Help

The Job Search

Beginning to feel hopeless

>

mthompson0016

Beginning to feel hopeless
Old 07-12-2019, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Little about me - I graduated with a BA in English lit and then worked in retail for a year (fulltime, and still I was under the poverty line lol) before going back to school for a MAT program to teach secondary ELA. It was like a lightbulb went off. I'd wanted to be a teacher when I was little but had been persuaded to think about other routes in the intervening years. Being in a classroom is the only thing that makes any sense to me, it is the only "job" I have ever had that makes me excited to wake up early in the morning and get out of the house. I love it. Imagine my excitement when I graduated and could start applying for positions!

I've applied for at least 30 jobs in my area. Everything within I think 90-ish miles. I can't leave my area for a few reasons (money, lease, family, fiance, fiance's great job here...) but I haven't had a single call back after the handful of interviews I've had. I had one interview at the school I loved (subbed at, did my student teaching at) which hired 7 teachers in my content in May... one of them being a girl I graduated with. I didn't have another interview until the end of June - that one went to another girl I knew from school, who graduated the semester before me. Two more interviews with no responses... and I don't know what to do. All of the interviews seem to go great. The last interview felt so perfect, the principals even told me how much of a pleasure it was to speak with me, and it felt genuine and like such a great fit. And nothing.

I've been trying so hard to stay positive the last couple of months. And mostly I've done pretty well at that. But this week has been awful. I'm making sure I have all my paperwork handled to substitute in my local districts because I'm beginning to give up hope of actually teaching next year.

What should I do? I've been bringing in some lesson/student samples of what I did last semester with me but hardly anyone asks to see them, so I don't want to pull together a legitimate portfolio if no one is going to care. My resume is solid, I had multiple advisors and established teacher friends look it over. One teacher from my internship placement even told me I was a "shoe in" for one of the 7 positions at that school. Schools start back in like two weeks here... when should I stop hoping? What should I change? Am I simply unemployable, or just not good enough?

mthompson0016 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Same problem
Old 07-14-2019, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have been trying for some time to get a permanent teaching position, but have been overlooked. I talked to someone in HR and she suggested I add endorsements to my certification. She specifically suggested special education and middle school. I asked for advice here and the opinion of the person who responded was to add endorsements to make myself more marketable. Also in the past I have noticed there seems to be a standing listing for math teachers in my area.

Last year I sent emails to administrators at the schools I would be willing to work. I briefly introduced myself and asked them to remember me should an opening arise. I was interviewed at two different schools but did not get either position. I was offered a Title I Tutor position which I took. It was part time but at least I received great pay for that position. I am hoping for a permanent position this school year but if that doesn't work out, I am looking forward to this role again for the upcoming school year.

I hope you get a position for this school year. Don't give up.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 07-14-2019, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don’t want to add to your current state, but the truth is ELA jobs are scarce. There are more teachers than available slots. Many schools are making it a hybrid job, mainly with social studies. I’ve seen it paired with Math, health, even foreign languages. My former advisor was trying to convince me to get a Sped endorsement, but I didn’t want to do that work as my heart would not be in it. It also depends on where you are. I’d say you need to apply to at least 50 jobs, as many as you can apply to.
I wouldn’t read too much into how interviews go, as sometimes they know who they are hiring and you are just there to fill a quota.
People usually get hired because they have some kind of connection to the school.
If you are on the west coast, I can say that is hard place to get a job. Rural and smaller schools are your best bet. I’ve subbed for almost three years and I’m still trying to get my first job. This is more common than I thought. But like I said, it depends on where you are. If you are in a large metro area I would concentrate on smaller districts that are less desirable and may be more of a commute. If you are already in a rural area, I would try to apply to schools that would still be something you could manage to commute to, like 50 miles or less. Good luck.

Also, I wouldn’t bring in a portfolio, at least to a first interview. Just memorize what you were going to show, and say it in the interview. Portfolios are outdated and no one really cares about them, esp for student teaching.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-16-2019, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My friend was middle school ELA certified and got nothing. She took 2 or 3 classes to get math certified and had a phone call literally 5 minutes after updating her position. She taught 2 math classes and 3 ELA classes. She LOVED it.

Long story short, Id add a math endorsement if youre looking at middle school.

If youre looking at Elementary, Id add ESL or Sped.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

gertegan

Old 08-01-2019, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Join the club. I've been trying all summer to get back in, as an ELA teacher, and haven't had success. I already looked up and am going to take the middle grades science test this September, so that I'll be more marketable next year. Just keep plugging away.

gertegan is offline   Reply With Quote