Help

The VENT

So tired

>

postteacher

So tired
Old 12-03-2020, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just a vent. First, my district, school and admin are wonderful. They have been so supportive.

I teach a face to face in the morning and virtual in the afternoon. This is much better than the beginning of the year when I taught a combined class of virtual and face to face both am and pm.

I知 so tired. I plan for my face to face...hands on, small groups...they are ESL and Bilingual. But then I have to plan and create lessons for my virtual which is a combination class with GT mixed in. I teacher ELAR so it reading, writing, grammar, word study and social studies. There is not enough time in the day to do all of this plus grade work. That is a whole other vent....tracking down virtual work.

I feel like I知 not reaching all of my students to give them what they need. I feel like a failure. I have been teaching for 30 years. I finally think it is time to retire, but I知 scared. I will need to get a part time job to supplement because I need to help put my son through college.

Anyone else scared to retire? Anyone else having to teach both virtual and face to face?

postteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 12-03-2020, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was worried about retiring, but turned in my paperwork last December before any of this started. Virtual teaching and the lack of participation in the spring let me know I had made the right decision. I honestly do not miss the stress of teaching.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 12-03-2020, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are there other teachers who teach both in person and virtual? That seems like too big of a load to me. If you are the only one, I would maybe talk with your union. We do have a few teachers who have chosen to teach both-they are Kindergarten teachers who teach their students face to face in the morning, then teach the same lessons virtually in the afternoon to those whose parents chose to keep them on Distance Learning.

As far as retiring, I REALLY would love to retire. I am 57, and this is my 35th year of teaching. I'm tired. Teaching takes a lot out of you, as you well know! However, if I teach for 2 more years, I will make $1000 more per month. I'm going to try to stick it out.
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 12-04-2020, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know about you but we can only retire at the end of the school year. I am turning 57 this month. 35 years in.

My district has an early retirement stipend for 7 years I qualify for because of my longevity in this district. However that basically covers me paying for my Insurance out-of-pocket. We had to let them know by December 1st if we were taking it.

I decided that it still wouldn't get me out of the rest of this sh*tshow year, so I'm doing it at least one more year to increase my state retirement.

I will probably get myself a part time job to supplement a little income but also to give me a little structure haha. I think stocking shelves at the grocery store for $15 an hour sounds wonderful.....mindless and I'm not stuck at a desk or computer screen haha!

Last edited by twinmom95; 12-04-2020 at 01:13 PM..
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

postteacher

End of year
Old 12-04-2020, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I could retire in January, but I just couldn稚 do that to my team.

Yes.....stocking shelves sounds wonderful!

Tori58

Old 12-04-2020, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have to teach both. Our families have the option of virtual school and it's very difficult to keep track of because, in addition to students being allowed to switch between virtual and in-person at will (no commitment to a particular time frame) we also have to deliver virtual instruction to students who are in quarantine, and some families are in quarantine for the third time. Theoretically we are all supposed to be teaching on a hybrid model which means that all students should be getting some digital instruction even if they're in-person so that, in the event that we go fully virtual again, they'll be prepared to learn that way. Only about half of our teachers are actually doing that, though.

I think everybody feels like a failure to some extent. Kids simply don't do the work, don't attend the virtual meetings and then parents wonder why they're failing. And yes, it's absurdly time-consuming for the teacher. I'm a special area teacher (music) and I theoretically work 40% but it's been nearly a full time job generating curriculum that doesn't involve singing and delivering instruction to 120+ kids. I'm okay with that because when we suddenly went virtual last year I was told to not worry about seriously delivering virtual instruction but to just upload some optional activities for each age group. So, I essentially got paid for 3 months for doing very little and I'm willing to make it up this year. But I can see how full time classroom/core teachers are extremely overwhelmed.

As to retirement, I was already retired and collecting my pension. My current job is my retirement job. It's been a boon because it will allow me to delay applying for my social security benefits and it's allowed me to build up my savings, but I could get by without it. I did seriously consider resigning after COVID hit because it's been stressful, to say to the least, and I haven't been best pleased that we've stayed in-person during high levels of COVID activity in the county while the public schools went fully virtual. I'm 62 and have diabetes so COVID could potentially be serious for me, although my diabetes is well-controlled and I still have a strong immune system.

However, after six months of staying home, it was apparent to me that isolation and inactivity is not mentally or physically healthy for me either. I would not care to be stocking shelves right now or working retail in any capacity right now. The job market isn't the best unless you are willing to do work that involves a fair amount of potential virus exposure. And, COVID is not going to last forever. I just decided that I wasn't going to be driven out of a job that is normally a good fit for me.

So, my advice would be to weigh all the variables and decide what's going to be best for you in the long haul. If your urge to retire is primarily because you feel that you aren't succeeding as a teacher right now, I'd say you should hold off on making that decision. But if you feel that the stress is having a negative impact on your health and well-being then retirement may be the best decision.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach123

Virtual and Face To Face
Old 12-04-2020, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I cant give any advice on retiring but I do have to teach virtual and face to face. It is way to much for one person to do. We have kids on person Monday to Thursday from 7 :55 to 2 :45. Planning time has been cut to 25 minutes. At the same time, we also have virtual kids at home. Our administration honestly told us to focus on the in person kids. Now I have 11 kids that cant get reliable internet so they pick up a paper packet to do. Fridays are supposed to be for planning but we have 1 1/2 hours of live time for parents and kids at home. I also have to assemble packets for pickup. Most of my work is done on my time and I am sick of it too. No one is learning like they should but I cant control it this year. Our motto is to do the best we can and let the rest go. This year is awful for everyone. I think of you can tough it out you might have a better year next school.year. You are not the only teacher struggling this year. I would also see if there 8s someone else in the county to share lessons with. Maybe one person can focus on one area and you can focus on another. It is too much for one person to manage.
teach123 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I retired three years ago...
Old 12-04-2020, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was fortunate to retire before Covid-19 was even a blip on the radar screen. My district is doing hybrid and virtual. I think one of the grade level teachers was assigned all the virtual students for the grade level and the rest of the grade level is hybrid. I know they have to turn their lesson plans in to the administration and they do work together to get them done. I am so glad I don't have to deal with any of it. The stress of what my district demanded was a lot before, and now it is worse. The state also has not relaxed their teacher requirements for evaluation and the writing of student growth objectives. They have not abandoned the standardized testing requirement either, as far as I know. Definitely too much for this 40 year career educator!

One of the most important considerations about retirement is the finances. I retired a year before Medicare, but qualified for free benefits through the state, so for that year before I turned 65, I had the same benefits I had while working. I delayed social security till my full age of 66, and now with that money coming in, it is much easier.

Before Covid-19, I went to the gym, out to lunch with friends, saw lots of movies and traveled. Since that time, it is much more boring, but I fill my time with working out at home, walking with a friend, reading, cooking new recipes and taking advantage of virtual programs offered through different groups on Facebook and other platforms.

I loved teaching during the bulk of the years I did it, but in the last few years, not so much. We had a new administrator whom I never felt on the same page with, and I was really feeling the lack of personal time to refresh and recharge. Making the decision to retire was the best one I personally have ever made. Good luck to you.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

postteacher

Thank you
Old 12-04-2020, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

All for replying. I talked to my AP ( who is wonderful!). She really helped me as you all have. I need to let go of being the perfect teacher. I had a pretty good day today. I let some things go and felt the pressure ease a bit.
I知 still not sure what to do, but I have time. My number one reason will be my health. I知 going to be 55. I知 a 33 year breast cancer survivor and pretty healthy, but I can tell the stress is starting to cause some physical symptoms.
Financial is a worry too.

Well....it痴 finally Friday! I知 going to rest and count down the days till winter. Real!

Tigercat

retired and now tutoring
Old 12-05-2020, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I retired after this past school year (taught 35 years). I am LOVING retirement However, I am tutoring 2 days per week for a few hours in the school I taught at. I made $700 this past month! It is perfect for me. It still allows me to connect with students and a few teachers, feel like I'm making a difference, and gets me out of the house more.

I am amazed at what teachers are having to go through right now - from being quaranteened, to teaching virtual and face to fact, to tracking down assignments, to having zoom small group reading groups, giving benchmark tests virtually, never knowing who is going to be in class that day due to a parent "taking them on a trip" and just doing virtual. It's crazy! That's not to even mention monitoring masks, handwashing, and all the other stuff happening on a daily basis. The emotional toll and stress on my teacher friends is unbelievable.

Anyway, this might be a possibility for you. Just thought I would share.

Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote