Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

2 novels at one time

>

davisffwife

2 novels at one time
Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going to give my fifth graders a choice of 2 novels to read. I would like to know if any of you have ever done this and what activities did you have the students do? Any suggestions on how to handle this?

davisffwife is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

Lit Circles
Old 01-13-2012, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I normally have about 5 literature circles going at one time. I assign a certain day or days each week that we meet to discuss the book. For each chapter or section, the students fill out a lit log. The lit log consists of a prediction, vocabulary words, questions, comments, and a summary. They use the lit log to discuss the book.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 01-14-2012, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have two units where I do this. At one point we do an author study and I'll have up to 5 different Avi novels going at once. The students meet every other day to discuss the novel, and then complete a graphic organizer related to author's style and craft.

I also pair Hatchet and Island of the Blue Dolphins for boy/girls study. Each group has a diary of activities that they complete as they read the book. These groups meet daily.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachK26

Literature circles
Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Literature circles - not each group reads the same novel - three or four novels can be read at the same time by students. Different roles by each member of the group. Teacher is a guidance person not an instructor.
TeachK26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

Book Clubs
Old 01-15-2012, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Using novel sets with different groups (differentiation) and role sheets (I have 6 different ones). Right now, I have 7 groups going and I just move from group to group sitting in on a couple each day...I also have a student teacher doing the same.

Then, at the end of the novel, they have a set list of assignments that they complete (retelling, character map, etc.)

Then, they start again. I loop with my kids for 4th and 5th, so once they learn it, they just keep doing it for the duration. It is a favorite time of day. I then choose novel sets based on genre, theme or tied to what we are learning in Science or Social Studies, thus using it for integration.

Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote