Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Tutoring Update

>

Mishellee99

Tutoring Update
Old 01-16-2021, 03:11 PM

First of all, thanks to everyone that had a chance to read my post and especially if you took time out of your day to reply, I really appreciate it .

So, the mom and I decided that I will meet with her son on Monday evenings instead as that works best for my schedule. Of course, once we got that straightened out we kept going back and forth about where we would meet.

Our original arrangement was I would go to their house and she would pay me $5 extra an hour to come there. You know how long that lasted only 1 tutoring session .

Anyway, my husband works at a factory that the only let off like around 4 people off per day for vacation. Needless to say, once you're able to start putting in 1 full week of vacation or single days here and there it gets filled up quickly.

Yesterday a supervisor asked him if he would like to have a vacation day for Monday this week. He was very excited about it and I am too since it would give us both a 3 day weekend. He has a doctor's appointment scheduled later in the afternoon that we're going to see if he can go earlier in the day. It would be nice and give us more of the day to spend together.

Anyway, I decided to text the mom about cancelling our tutoring for Monday (plus it's a holiday and we weren't even sure about starting back up then either way from what I understood from her last minute cancellation this week) and that I could do the following 2 weeks but then not February 8th as I was supposed to have a mid year meeting out of town the next 2 days. My husband and I try to go up the night before so that way we don't have to get up as early the next day.

Her reply was 1 word "ok." I'm not sure what to think about that response.

I'm assuming you all will say let it go after knowing the back story of this entire situation working with them. I figure waiting 1 more week isn't going to hurt since she's already wasted 3 months of not getting her son help from me after our first session back in October.

Mishellee99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Itís ok!
Old 01-16-2021, 03:59 PM

I agree that one more week won’t matter. If it bothered her I think she would have let you know. Enjoy your day with your DH. No worries!

ETA- my DH often replies with just, “k”, which makes her reply sound chatty! !

Last edited by Munchkins; 01-17-2021 at 06:20 AM..
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Firefly_7777

Old 01-16-2021, 06:21 PM

She may wear an Apple Watch. That sounds like a fast, available option on the watch to reply back to you.
Firefly_7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 01-17-2021, 06:01 AM

Honestly, it seems you both have too many constraints in your lives. This does not seem to be a one sided issue. I am not sure how hard it is to get a tutor or find one in your area if you don't know the right people.

I'm not sure what you expected her response to be. You both have a hard time finding a single agreeable time and you cancelled on her. I expect she feels her only option at this point is to wait one more week.

You could find a more flexible tutor and suggest she call the other tutor instead of working with you because you have to many commitments that interfere with her family's commitments.

Mishellee99

Thanks for your reply
Old 01-17-2021, 04:30 PM

I'm so glad you replied because I guess I never looked at it this way from her possible viewpoint. When we originally talked back in October during the last week, I wasn't going to be available Tuesdays due to a church bible study that was going on for a couple more weeks until mid-November.

She was completely fine with that because at the time they weren't able to do Tuesdays or Thursdays on their end due to her son's wrestling schdule. We agreed Wednesdays would be best and started the very next day. She had to cancel on me for 2 weeks in a row because of her son being quarantined with his dad. It wasn't a big deal to me and once she got his official wrestling schedule, she asked to change from Wednesdays to Thursdays.

When we made the day change, I was planning on going that night and she had to cancel on me again because her husband was sick. 2 weeks later was after Thanksgiving and another cancellation on her end .

We agreed to start after the beginning of the year due to those previous cancellations. At the time I wasn't sure if Thursdays were still going to work so I went ahead and made another personal commitment for myself. I guess I could've asked her about the day before signing up for something myself.

Mondays and Tuesdays seem to be the only days she was willing to switch to on her end. Of course, Tuesdays I'm pretty busy myself until around getting home about 6pm.

I would be willing to go back to Wednesdays as we originally planned at the beginning but it really is dependent on her I feel at this point.

The only reason why I offered to work with this family is they were the only ones to personally reach out to me after receiving my name and phone number from my college friend.

Since I don't work in the regular schools, I don't have any connections with other local tutors in the area to refer them to at the moment.

For myself, I really only have a commitment 1 day a week possibly 2 days a week, and it seems like their schedule is constantly changing on when they can meet with me.

I would be willing to still meet with them weekly even if it's a different day each week. In fact, I might reach out to her about that and ask.

msd2

msd2

Old 01-18-2021, 05:43 AM

I really hope that the two of you end up finding an agreeable time and regular tutoring can begin. It is hard with illness,holidays, commitments on both sides,etc. to find agreeable times sometimes.

Mishellee99

Thanks again :)
Old 01-18-2021, 05:19 PM

I'm hoping so as well. I think that's the biggest thing is finding the agreeable time that works best for both of us.

I'm completely fine with doing a set time each week even if the day has to change from week to week. In fact, I might actually ask her about that before next week when we should be starting back up.

I think that's the biggest thing is I have a little bit more flexibility in my schedule so to speak than they might have on their end. I'm planning on reaching out to her towards the end of the week to make sure they want to start back up.