Help

The VENT

Restroom Access

>

stolaf

Restroom Access
Old 02-24-2018, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to dedicate this little vent to all the subs out there who have ever needed to access a faculty or adult restroom and can't get in because the doors are all locked and they aren't given a key.
This little ditty is sung to an old country song from the T.V. show Hee-Haw.

Gloom, despair and agony on me.
Deep dark depression, excessive misery,
Couldn't use the restroom,
Didn't have a key,
Gloom, despair and PEE all over me!

stolaf is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 02-24-2018, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I empathize but have to share that this made me laugh because our staff restrooms lock from the inside but can be unlocked from the hall with a key. Our building is new this year. A few weeks into the school year, signs appeared on the exterior of the staff bathroom doors that say "If this door is locked, someone is inside using the restroom". Um... obvious, right? Found out a sub used their key to unlock a bathroom that another teacher was using! Oops!

As a teacher with IBS, "where the bathroom is" is always included in my sub plans. When you gotta go...!
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-24-2018, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have two staff bathrooms.

One is so far away from my classroom that there is no way to get there between classes, so I use the student bathroom.

The other adult bathroom is down stairs inside the locked office, and none of the staff members have a key to that besides administrators, custodians, and office staff.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Use the students' bathroom
Old 02-24-2018, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I try and go when there will be no kids in there. Middle school girls don't understand that sometimes Mother Nature stinks. At least when I'm the p.e. teacher, she leaves her lanyard with keys in her mailbox. I need the key for the locker room, which is to be locked at all times for security. They don't appreciate me keeping the one and only "sub key" for the building. Yes, we get a key to unlock the classroom, but then we need to take it back to the office. When I retired, I donated a bunch of teacher clothes and found my "lost" keys, including the one that would get me into the staff room and staff bathrooms. Stupidly, I returned them.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 02-24-2018, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Many of the schools I sub in don't have adult restrooms, the ones that do don't provide a key for subs we have to go to the office and ask. The key is given with a sigh and a request to return it as soon as we are done (so others can use it). In reality the teacher's classroom key also unlocks the door. If you know the secret, their keys are in their mailboxes, you can grab them - just be sure to return at the end of the day.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-24-2018, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This reminded me of my student teaching placement; the faculty bathrooms were locked and I had to ask my mentor teacher for the key every time I had to go . I have a tiny bladder and had to limit my liquids intake! She tried to get me a key and was told I wasn't allowed because I wasn't a "real teacher" even though I was placed there for the full school year! I'm not sure what kind of trouble they thought I could cause with a restroom key...

I've worked in 3 schools since then and none of them have had locked restrooms. My current school only has 2 single stall staff bathrooms for a staff of at least 60 people, so it's not always available. Sometimes I use the student bathroom if I'm in a hurry. Luckily, ours are kept pretty clean and aren't the tiny little kid bathroom set ups.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sitamoia

Locked bathrooms?!
Old 02-24-2018, 10:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The more I read about US schools the more my mind is boggled!

We are a fairly small school (under 200 students) so our staff is correspondingly small. We have two main staff toilets near the staff room - neither of which are locked -, one in our junior room and one in what was our multi-purpose room but is now another classroom due to roll growth. None are locked or more than a minute from one end of the school to the other. Which is a good thing if you like to drink regular cups of tea

Last edited by Sitamoia; 02-24-2018 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Because I seem to have lost the ability to capitalise.
Sitamoia is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Restrooms
Old 02-25-2018, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've never worked at a school where the staff bathrooms were locked. It would bother me a lot if I was a sub and was not given a key.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 02-25-2018, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I worked in a building for 13 years that had no staff bathroom. There was one in the nurse's office... but that was used by sick kids.

When I subbed I never knew where a staff bathroom was. I just used the closest facilities.

My building now has 2 staff bathrooms, and both are not all that close to my room. I use a student bathroom, but since we're an elementary the stool is a bit close to the ground. You just get used to it!
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 02-25-2018, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

As far as I know, none of the schools in my district have locked bathrooms requiring a key. What is the purpose? So kids won't go in there? Is it a middle/high school thing?

jov is online now   Reply With Quote

Maceola

Yup
Old 02-25-2018, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The email arrived two weeks ago. All bathrooms are now locked, and we need our key to get in. We can't keep our classroom doors open or propped anymore either. Just about every door in our elementary school is now locked except for student restrooms. It's starting to feel very cold and institutional.
Maceola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 02-25-2018, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've never been in a school where staff access to toilets was restricted by a key. Our union would be on to that in a heartbeat - access to the toilet is a basic necessity that has to be provided.

At my current school, there is one adult toilet in the admin building and one attached to one of the classrooms (and is not used by the children). It's a very small school. My previous, bigger, school, had several scattered around the premises. They're only locked if somebody is using them.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

stolaf

Old 02-26-2018, 02:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My pre-K room had a restroom. Yes, the toilets were about 6 inches off the floor- but desperation is the mother of creativity and I got used to it. lol!

stolaf

toilet paper
Old 02-26-2018, 02:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I think that the real reason subs aren't given keys to the restroom is because they believe that we'll steal all the toilet paper!

Tiamat

Old 02-26-2018, 02:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I made some inquiries today and, if working toilets aren't accessible to everyone on the premises, it's a work, health and safety issue, and the workplace could be shut down until the issue is fixed (ie, doors unlocked or keys available to everyone).
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

amherstteach

Old 02-26-2018, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Our staff bathrooms have always been locked and I have been teaching for 16 years. That being said, all of them are accessible using our room key as all of the classrooms are keyed the same in our building. I teach in a high school. I suspect that the doors are locked so that kids can't get in to have a session of "hanky pinky" or to do drugs/smoke, etc.
amherstteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Maceola

Administration
Old 02-26-2018, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

says it a safety issue. I guess if a looney tune makes their way into the building, it's deceases the number of hiding spots.

stolaf

Restroom Access
Old 02-26-2018, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Yes... back in the good old days when I was a 'real teacher' our bathrooms were locked also. Subs were not given either room keys or bathroom keys.
But things do change when you're just a sub.
The point that I am truly trying to make is that subs should treated as professionals, given access to an adult or faculty restroom and not forced to beg a 'real teacher' for a key or be expected to use a student restroom, which could inadvertently cause not only the sub, but the school, and the district unwanted media attention and frivolous law suits should one of those students decides to accuse you, the sub, of lurking in the restroom. What? Do you think that students would never do that? Ha!
I personally would like to keep my life certificates and my reputation, to say nothing of my meager retirement check intact; as well as my undies dry.
The solution is so simple--When a sub signs in, he or she is issued a key. In order to get this key, the sub must give the office something in return--maybe your driver's license, car keys, or first born. At the end of the day the sub returns the key and collects his/her valuable. This strategy would work unless you are having a bad day with your first born and would rather keep the key and leave the kid!

happygirl444

Old 02-27-2018, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I think it's ridiculous you don't have non-keyed access to the restroom. I have never worked in a school where faculty restrooms are locked. How embarrassing to have to ask for a key!
happygirl444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Maceola

stolaf
Old 03-03-2018, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Many years back when I was a sub, that's exactly how it was done in many schools. You gave them your license and they gave you the room key. Everything was neatly exchanged at the end of the day. Once the office staff got to know you, they didn't even ask for your I.D. anymore.