So let me tell you about this therapy appointment Wednesday afternoon - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

So let me tell you about this therapy appointment Wednesday afternoon

>

Zephie

So let me tell you about this therapy appointment Wednesday afternoon
Old 01-15-2021, 03:20 PM

So Wednesday i went in for my first (and last) appointment with a new therapist. It was my old counseling center, so I was feeling pretty confident in the quality of therapist I would receive.

I was sadly wrong.

I went in and laid out all the immediate needs I have right now - self care, referral to psych, job issues, etc.

She wanted to go into family systems and childhood trauma.

I kept trying to refer back to the immediate needs and expressed the fact that I dont want to do purely family systems and art therapy - that her qualifications referred to CBT and thats what I want.

After awhile I just stopped talking.

So she proceeded to tell me a huge chunk of her mental health history and all the crises she's going through right now...

AND HERES THE KICKER, FRIENDS.

She went into false flags and how all the conspiracy theories are probably true.

I almost walked out.

Honestly, if I had known the way out to the lobby, I probably would have.

I have a referral to a new licensed counselor from my pastor and a friend who is a therapist in training.

I'm making calls Monday.

Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Annoying
Old 01-15-2021, 03:29 PM

Wow! I am sorry to hear that. On the up side I am glad you have some names to call. I would call the practice and I explain why you are not returning. Good luck!
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-15-2021, 03:32 PM

Oh Zephie I know youíre in crisis and this was the last thing you needed. Iím glad you were able to get a name.

I have an amazing therapist that I recommended to another PT member. I donít know how the insurance would work across state lines, but Iíd be glad to give you her contact info if you PM me.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-15-2021, 03:39 PM

Oh my gosh, so many things wrong with the appointment before you got into the conspiracy stuff. In what place was this person trained that she thinks it's ok to share her issues/history with you-- on the first visit, no less??? You should send her a bill for your services.

I hope you find someone perfect for you soon.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 01-15-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
So she proceeded to tell me a huge chunk of her mental health history and all the crises she's going through right now...
This 'therapist' should never be practicing. A good therapist NEVER brings their own issues into therapy. Good thing she showed you who she was right away so you didn't waste any more time.

Sorry you didn't find who you needed right away. You deserved a professional who can help you immediately.

Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-15-2021, 03:41 PM

Thatís scary! Iím impressed you were able to evaluate her so well. Good for you, Zephie.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 01-15-2021, 03:52 PM

How unprofessional and what a waste of your time!! I think I would call and report what happened.

I hope you have good results with one of the other two.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

DSLBUG

Old 01-15-2021, 04:51 PM

Wow! Unprofessional and Iím glad you were able to get another name......where would you report this incident?
DSLBUG is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Contacting the center
Old 01-15-2021, 04:54 PM

I will be contacting the center Monday and requesting to talk with the administrator of the program. I want to let them know why I'm canceling my next appointment and let them know what happened.

Yes... I am in crisis mode...

Yes... I am fairly cognizant of what I need..

No... I dont need to focus on coming up with a list of childhood and adult traumas for another therapy session when I need someone to help me come up with a self care plan. Yeesh, I can write a book on all the traumatic experiences I've had.

Dude... if someone would just write me a script for 5 mg navane, 10 mg abilify, and 25 mg prozac, id be myself in a matter of days.

I will say I really appreciate that my pastor was very quickly able to say he thinks that medication has a place in wholistic me talk health care and that he encourages people to move toward clinically sound therapies along with scriptural pastoral counseling. He's put work in to understand that mental illness is illness and not demonic.

I go to a VERY charismatic church. Many people are against modern medicine due to personal conviction, but my pastor believes God gave us medicine to help and not harm. This is a rarity in the charismatic world. Most charismatic pastors don't feel this way.

He even sdmits most pastors in our association disagree with him but he won't stand in the way of his flock getting help.
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 01-16-2021, 05:51 AM

I'm so sorry that you had to go through this and that you are having to wait even longer for the help that you need. Yay for the pastor who is stepping up to help you get that help. SO hoping that it comes soon and that you are not having to wait a long time for an appointment this time.

md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Zephies therapist
Old 01-16-2021, 07:50 AM

That is 100 ways wrong! Not only to ignore you, but to then use your time as her therapy is unconscionable. Hoping you get your needs met with the next therapist.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 01-16-2021, 08:35 AM

Oh my, that is just terrible! I'm so sorry that she treated you that way. So inappropriate. I'm glad that you have a supportive pastor!
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 01-16-2021, 08:44 AM

Goodness, an encounter like that could make one need even more therapy ,just to get past dealing with that lady. Sounds like she needs a refresher course in her field.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 01-17-2021, 06:52 AM

This was so very wrong.
As I suggested to another poster, get your records from the doctor's office that was prescribing the combination that worked for you. Bring those records with you.