set-up our See-Saw home learning, video-taped myself reading a story to my Kinders, and spend 2 days and 3 different ways trying to upload it. Nope, not with my 'middle-of-nowhere" internet. Now I understand why it's not going to work in this state. Hoping when this pandemic is over we figure out better internet access for rural communities.

Veggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 03-26-2020, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The challenges and inequities are huge, aren't they?
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Add on electronic overload
Old 03-26-2020, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, digital inequity is a big reason we can't do everything Online. Add in what happens to your body sitting at a computer, privacy concerns, and differences in parental supervision, and it's just not workable.

But...like you, those things haven't stopped me from doing what I can. I'm doing a read aloud video series, with authors' permission, Zoom class meetings with no agenda other than checking in, rewarding for doing activities, and keeping tabs on their digital learning platforms.

Next is phone calls using Google Voice.
Singvogel is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Looping...
Old 03-26-2020, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Looping will help a lot next year though. You'd have the best knowledge of where your students are at, already established expectations and routines, etc. I know people are worried about what is going happen next year with these kids, and I almost wonder if that is a solution. I know it won't be totally possible with new students coming into kindergarten, and with some teachers's certifications, but honestly, I'm thinking looping with your class this year will help so much next year!
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Veggirl

Love it!
Old 03-26-2020, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, yes, yes. I love looping (this is my 4th group that I've looped with) and I think that this year it will mean the most to me. I know exactly where we left off (assuming we don't go back this year) and exactly where everyone is academically, behaviorally, socially, etc. Luckily, it's an AMAZING class and I think they'll do fine with first grade curriculum next year. I love the idea of more teachers looping as a way to handle some missed curriculum this year.

Veggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 03-26-2020, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Definitely we will need to figure out how to get everyone reliably connected. In the meantime, I wonder if there is a way you can post a link to someone else reading what you would have. I understand that you would like your students to have the reassurance of seeing your familiar face and hearing your voice, but it would be something for them.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 03-26-2020, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Even in an urban area, we have tons of parents who will not allow the students to use the internet, or their only internet is moms iphone, and she ain't giving up her data for school. Our local internet provider provides it for free for students, but our title 1 population is so transient, they seldpm apply for it. ( those parents usually eat the food we send home too)
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kat's Mom

Singvogel
Old 03-26-2020, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi,Singvogel!

I was just contemplating today how to provide "rewards" for students to do the online activities we are offering them. Could you please share how you are rewarding students for this? Thanks!
Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote