Help

The VENT

Help!!!

>

Lanieob

Help!!!
Old 10-14-2019, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am seeking some advice for one of my students. He came to K from a private preschool. What looks like severe behavior issues is in reality sensory issues, regulatory issues and some behavior mixed in. He also could be on the spectrum. He has really run us ragged- me, my assistant and the para for two other inclusion students in my room. He needs total attention. He comes from a private preschool- where he was not sent for evaluation or identification of any kind. I know I have to expedite the sped / behaviorist/ OT process ASAP- but as you know- it takes forever. (at least in my district) How do I keep things going for the rest of the kids in the meantime? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lanieob is offline   Reply With Quote

Emily26

Emily26

Document document document
Old 10-14-2019, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Assign your assistant to him as a one-on-one at this point. Many teachers have 30+ kids with no assistant, so you can do it! That's not a permanent solution, but it will help keep everyone safe until you can get him appropriate help.

ConnieWI

Past Data
Old 10-15-2019, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would ask permission from the parents to contact the private preschool (or your principal, social worker, or school psychologist can make this contact) so you can get some background information about this child. Perhaps records are in your school from this preschool...cum folder. If not, when the contact is made with the preschool, ask them to send any records they have...will probably need the parent's permission to get these.

At conferences, I would ask the parents what the child's doctor says, and I would ask the parents for information about their child at home. With your documentation in hand, I would share with parents the behaviors, etc. you are seeing in the classroom.

I also think Emily's idea is a good one.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote