Substitute Teachers

Disrespect

>

artladyhere

Disrespect
Old 04-24-2019, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you handle it?

Today's 6th grade boys and their shocking disrespect makes me reevaluate why I even sub to begin with.

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

It depends...
Old 04-26-2019, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd have to say it depends on what constitutes disrespect. I ignore a lot but model respect for the kids. I'm actually often surprised at how little respect the kids get from adults at home and at school.

It's a different world than it was a generation ago... courtesy and respect are not often given automatically. I find it necessary to establish roles quickly and, often, firmly. But I'm also willing to respect the fact that a lot of kids are used to being treated like crap--both at home and at school.

I'm reasonably tolerant because "your behavior says more about you than it does about me" and "I'll treat you the way you teach me to treat you."

Disrespect is usually about a power struggle. Usually, the best way to win is not to play the game. I'm not easily rattled... and how I'm treated doesn't have any impact on how I feel about myself. Once the kids see that, things tend to get better.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 04-27-2019, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I look at this post and it was a snapshot of my day and this ended up being a venting post that shouldn't haven't been posted in the first place.

Phew, cross that day off and I have had two positive subbing days since that horrid day.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Valid Venting...
Old 04-28-2019, 02:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think there's a consensus that venting is a valid purpose of this forum! No problem!
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote