The VENT

Schedule inequities

>

Sync2020

Sync2020

Schedule inequities
Old 12-16-2020, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This vent is going to sound lame and selfish, but I'm at a new school this year and I've discovered through colleagues that I have less planning time than they do. I love this school, my administration, students, and staff. I just have a hard time following a schedule that regularly interferes with some of my basic physical needs (bathroom issues).

Prior to teaching here, I taught for several years in a public school in a different state. We had a strong union with vocal leadership, and equity among staff (especially with regards to class sizes and schedules) was priority. Any inequity, it seemed, was immediately filed as a grievance, especially among veteran teachers.

My current school is a very good charter with a positive climate, however I have eighty fewer minutes of planning each week due to a complication with a student schedule. They were not able to place the student into another section of the same course, because it conflicted with other courses in the schedule. The student is wonderful, so my vent is completely unrelated to student behavior. It's just that I often need to use the bathroom and/or respond to time sensitive emails, and I have literally no breaks in the afternoon. I'm sorry if this sounds pretty...I just needed to get it out to a group of people who can relate...

Should I discuss this equity issue with administration, or continue to "just make it work"?

annie_g

Old 12-16-2020, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would ask that someone cover for you for short break in the afternoon at the least.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

panther1987

Old 12-16-2020, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am not usually one to protest but if you don't, this kind of thing may continue. I think you should at least bring it to the attention of administration if they don't already know.
panther1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Schedule
Old 12-17-2020, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would check with a colleague who may have an afternoon planning time to see if they can cover your class so you can go to the restroom.

I think all you can do is ask. I have a medical issue (kidney transplant) that means I need regular bathroom breaks throughout the day. I approached my administrator about placing my prep time strategically to ensure that I had the opportunity to go to the restroom. I switched PE times with another teacher whose mother had kidney failure (I think she might have been the only one to volunteer, but she understood why it was a thing).

Because it is a charter, I would not necessarily point out the time difference. Approach it as a long time without being able to go to the restroom and a concern for your personal health.
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote