Help

Visual & Performing Arts

Art Teacher suggestions

>

jillywilly75

Art Teacher suggestions
Old 06-26-2006, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am taking a new art position teaching K-5 art. I will have K-5 classes every day - with a new groups Monday - Friday. So I will see every student in the school once a week.

My question...

I plan to teach a similar lesson to all of the students each day. Instead of planning a brand new lesson for each of the six classes, I want to do one lesson for K-2 and another lesson for 3-5. Does this make sense? Does anyone have any suggestions for teaching this many grades every day? I look forward to the variety, just hope I can "change hats" that many times a day!

jillywilly75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Marilyn B.

Marilyn B.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just wondering why you want to teach similar lessons to all the students. From your perspective, it will mean less preparation, but what new things will the students learn? When you have them the following year and you're repeating what they've already had, they're sure to let you know about it.

Maybe you can simplify your program by teaching something like the art elements to all the students. For example, you might concentrate on color, but do a different age-appropraite lesson or activity with each grade. The next week you could do line and then shape, texture, etc.
Rachael

Rachael

Old 06-30-2006, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am also taking a new art teaching position this fall, only I am 1-12! It seems very overwhelming, but I have tons of energy, and I am very excited about it. I am actually planning all different lessons for each grade and i will teach that same thing each year, so there are specific things to learn each year they move up. I will be teaching the same lesson for the different classes of each grade (ex-i have 3 1st grade classes, all once a week) follow me?
My advice to you would be, not to teach the EXACT same thing for K-2 and 3-5, but have a main theme for these groups, and then modify the lesson for each grade. Maybe use the same materials for each group, but change the media, artist, or time period. It switches things up a little. I wouldn't do the exact same thing...
Also, to help "change hats" in between classes, just make sure that the "key" to your teaching is organization. Have each class's materials ready to go, or have the class before set out the next classes materials. I will have a basket on each table all day long of pencils and erasers, then have materials ready to put in the baskets before each class for the materials they will need for their project. Or have a basket for each media set to go for the day. However you want to do it. And try different things each time and see what works best. Just go with the flow and be ready to adjust each time something doesn't work out. No one expects us as a new teacher to get everything right the first time around, so the first year at a school is all like a big trial and error test until it feels right. (Sorry I am getting off the subject a little bit... ) but anyways, you can plan your lessons however you want, but remember that you would have to make a new set of lessons just about every year since they would have already done it the previous year...except new 4th graders....try it and see how it works! Good luck~!

Sue W.

Developmental issues
Old 06-30-2006, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Having worked with different grade levels, I believe you will find there are tremendous developmental differences between grade levels. Very few projects would be appropriate for such ranges of levels, you would not be meeting the needs of children. It sounds simple to have one prep for all K-2 kids, but when some kindergarteners won't even know how to hold a scissors, for example, you would have problems, kindergarteners unable to finish a project and 2nd graders done, bored and "bothering". I would suggest a scope and sequence determined by the needs and abilities of the various grade levels.
Sue W. is offline   Reply With Quote
jenuone

jenuone

I agree
Old 06-30-2006, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the previous responses, don't teach the exact same lesson to all the grades. When I read your post, my thoughts were just what Marilyn stated. You can simplify some prep work by teaching a similar concept such as the elements, but change the project. If you were teaching shape to kind./first graders you may working on squares, retangles,circles,etc. where as the older grades are ready for organic vs geometric.

OR (like Rachel said) what about keeping the materials that you use each week the same for each grade and changing the concept: paint is used by all one week.

jillywilly75

Sounds great!
Old 06-30-2006, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks ladies...I appreciate the input. I agree that using similar materials but making adjustments for the grade levels makes sense. I like the idea of having certain things you do in THAT grade only, to keep from repeating the same lesson the next year. My school doesn't start until the end of August, and I have two weeks left with my job at the bank, so I'll have a full month off. I'll use my QCC's to list also what each grade is learning, and avoid repeats. Thanks so much! Have a great July 4th!
jillywilly75 is offline   Reply With Quote

eguilbeau

Help!
Old 07-30-2006, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Gosh, you sound so organized and prepared. I am usually that way too, but just don't know where to start with the lesson plans. I will have 3rd through 6th grades and guess I have questions about coming up with lessons that are age appropriate. I definitely want to teach the same concepts to each grade at the same time, but different lessons for each grade level. How would you plan a lesson, 3rd grade drawing for example, and progress through grade 6 to teach age appropriate lessons? I would love any suggestions you might be able to provide. Also, I have ideas for motivational techniques for classroom behavior. For example, I want to do an "artist of the month" (or 6 weeks) bulletin board where I will post a picture and artwork of a famous artist. On this same board, I will also have my chosen "artist of the month" from each grade level. These will be students that I hand pick based on class performance, etc and part of the honor of being student of the month will be getting to choose the music/theme for our end of the 6 weeks free day where we will do fun art (making bracelets, spin art, etc) My question is, how will i be able to keep them motivated and aware of their status.....i will only have the students once a week so it won't be as easy to accrue points/colored stars/etc. Any ideas?
eguilbeau is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

art ideas
Old 07-30-2006, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

ART
www.talentedkidzone.com/crafts/flakehowto.html There are several unique art ideas at this site.

Make a plain branch tree. Students thumb print on leaves.

Blow up orange balloons. Let students make a Jack-O-Lantern face on the bottom of the balloon. Make a vine on the BB and attach balloons where the knot is to the pumpkin vine.

Make snowmen with cotton balls.

Draw three different leaf patterns. Let students draw around the different leaves using different colored paper and make a collage.

Take a piece of black paper and make an outline of a pumpkin or other shape. Take a push pin and go around the outline. Leave a space between holes. Hand up to the window and let the light shine through. It works best to have some carpet squares to lay the paper on while punching the holes.

turkey at: www.teachers.net/gazette/NOV02/printable.html St. Patrick activity site Bear glyph……. www.teachingheart.net/stpattyday.html http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedF...131/others.html
http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedFo...31/others.html
http://www.abcteach.com/search.php?q=glyph

http://www.eduref.org/cgi-bin/printl...s/MPS0206.html

http://teachers.net/gazette/NOV02/printable.html
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

fun art
Old 07-30-2006, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Use your end of the school idea at the end of each grading period. With the fun art and etc. Maybe even edible art project.
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Marge

Marge

Special Education Art Teacher
Old 08-30-2006, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Good idea, I teach in a school with all different age levels and disabilites. We plan 2 art projects per week or more. Sometimes we extend the art project for two days. At the younger level you need to make it very hands on . For example, we use golf balls and an accucut pattern or shape with two colors we roll the ball in a brown soda or beer box to form for ex. a spider web on a spider. Or we had use coffee filters to make tie dye with water colors. Hope this is a help!

shortwoman89

shortwoman89

Need help want to be art teacher
Old 03-05-2010, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am hitting dead ends on doing a project for english 4 class to graduate....they even want where and who and what year was first art teacher and where art teaching comes from....i also would like to know exactly what all and where did you go to become an art teacher i am in mississippi and i want to be a very goood art teacher but nothing offered in art ....please give me some help.....thank you also how many years and if special college all the time or do i have to do basic's in studies first i do not want to waste any of my years unnecessarily....thank you....