Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

How long do your books last?

>

Bookit19

Bookit19

How long do your books last?
Old 05-19-2019, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been teaching prek for a while now. I have a collection of books I use just for me and a collection I put out for the students to read. I stopped doing the later because my students tear books up. I'm taking about bending them backwards on purpose, rolling them into "telescopes", and outright ripping pages out for various reasons. At first, I thought they were doing this because I had a few books that looked used. Not like falling a part, but just dog earred. I went and got cheap books that looked brand new from various sources. These books were fought over only to be purposely broken. I've also been using school resources, but the results are the same. These children are three and four. I have a few bilingual and a lot who are qualify for sped but parents are refusing service. Any advice?

seenthelight

Remove all books
Old 05-19-2019, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

They get no access to books until they have been explicitly taught how to use them and shown mastery of the skill. A lot of kids do not have access to books at home anymore nor do they go to the public library. As a result, they donít know how to use a book. Once theyíve shown mastery of the skill, put the books back out a little at a time and make deliberately damaging them a hanging offense. Itís actually much easier to nip this in the bud with 3-4 year olds than with older kids. Iíve had a couple of classes lose classroom library privileges permanently. They could only have books from the school library, and woe be to them if they damaged those. Our school librarian is scary.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Casafun

Remove and Show them
Old 06-01-2019, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How to use the books.

As seenthelight has said many children starting preschool arenít used to books. I work as a substitute at Early Childhood college center program. If the books are ripped we will let the kids know that we canít use the books if they are damaged or destroyed, if they are completely destroyed we will toss them and let them now this is what happens (they are all bought or donated). We also tell the kids to put away the books so they arenít stepped on.

We also do not put all of the books out. Many of our books are in cupboards or shelves that kids canít reach.

I think if thier is a big issue with the books being ripped maybe start with a few books about 1-3 and then add more.

Most of our books do last the year, though we also switch some of them out.
Casafun is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 07-08-2019, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know what age you are working with, so take this with a grain of salt.

Very young children may lack the fine motor skills necessary for turning pages without ripping them. You might consider having board books available.

Definitely teach how to take care of a book and how to use it properly. And let them know how excited you are when there's a beautiful new book and how careful you are with it. As you read to a group, you can say things like, "Oh, I need to turn the page very carefully, so I don't rip it." or "Look how new this book looks, even though we've been reading it all week. Everyone is using their gentle hands." or "Let's all go wash our hands. It's reading time and we need to keep our books clean."
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote