Help

The VENT

I’m not a freakin babysitter.

>

NewCAteacher

I’m not a freakin babysitter.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is the first year I’ve actually had problems with a teacher. Said teacher seems to believe that as the resource teacher, I am the babysitter of students with IEPs. Any time one of my students misbehaves she e-mails me. Student’s binder is disorganized? E-mail. Student refused work during class time? Expects me to give up my break time to force them to work. Student with very slow processing speed doesn’t follow my directions in 2 seconds? Yells at student and criticizes me for “not being consistent.” I finally spoke up for myself today after one of her little e-mails. I think she gets the message but for pete’s Sake....

NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I don't know the age of the students
Old 10-08-2019, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but I might just respond to her emails with a suggestion that she share this information with the parents. Organized binder-parents problem to solve. student refuses directions from teacher-parents problem to solve, etc.

Yells at students..um, NO! just NO!
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Chipmunky
Old 10-08-2019, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They are upper elementary. The problem is that the parents are not supportive at home so she expects me to do the parenting.
NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

I would
Old 10-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Resend the list of appropriate accommodations for the student. As the classroom teacher, she is responsible for providing accommodations - a student with processing difficulties might have extra wait time, or visual directions so he/she can process at their own pace.

Not that you shouldn’t help the whole student, but...
Does he or she have an organizational goal?
Does he or she have a behavioral goal?
Then sorry, it’s not your aegis. At this point, offer suggestions for classroom teacher accommodations using “You language”
...you can help ___ by checking his planner before he leaves
...you can help ___ by organizing his binder with him near the end of the day
...you can help ____ by providing visual or written instructions on the board or at his/her seat.

Also, for refusing to work? Well, what does she do for any other kid who is not on task? Having an IEP does not make a student exempt from consequences.

It sounds like the teacher needs a reminder that it is not “my” or “ your” student but “our” student and therefore “our” responsibility.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Old 10-09-2019, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am facing the same thing at my school! It is the classroom teacher's responsibility to read and adhere to the IEP - if lessons and assessments need to be modified I can possibly help but I do not know the curriculum for social studies and science and will have limited input. I modify and create my own lessons, activities, and assessments based on the students' needs for math and ELA taught in my resource room. I am feeling the "squeeze" this year as additional duties have been added to everyone's schedule - I do not have common planning every day and less time to meet with other teachers.

It is very frustrating!

Last edited by MightyTeach; 10-09-2019 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
MightyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote