Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Dorm room best buys

>

kerteach2

Dorm room best buys
Old 07-29-2018, 11:17 AM

DD will be a college freshman and is our 1st one in college.
So...
What were the best things you purchased or had for a dorm room?
What were the worst things you bought and realized they weren't needed?

Her room will have 1 roommate and their own bathroom. I hate spending money on things she really won't need.
Thanks

kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Old 07-29-2018, 11:29 AM

Best things: fan, study lamp and a tote to carry bathroom products

Not needed: new towels, new bedding. They're fun, but there is no need to purchase new things.
cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-29-2018, 11:37 AM

Is the mattress an X-long twin? I think most are, so you do need sheets to fit. A dorm fridge was a must for me.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmom

Old 07-29-2018, 11:38 AM

One thing we didn't buy that DS ended up needing was a clothes drying rack.

He also really enjoyed having one of these.

I made him a plastic shoe box of all kinds of OTC meds - advil, cold meds, cough drops, diarrhea pills, vitamin C drops, bandaids, ace bandage, Tums, etc. I think that box actually helped him make friends
ajmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 07-29-2018, 11:42 AM

My 2 liked having a set of those cube bin storage containers. Could hold light weight clothing and/or other personal items. There's usually not enough storage space anyway.

Check the size of the mattresses. She may need the Xlong type fitted sheets. The regular, as well as mattress pad, won't fit.

Mine had no need for a bathroom caddy to carry items in since they also had a bathroom in their room.

Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

this was great for dd small room
Old 07-29-2018, 11:46 AM

The college provided a fridge but the only place to put it was on the desk. Got a fridge stand from container store. She kept all her snacks and food items on the shelves and put her microwave on top of the fridge.

Later used it in her college apt for a tv and game console. Stored the games on the shelves.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-29-2018, 12:31 PM

DS and DD thought these were fabulous for many dorm needs (and I still use them in weird places).
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 07-29-2018, 01:07 PM

Wow! A bathroom to share with only one other. My boy's college provided a refrigerator but he brought a microwave and a big TV. Lots of guys stopped over to watch it. There are many shopping lists for girls on Pinterest.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Dorm bath
Old 07-29-2018, 02:16 PM

My sons each had a Sterilite 3 drawer storage unit. One drawer held extra tp and a paper towel roll. One held over the counter meds. One held soap, shampoo, etc. I'm not sure exactly what was in each drawer, but you get the idea.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

My son's number one
Old 07-29-2018, 02:31 PM

suggestion would be a memory foam mattress topper. Dorm mattresses can be uncomfortable, and my son was very happy to have the memory foam topper on his mattress.

He also loved having a folding chair, which he used quite a bit in the different rooms he had. He used it when studying, but mostly for video games. He still has it in his bachelor apartment.

It looked something like this:

Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 07-29-2018, 03:13 PM

Ds will be a sophomore. He loved the stacking storage bins from the container store. You can stack them however you want to. I bought him the small and large ones. They are sturdy so they will last him four years. They are so much better than the cheap plastic drawers.
https://www.containerstore.com/s/sto...uctId=11008016
I also made him a first aid kit with the usual: band aids, cold meds, Advil... He says it was good to have when he was not feeling well.
I bought him a good mattress topper for the bed. He thanked me after he slept on it and felt what the mattresses were that didn’t have any.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 07-29-2018, 03:43 PM

I had found some heavy plastic risers that go under each leg of the bed. This raised the bed up off the floor so that an under the bed storage container would fit underneath.
chalkdusty is online now   Reply With Quote

it'sjustme

Dorm needs
Old 07-29-2018, 05:12 PM

A power strip. One with a USB port would be best.

I also packed my daughter a medicine kit: tylenol, Motrin, cold meds, pesto bismal, band aids, thermometer, etc..
it'sjustme is offline   Reply With Quote

ziatchr

small tool kit
Old 07-29-2018, 06:24 PM

a small tool kit with a few tools would be handy...a couple of screwdrivers (maybe some tiny ones for little battery covers). Extra batteries. A flashlight. tape measure. thumbtacks or command strips. a pair of pliers. zip ties. duct tape.
ziatchr is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

college
Old 07-29-2018, 07:02 PM

DS's needed less than DD. They just wanted essentials - microwave, bed, and frig.

Needed:
1. She didn't have storage for food, so she kept a Rubbermaid container under her bed with nonperishable food.
2. She loved her Keurig for coffee, tea, and hot chocolate in her room.
3. She needed a bathroom rug for stepping out of the shower.
4. Those 3M hooks are priceless. She used them for pictures, towels, etc...

Not Needed:
1. If they have a bathroom, she won't be taking the shampoo in and out - so a tote isn't necessary.
2. School supplies - we bought an overabundance of them for DS and he brought most of them home. Just didn't need as much as we thought.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-30-2018, 02:36 AM

Command strips would not work on my son's dorm wall so before you spend lots of money on them make sure they will work.

Also a stapler and a whole punch are two things that a lot of people don't think to bring and are quite useful. Be sure to buy a box of refill Staples.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-30-2018, 05:03 AM

A good computer and printer. Though most assignments are submitted electronically and there are printers on campus, it’s amazing to have your own. Also a fridge, microwave, and TV. We weren’t allowed any coffee makers or toaster ovens in the dorms.

Definitely agree with the power strip and I used the bedside pocket somebody else linked.

We weren’t allowed to use bed risers, but the beds could be “lofted” so I wouldn’t buy risers until you know you’ll need them.

I shared a bathroom with 3 other girls and still had a tote to move our stuff in and out. The shower just wasn’t large enough to hold all of our stuff.

Things I had to get last minute:
Hammer and Screwdriver
A fabric curtain and tension rod for over the closet

Things I used a lot:
I had a meal plan but still used cups, melamine plates, silverware so an organizer for all of that

Glad I had the mattress topper for my bed

Pop up laundry bag (we had to carry our laundry down to the communal machines)

Small dry erase board for the outside of the door. We would leave notes for each other all of the time.

An umbrella (I didn’t bring one and having to walk across campus was awful the first time it rained )

A pillow like this for the bed, I sat on the bed to work vs using my desk
https://www.target.com/p/gray-bedres...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 07-30-2018, 06:52 AM

Oh, my. Some of these suggestions are so school dependent. For example, one school had the fridge/microwave combo in all of the rooms. It just came with the room at a built-in cost. Some rooms have air conditioning and don't really need fans unless someone really likes a fan.

I would recommend a safe for meds or important documents. I hate to say it, but kids are lucky if they get a great roommate. However, some are horrible and do things that might open up your child to theft - even if it isn't the roommate who is doing the taking.

Read dorm information on-line because there are very specific requirements for electronics (ones that shut off automatically), microwave max wattage, types of extension cords or power strips, etc. Using the school provided lists are usually very helpful.

Best things - shower tote, shower shoes (great ones now with holes in the bottom for water to drain), under the bed storage (bed and room dependent), mattress foam, propping pillow for the bed, and plastic drawer bin with wheels for extra storage.

Luckily there wasn't really a worst thing except for a clip lamp and fan. Furniture was too large to clip those things on and the lighting and air conditioning was sufficient in the room.