Help

Substitute Teachers

Herding cats

>

Amberlee

Herding cats
Old 05-24-2012, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Sigh...do you ever feel like you are trying to herd cats? That was my afternoon in gr. 1. Thankfully it wasn't a long day. The plan was for silent reading, then an assembly, then calendar, and then outside free time if it was sunny (and it was!). We ended up not having silent reading since the assembly started early.

As I'm sitting next to my class in the assembly (who I've just met about 5 minutes before so of course I don't know any of their names...don't you hate that?? ) I look up and see a yellow duck go flying by out of the corner of my eye. After a double take it happens again. Lo and behold a student in my class has brought a stuffed yellow duck to the assembly and is playing catch with her friend!!! Thankfully it was just at the start when people were still arriving so I managed to confiscate it and talk to the students involved.

After the assembly they were super wound up for whatever reason (maybe because they were moving and singing in the assembly) and they could not focus at calendar time to save their lives. It was a gong show. I warned them that if they weren't quiet and didn't sit still they were going to miss their outside time but they didn't stop.

It was unreal... clapping pattern, light flicker, stern voice, separating students - they'd stop and listen quietly for a few seconds when I told them to sit down and then when I stopped talking one or two would sit and the rest would just wander around. I felt like I was talking to a wall. Or I'd manage to get one of them to listen and three more would wander away to play with their friends' hair.

Long story short we didn't go outside and they lost their free time. And a few students still came up to me while they were packing up to ask if they could still have some free time outside. Uhhhh really?!?!?

Ah well...glad that day is done

Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

I
Old 05-24-2012, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

had a first grade class like that recently and I thought seriously about not taking them out for PE as scheduled because I wanted to keep them in view and corralled in the room. However, I changed my mind and took them out because I was going nuts. I even spent a little longer than scheduled because they were more peaceful outside. Whatever it takes to survive!
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Smilingsub

Herding Cats?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sounds like every day at one of the schools I sub at! Gotta love the flying duck! lol
Smilingsub is offline   Reply With Quote

cannohara

I know how you feel
Old 05-24-2012, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had a kinder class a week ago that was the same way. I was thrown off-balance because I know these kids, and they have been the most well-behaved kinders I've ever had.

Hopefully it doesn't happen again to either of us.
cannohara is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Yep
Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

same here. I had a usually well behaved first grade class today. Eight more days of school and they are DONE! Sorry guys, you have to keep on learning a bit longer.

Also the weather changed, we might get rain with snow in the mountains tomorrow. I had a principal with the theory that since brains are mostly water, barometric pressure changes can affect behavior.
It seems a reasonable idea, given student behavior when there is a big weather change!

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

I subbed for a first grade class
Old 05-26-2012, 10:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

a week or so ago and was disappointed when calendar wasn't on the lesson plan. I asked a neighboring teacher if she thought the teacher would mind if I went ahead with it.

She reminded me, and I should have remembered, that at this time of year many first graders are so done with calendar.

I'm so glad I didn't try it. I remembered those days in first grade. Amberlee, maybe the class you had was just plain finished with it, too.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote
Longterm

Longterm

Huh?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't understand how you took them there and didn't see how one of the students had a stuffed animal. How big was it? Also, what were you looking at while you saw that from the corner of your eye?

Amberlee

Old 05-28-2012, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I don't understand how you took them there and didn't see how one of the students had a stuffed animal. How big was it? Also, what were you looking at while you saw that from the corner of your eye?
I met them literally 5 minutes before they were at the assembly. I wasn't going to search them one by one and I didn't see anyone take anything. It was probably hidden under a sweater.

As for what I was looking at? The principal! He was getting ready to start leading the assembly. Shocking, I know.
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote