Help

First Grade

Please help me....sorta long.....

>

RoxieFree

Please help me....sorta long.....
Old 03-01-2012, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am at a complete loss of how to handle my class. I have literally tried everything...WBT, tickets, taking away recess, rewarding recess, etc. nothing works!!

I have so many bossy children in my classroom. They are constantly trying to tell me how to do my job, telling other students how to do their work, etc. I also have SO MANY students that cannot stop talking or getting out of there seat to save their life. I really thought that after Christmas it would get so much better (at least, that is what everyone keeps telling me) but it hasn't. They are also a group of tattlers. I have a tattle box, but they don't even care that it is there.

They don't have this behavior just in my room too....they have it in all of their specials, even when the P is in the room!!! I recently had a major seating change and put all of my "bad" kids at a table together, and the good kids at a table together because I was so tired of getting everyone in trouble for the 8 or so kids who are constantly bad.

PLEASE HELP ME!!! Is there something out there that I haven't tried?

I'm losing my mind......

RoxieFree is offline   Reply With Quote

K-Jeanne

a thought
Old 03-01-2012, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about addressing the positive. Comment to students working the way they should. Let them go outside early for recess. I have 'smart beads' in my class. When someone does a smart choice academically or socially they are told to wear the smart beads (beads I got from the dollar tree-mardi gras type). My kids love to wear them. At the end of the day they return them to the basket for the next day. (idea from pinterest).

Let the students that listen and follow directions do 'fun' centers/activities while the other ones work on math facts, drill, and any work that they have not completed.

Good luck!
K-Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Marymack

Old 03-01-2012, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with K-Jeanne - focus on the positive. At the very least it will help you to feel good that you do have some students with good behaviors and it will help those students to feel good about themselves. Sometimes I find myself in a rut like that and I just ignore the negative things and make an exaggerated effort on the positive. I don't use beads but I like that idea! I make little coupons for things like skipping a particular activity or assignment, getting 5 extra minutes of free choice, skipping homework, eating lunch with me or in my room with a friend, etc. I have the class some up with ideas for things they'd like on the coupon. When someone is doing something negative, say talking while I'm giving directions, I'll ignore them and make a BIG deal of giving a coupon to someone who is not talking out. I'll say how I love how they are listening and how much they deserve this coupon & present the coupon.

I'd also take a look at what I'm expecting from my children making sure it's developmentally appropriate and making sure my expectations & consequences are clear and consistent. I know a teacher who is a little unsure of herself and a bit indecisive & the kids pick right up on this and use it to their advantage. Sometimes you just have one of those groups that makes you count the days left with them! Good luck!
Marymack is offline   Reply With Quote

RoxieFree

Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love the smart beads idea!!!

And i really do feel like I focus on the positive, but probably not as much as I should.

Thank you so much for the advice ladies!
RoxieFree is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Positive
Old 03-02-2012, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the PP and love their ideas! I just wanted to add that it is really important to catch your problem children doing something good so that they understand appropriate behavior. And I never take away a reward. I feel if they earned it, then even if they mess up later it is still theirs. I will not listen to tattling. I call it "mind your own nose". They can not tell me unless someone is hurting themselves or another person with words or actions. I will not react. I just put my finger on my nose and ignore them.

hand is offline   Reply With Quote

goncama

Roxie
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It sounds like my class this year. Nothing I do will keep them quiet. They are a VERY chatty class, even during my observation! I like the idea of the bead necklace. That I will have to try. Good luck. I can't wait to read more advice.
goncama is offline   Reply With Quote

shelmo77

have you tried the clip chart?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I switched mid-year to the clip chart (students start in the middle - clip up when you catch them doing something good and clip down if they break a rule). It has really changed the behavior problems I was having in the classroom. All day long they are clipping up and down. Also, I found the website www.smartclassroommanagement.com - it helped me realize things that I was doing that caused some of the problems I was having (like letting some things slide) now anytime they break a rule, they clip down - and I don't feel bad about making the good ones clip down, since I know they will have plenty of chances throughout the day to clip back up. I went from having 4-5 kids in trouble non-stop to the typical 1-2 getting in trouble each day. I really think the combination of the clip chart and reading the articles on the other website is what helped me get control of the class. The funny thing is with the clip chart there is no "treasure box" reward system - if they are clipped up off the top of the chart 5 times, they earn a different color of clip. It's so funny that they get super excited when they've earned that new color clip (and they are clothespins from the dollar store that I colored with a marker).
shelmo77 is offline   Reply With Quote

friscolucky

crazy class
Old 03-06-2012, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This might only work if you are willing to focus on positives only.

I would buy a huge bag of m and m's (let kids see it is a huge bag) and I go around giving 1 to a child while saying

"First graders stay in their seat_______is staying in her seat, thank you ______" or what ever rule they are following.

You may have to do this for a few weeks and eventually give less and less.I let kids eat it as they got it.

Now if your kids don't like candy it will not work and yes it is bribery and yes candy is not good for them but it is 1 piece at a time, I used to do this as a sub and other teachers couldn't believe how much kids would do for me and be quiet.

Just a thought! Good Luck and remember you are more than 1/2 way done.
friscolucky is offline   Reply With Quote