Substitute Teachers

questioned about age

>

newsub10

newsub10

questioned about age
Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am new to subbing and find myself at a loss of words when student ask my age. I am fairly young compared to their regular teachers (26, but I look about 20 and am 5 foot tall) So, students like to question my age as if that undermines my credibility as a substitute. What are some ways I can respond to this question? (Besides the usual: It's none of your concern)???? Thanks!

grav_def

Old 04-27-2010, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

"I'm a grown-up. That's all you need to know."
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote
newsub10

newsub10

Old 04-27-2010, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In case it matters: I have been subbing at the middle school level.

ClassWatcher

Old 04-27-2010, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If they state an age, like "What are you, like 23." even though I'm 25 I'll say, "Really, do I look that young? I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you."

They have always let it drop with that. I like to think they are confused, pondering, "Just how old is this lady?"
ClassWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

2strike

Age question
Old 04-27-2010, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I guess I'm on the other side of the coin on this one. I'm 60, and I don't mind saying so. I tell classes about how I helped my 6 kids through school, in the same schools that I now sub in. I like to joke with an algebra class, "Well ... its been 43 years since I took algebra ... " The students will laugh at that, but they usually decide that I might be able to help them after all.

Sometimes, it startles me to find myself teaching about things that I lived through and remember well. Just today, it was a US History class, and the subject was the Cold War and how JFK handled the Cuban crisis and the Berlin Wall. The text didn't mention JFK's "Ich bin ein Berliner!" speech, so I described the tension of the times, and the thunderous approval that West Berlin gave to the American president.

Teachers should not be pressured to reveal their age. But, you are what you are. My point is, whatever your age, whatever your talents, you can find a way to connect with students! Sometimes, it takes a little trial and error.

Good luck!

2strike is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

Ball Three

Suspended
If they ask I tell them my age (74)...
Old 04-27-2010, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

...or sometimes just tell them I'm older than the whole bunch of them put together.
(A slight exaggeration, but they're never quite fast enough to challenge my math!)

Then I turn it into a teaching moment by saying, "And why do you suppose I can
still chase you little tigers around the playground at my age? Because I've worked
out hard all my life, just like we're gonna do today when we go out to PE."
Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

I ALWAYS say...
Old 04-27-2010, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Didn't you know it isn't polite to ask a lady her age?

I leave it at that. It is the truth. It may seem a rude thing to say back, but in all honestly it is a life skill/social skill they need to learn and we are in school to learn. I consider it a teachable moment. lol
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

depends...
Old 04-27-2010, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

if they are asking to be annoying...I would flat out tell kids that they shouldn't ask adults how old they are...its rude!

Sometimes I'd tell them..."I graduated college in 2006 and I was 22 then. What year is it now? OK...so how old am I?"

Other times I'd throw it back at them. When they asked "How old are you?" I'd come back with..."How old are YOU?" Then we talked about their birthday for a bit etc....
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

TxFlower

Old 04-27-2010, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

With older kids, I answer like subczy, "it isn't polite to ask a woman's age!"

With little kids, I just answer.

I have never had one ask in a way that makes it seem ugly. Part of that is probably that though I look young for my age, I do look old enough to be a teacher, at very least. I can't imagine had I started subbing at 18 or even 26. I probably wouldn't have found high school as easy when I looked so incredibly young myself.

My daughter plans to sub very part time next fall. She will have to, at schools that include 5th and 6th grades (she doesn't plan to do older than that), dress professionally as MANY 5th and 6th graders look older than she does.

In my NEA (student) magazine, there is an article about a male teacher who had to wear a tie so as not to look like his (elementary) students. Some people just look YOUNG.
TxFlower is offline   Reply With Quote

stizzle

Old 04-27-2010, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I usually just joke that I am ancient (I'm a young looking 27). And they usually say "No, how old are you really?" to which I just say again "Oh my gosh, super old. Where did I put my cane?"

After a few of these they realize that I'm not telling and it sort of lightens up the class a little.

If it's asked in a disrespectful way, I usually just ask them if that is what we are talking about right now. The answer is no, of course, and I just keep teaching.

stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

theichibun

Old 04-28-2010, 02:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It's all about the context of the question. I've never had anyone ask in a rude way either. At the worst they're trying to waste time so they don't have to work. It's really not a big deal. Answer if you want, don't if you don't.

I answer because I don't care if they know that I'm only 23, including the high school kids. I've never had anyone start behaving any differently after they found out except that they suddenly got a lot better at hiding their phones in class.
theichibun is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 04-29-2010, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

why would you want to respond...is it anywhere in the lesson plan that your personal life is to be discussed???!!!! yeah, we all dish out a little bit about ourselves BUT it's only because WE CHOOSE TO not because some "student" asked.

Yes, it is offensive and my response is "IS IT IN THE LESSON?" THEN I WE CAN MOVE ON...

a lot of times the students do this as a stall tactic...my son told me that a student did this exact same thing to a "new sub" and they ended up eating up 30 minutes of valuable class time because the "new sub" didn't have a clue as to when to move it along....
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

leecie

Old 04-29-2010, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I also look young for my age and get that question a lot. I either say something silly like "I'm 305, I just look good for my age" or "you should never ask a lady her age". My first year teaching, a mother asked me several times during conferences how old I was. I thought it was very rude of her so I just laughed and said "Don't worry, I'm old enough to be teaching." Last year, I met a mother for the first time after picture day. She told me I looked like a high school student in the class picture. Once again, I just laughed.
leecie is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 04-30-2010, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

"Older than you."

But really, many students think that I'm in my teens, but I am still able to work with them and have them treat me like the adult that I am. The other teachers, however, will sometimes tell me that I look like a child and then proceed to treat me like one.
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote