Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Piggyback to worst dates

>

tctrojan

Piggyback to worst dates
Old 01-16-2021, 10:05 AM

A couple of you hinted at bad dates. Some of us think you should share. So let's hear about your worst dates. Fortunately, I have nothing to share.

tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Worst date
Old 01-16-2021, 10:29 AM

I’ll give it a go.
Back in the early 80’s I was going through a dating drought. Accepted an invitation from a friend of a friend. Had actually met said guy while on a date with his friend (guy who set us up. This in itself is bizarre.). Date suggested dinner and a sort of folk concert.

I know this man lives a long distance away...several hours drive.

We arrange to meet at a hole in the wall Chinese restaurant. It’s close enough to my apartment that I walk. Food was good. Guy tells me he has a gastro health issue. Farts through entire meal. When the bill comes ($11.00) I jokingly say “How much do I owe you?” Guy “$6.00.”

Then, he suggests we walk to concert venue. It is over hill and dale and many San Francisco hills. Not to mention it is within walking distance of my apartment. So, no, I’m not walking.

We drive to concert and it is hippie dippie land. But music is fun. Halfway through concert (while still constantly passing gas) he takes off his jacket,then his flannel shirt, to reveal and brand spanking new, white Fruit of the Loom t shirt with bright blue three inch letters saying “Have you hugged an Episcopalian today?”. (We are went to same church.)

The conversation had pretty much stopped during drive to venue. Now all I want to do is go home. Concert ends. He drives me home. As he leans in for a kiss (NOT happening) I pull back and ask “So, where are you staying tonight?”

Guy: “ Oh, I don’t have a place. I figured I’d stay with you.” (Wink wink).
Me: “ sorry, I only have a studio apartment.”
Guy: “ well, I just need a couch.”
Me: “Sorry...I don’t have a couch.” (This is one big fat lie.) “thanks for the evening. Gotta go.”

I race out of the car and practically bowl over my neighbor as I slam into apartment building. The next day, she saw me and said “Damn girl...you were in a hurry last night!”

Me: “Bad date.”

Epilogue: the night after bad date, I went out on a first date with man who became DH.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Bad date
Old 01-16-2021, 10:45 AM

In college I met a guy the in a bar. He actually drove me back to the dorm. We arranged for a date the next night. As I got out of the car I noticed a baby car seat in the back.
I told my friends and they told me he was married. The next evening when he came to pick me up, I skipped out ahead of time to stand him up. That felt so good!
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 01-16-2021, 10:54 AM

Yikes, Keltikmom, that's pretty bad!

I went on 2 dates with one guy. I really shouldn't have given him a second date, but I was trying to tell myself not to be picky.

First date - He was a doctor (resident). We go out to brunch and he describes what it was like doing his first pelvic exam on a woman. That was pretty weird, but I thought he had enough redeeming qualities to give him a second chance.

Second date - He says he wants to surprise me for a date - lunch and a day in the city. He drives. (He is Asian and I've made it clear that I have severe allergies and multiple allergists have told me never to eat out at Asian restaurants because they often cook with my allergens.). Where does he take me? An Asian restaurant. Tells me he's a doctor and can save my life. . I express my unhappiness with his decision, but he's insistent that it's safe. We end up eating there against my better judgement and I was fine, but I was fuming and still had a day in the city with him ahead of me. On the way home he says he wants to go to church with me the next day and meet all of my friends. I said I wasn't comfortable with that just yet. He get upset, drops me off, and I never hear from him again.

Looking back, I never should have given him that second date and when he brought me to the Asian restaurant I should have ended the date right there.

Then there was the guy (nice enough) who kept talking about how in Beauty and the Beast, he identifies with the beast because he thinks he's ugly on the outside, but really beautiful and undiscovered. I gave him a few dates and he brought it up many times.

Other than that, it's just been a few bad 45 min dates with zero connection!
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-16-2021, 12:37 PM

Oh, do I have a list . . .
  • Minister--We met on Match. On our first date, he said that he usually met women on Ashley Madison. Yep . . . married. Gave NO indication that he was married in our previous conversations, and his social media had no indication either.
  • Co-Worker--Well, a former co-worker. I swiped right on Tinder because I knew him. He was going to be passing through my town on the way to a conference, and we were going to have dinner. He stopped by to pick me up at my house. I excused myself to use the restroom, and when I came out of the bathroom he was in my bed naked. NAKED. IN. MY. BED.
  • Artist--We met at a restaurant. At the end of the date, he asked me if I could pay for his meal because he was short on cash. Then he had the nerve to ask for gas and cigarette money.
  • DH Acquaintance--It was a little awkward the first time I was at work with DH and we ran into him. I was like, "OMG I went out with him once, and he showed up to the date completely drunk." DH thinks he might have just been nervous because he was recently divorced.
  • Couple--This guy told me all about his wife and how they practice "ethical non-monogamy". He wanted me to know that his wife was okay with all of his extramarital fun.
  • Friend's Co-worker--We went out for a late-night breakfast at IHOP. About halfway through the conversation he told me that he was a twice-convicted felon. He embezzled tens of thousands of dollars from the company where he worked in order to pay off gambling debts.

Those were the most off-putting ones. I went with the "one date won't hurt" rule, and I went on a lot of first dates. There were some really decent guys who just weren't my cup of tea, and a few that even went for multiple dates. The yucky ones were just extra yucky. I'm really glad I found DH when I did because I was way over the dating scene by that time.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Ima’s first dates
Old 01-16-2021, 12:52 PM

Holy cow!! The co worker one did me in.

Keltikmom

More first dates
Old 01-16-2021, 12:54 PM

Then there was the divorced dad who peed the bed . Actually not on first date but a few weeks later.

mom23kids

Old 01-16-2021, 03:15 PM

In the 80's too... We went to an italian restaurant and he ordered spaghetti or something.. he literally had his mouth practically on the plate as he was slurping the spag.. it was seriously gross!

In the days of personal ads in the newspapers...This guy sent me a pic of himself sitting on a cannon so it looked like his penis Well, I happened to meet this same guy at Club Getaway singles weekend and he practically raped me. I went to his table at dinner and announced that rape was a crime.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

goodwork

observed a date
Old 01-16-2021, 03:44 PM

Not my date, but I was at a Mexican restaurant and sat next to a young couple (college town) who seemed to be on a first date. He ordered a taco salad, and ate it with his Fingers! Used no silverware. Can you picture using fingers to eat a salad with salsa, sour cream, and meat? The girl was staring at him like she just wanted to run. I don't think he got a second date.
goodwork is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 01-16-2021, 03:45 PM

I went out on a date with someone I met at a wedding. He took me to a nice restaurant. Then afterwards we tom me to a dive bar where his friends were. There was a lingerie show going on. I was one of or possibly the only female with clothes on. I had to use the restroom. I guess not many women go to that place because I had to move the broken pool table aside so I could get to the door.

hiker1 is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-16-2021, 04:25 PM

My date (literally) ran away when we were in a dark alley with a barking dog late at night.

I married him.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-16-2021, 05:46 PM

I feel so boring!!

My best is that I met my DH in a bar. He came in with my college roommates brother. We hit it off. Decided to continue partying at another place. The other college roommate I was with drove. At some point she said she was too drink to drive and wanted "John" to drive. We were in her parents massive sedan. I was sitting in the middle. She wanted me to move to the passenger seat so she could slide over to the middle and make s move on "John" even though I already told her I was interested in him. I won!!!

Ima..the co-worker one is just creepy!

Grace...🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Duds
Old 01-16-2021, 06:49 PM

Maybe I'm being too picky...

In high school (junior year), my prom date, who I was just friends with, spent part of the meal just talking about cars. I listened, but really had nothing to say. Others at my table and myself tried to change the subject, but he'd always bring it back to cars. For our school prom, it included dinner and the dance at the same place. Shortly after dinner, more during dinner actually, he left the table, went over to a teacher and talked to the teacher the entire night. He didn't dance at all or talk to me at all.

I went on a blind date which was set up by a mutual friend. First date was fine. After the first date, he texted me non stop and his texts were like his twitter play by play, all day long. "At the grocery store". "In aisle 3, just put fettuccine noodles in my cart, maybe I'll have fettuccine Alfredo for dinner". "In the ice cream aisle, what kind should I get?" "driving home from work". "Watching Top Chef". Literally for days we did this. On our second date, he was completely contrary. We were talking about things we liked. Whenever I said something I liked, like a type of music or a sport or a food, restaurant, etc., he'd say "he liked anything but (whatever it was I say). I totally understand we all have different tastes. However, it seems that on a date, if you had different interests, you'd at least say, "I like ______", even if it wasn't what I liked...you wouldn't say "Anything but what I like." That was odd. No 3rd date. The texts finally stop after I just stopped replying all together.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 01-16-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
He stopped by to pick me up at my house. I excused myself to use the restroom, and when I came out of the bathroom he was in my bed naked. NAKED. IN. MY. BED.
This was a thing on How I Met Your Mother. I wonder if that's where he got the idea?
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

I have
Old 01-17-2021, 06:27 AM

A funny one, i hesitate to share due to some cyber bullying i experienced here.

These are the components of my date:

Flip flops for a hike
Subjected to bad 80s music
Bread
Water
Police helicopter
Crying about his ex
Halloween
Mixed up communication
Subsequent name calling
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-17-2021, 08:38 AM

I was naive enough in my late teens to fall for the "let's go watch the airplanes land at the airport" line. My five siblings teased me for years about that one.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 01-17-2021, 09:49 AM

It's been a long time for bad dating stories since my wife and I have been married since the early 1980s (never a bad date with her ). Here's a dating memory from the 70s.

We met in college (we both lived on campus), and seemed to click immediately. We had many of the same interests, and felt comfortable talking to each other. I asked her out to a movie for the following Saturday night, and she immediately accepted. When I got to her place, a friend of hers was there. Nothing against the friend, but I had no interest in spending the evening with her. The next part is predictable--my date asked if her friend could come along. Trying to be a good sport, I agreed. The date was okay, but I could have done without the friend.

It might appear that was the end, but it wasn't. We continued to date, and nobody ever tagged along again. When we were both at home one weekend (we didn't live far from each other), I met her parents for the first time. They were very nice, but my date seemed to be unusually attached to them. Before we left for the evening, she gave both of them a good bye kiss. It seemed to be a bit odd, but perhaps others do it too.

We naturally drifted apart on good terms about six months later. I saw her in a restaurant a couple years after we graduated from college and we had a nice chat, but neither of us had any interest in starting again.

Those were the days of good old-fashioned dating, long before texting, Facebook, Instagram, etc. I’m not sure it’s really better now.

Last edited by c6g; 01-17-2021 at 10:05 AM..
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote