The VENT

STAR Testing

>

learn

STAR Testing
Old 10-17-2019, 03:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello PT,
Not sure if you all do the STAR testing for each quarter to see if students made growth, but in my county in Florida we do. Seven of my kids this first quarter just stayed the same...I'm concerned obviously. I start parent/teacher conferences tomorrow and I really don't know what to tell these parents....

All I can think of is that kids learn differently, and develop at different times, and that this test score is not the only one we look at to determine growth.

Anything else that I should be thinking of to tell them?

Thanks in advance.

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 10-17-2019, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are they at grade level or above? Do the students read independently? Are you seeing growth in other areas? These are a couple factors that can effect how much growth is shown each quarter.

Yes, all kids learn differently and this is just one measure taken on one day are appropriate response. If you are concerned that the students is below grade level and not making gains then I would be prepared to share what I'm doing in the classroom to help student.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

2nd grade
Old 10-17-2019, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They do well in other areas...except for one child. She concerns me. When I ask her relatively simple questions she makes a face as if she doesn't understand where she is literally standing. For example, find me the verb=action word...I tell her in this sentence, she will take literally 5 minutes and then sometimes can't answer.

How do I tell the parents this...or just simply explain this and see if they see it at home.
learn is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 10-17-2019, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If the students are already reading at or above grade level and are showing growth in other areas I wouldn't be concerned at this point. Just let parents know you are keeping a close eye on their progress.

The student that is presenting as you described may have trouble with verbal processing. She may have trouble understanding verbal language. I suggest giving directions as succinctly as possible, repeating if needed, speaking slowly and clearly. I know I can talk quickly making it difficult for some to fully grasp what I'm saying. Also have written directions or examples to support what you are saying. Do you see this in areas other than language arts? Does she struggle with following directions during transitions such as put your math book away and take out your markers?

Yes, you could ask parents if she can follow through with simple verbal instructions at home. Ask if she needs things repeated frequently. Depending on students age, she should be able to accomplish multi-step directions without reminders.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 10-17-2019, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Iím in Florida as well...
Are you referring to STAR on AR?

My kids also take it each quarter. Itís a good data piece to have but I definitely donít put huge stock in it. Some things to keep in mind:

Itís timed, so if they run out of time on a question itís counted wrong

Itís 90% vocabulary based so if they struggle with vocabulary they will struggle with the assessment (my ELL kids tend to show lower due to this)

If they already are above level itís even harder to go up. We took it this week and one of my kidís ZPD was a 4.6-6.3 she went to a 4.1-6.1... teach 3rd Grade so I donít consider that to be no growth.

My kids who read regularly definitely show more growth!

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote