Help

Visual & Performing Arts

Drama Club

>

TexTea

Drama Club
Old 01-24-2007, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone do a drama club in their elementary school? If so, tell me how to get one started. I love drama, and would love to start one at my school, but have no idea how to get started. Thanks.

TexTea is offline   Reply With Quote

nzkiwi

Drama Clubs
Old 02-13-2007, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know if I have any great advice for getting started, since I feel like I'm kind in the same position as you (I love drama and teach at a school that doesn't have any kind of drama activities/club/classes/etc. really in place).

I've really wanted to get some activities started, but have always found it difficult to figure out where to start. I guess, this year I've been sort of shoved into giving it a shot though, as I've been "politely forced" into doing a twice a month drama club with a handful of middle schoolers (we are a K-8 school). I have been feeling my way through the process.

I've found a couple books that have been somewhat helpful . . . Kids Take The Stage has been one of them. A computer CD program called the The Drama Game File, I've also found good for finding great drama activities for kids of all ages.

Beyond that, again, I don't really have any particularly wonderful advice. I personally (even with my bit of experience) still feel like I have more questions than answers. If there is anyone out there who has had experience in starting a drama club up, I'd love to hear from you too! Otherwise, I wish you luck -- If I can help you out in any way, let me know. Maybe we can even do some brainstorming off each other?
nzkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

butnotbroken

Drama club
Old 02-22-2007, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have recently started a drama club for grades 4-8 at a private school. I could give you many tips on putting on a production, but first, what ages do you think you are looking at? The entire elementary school, or just the older kids?

Were you thinking of putting on a production, or simply doing little skits here and there? If you are considering a performance, there are many great websites with child-friendly scripts. One example that I have used is by Kathryn Schultz Miller. I have bought scripts to three of her plays - Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan, and Alice in Wonderland (currently in production.) The scripts are easy to perform and very simple. The kids love it.. Each year we have about 30 kids try out (the school only has 200). Fourth graders and fifth graders could be the stars with no problems.
Her website is located at http://childrenstheatre.easystorecre...om/welcome.htm

If that is the route you are going to take, I'd be glad to give you more advice about scheduling, set design, and all that.

Mike
butnotbroken is offline   Reply With Quote

nzkiwi

Re: Drama Club
Old 08-14-2007, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I guess I should check this board more often -- I've been skipping past it and totally missed Mike's response, closer to when it was first posted. I'm most likely going to get put in charge of a drama club at a private school myself this year.....probably working with grades 5-8. I'd love to be able to bounce some ideas off you and/or get some advice from you, if you are still around. So are you???
nzkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Lnz

Lnz

drama
Old 09-21-2010, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would like to start a dance class/program after school. But I have been thinking that boys may not feel welcome, or just may not be interested. Perhaps it would be better to start a performing arts club? I would love to start something like this but I am just not sure how. I guess the first thing to do would be to speak with the teachers to see if anyone would be willing to help. the next step would be to send home an informational letter to parents and kids, and set a date for tryouts. Hopefully there would be a good turnout and we could get the entire school involved. The ideas here about scripts are very helpful. I am a speech pathologist and have been trying to get my kids to stand up and speak to their peers, and be heard. Public speaking is a challenge for most people, starting them at a young age would facilitate development of a very useful life skill.

sunsets11

Old 09-21-2010, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I direct at the school I teach at.... I direct the 5th and 6th grade musical every year. I love it. If anyone wants info, just PM me. It's not a club persay, we start in January and end in April with the show, rehearse 2 to 3 times a week... lots of paperwork and lots of fun, about 50 kids and me. (parent and teacher help at some rehearsals especially during auditions and at the end).

Good luck everyone!
sunsets11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Student365

Student365

How to create Drama Club...
Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I started one in my school & if i can do it, u can too.Cuz i'm a student!

1. First get all dates, time & how many times per week you'll meet
2. Plan activities & ideas you have.
3. Once everything is planned. ANNOUCE IT! Put posters up and speard the word.
4. have your first meeting. Explain what you are going to do & how its gonna work.
5. Let us (students) pick the play they want to do. Vote. The more interested in the play &
club the better!
6. Hold auditions 4 your play. Try to get as many kids involved as possible. (we like that.)
7. Prepare.Practise.Present! the 3 P's..haha

TIP:
-Use warm-ups & games..Like improve & warm-ups...
-Take them to a play! We went to Startford & saw As You Like It. We even read the
book!
- Continue! The first year is hard but it gets more known & better !

WHY?
Drama club gets students self-confidence up , helps with stage freat, friendly, works together, creative thinking & lets them express themseleves. (plus memorizing!)

There are athletes...Which are known....
But the talented ARTISTICS will come out of the darkness
and lead....

"THE WHOLE WORLD IS A STAGE"- Shakespear

Drama is life...

Hearts,
Angie <3

P.S
GOOD LUCK 2 ALL TEACHERS OUT THERE!! :-)
Finny6

Finny6

How To Start a Drama Club
Old 07-27-2012, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Dear TexTea,

I have just started a drama club for the sixth grade. I will list the steps of beginning a club such as this one.

1. Planning. Get out a notebook and write down all your ideas. Include how many people you would like in your club, the day and number of times you'll meet per week/month, and some of the exercises you would like to do.

2. Make sure that you have perfect permission to begin a club, and once you do, announce the day, time, and location of the meetings.

3. Set up a specified location for the children to sign up with their name and grade. Have a limited amount of space to write names so that you won't have to look after 80 kids at a time.

4. At your first meeting, play simple acting games such as "Name Game", "Machine", or "Transition Movements".

5. At the end of the first meeting, give the class a choice of about three or four plays that are suitable and fun. Let them vote for one, and ask for any other suggestions from the students.

6. Hold auditions for parts in the play. Anyone who doesn't get a part can be the costume designer, artistic director, lighting manager, or so on.

7. Practice means perfect, so work really hard. Have extra club meetings near the performance date.

8. After the final production, either take them to see a play, or watch a movie that was based on a play. If you like, you can create a quiz on the play or movie. Tell the kids beforehand. It gets them to pay more attention to the acting, the performance, and many other things.

GOOD LUCK!!!