Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

The Rain on Netflix

>

Tulips

The Rain on Netflix
Old 07-28-2019, 02:06 PM

Is anyone watching this? My MIL recommended it, and I've watched almost an entire season in one sitting. I'm really enjoying it. Without giving too much away, it takes place in Denmark? and is about what happens when the rain comes and spreads a deadly virus throughout the country. Very well done, I think.

Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-28-2019, 02:10 PM

I've heard a lot of people like it. Are you watching the dubbed version or the version with subtitles? The thing that keeps me from checking it out is that everyone I've heard talk about it says the dubbed is horrible and you have to do the subtitles version. I don't see myself maintaining interest in something where I have to read subtitles for the entire show.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 07-28-2019, 02:13 PM

I watched it! I really liked the first season, but the second season was not as good. A lot of plot holes, I felt. Still entertaining, but not as good as Dark, the German TV show about time travel.

As for subtitles, I watch everything with subtitles now, even English shows. You don't even realize you're reading them after a while. In fact, I miss them if they're not there!
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 07-28-2019, 02:25 PM

I'm with Izzy on this. I watch everything with the closed captioning turned on. That way I don't have to have the tv blaring.

Several years ago, I stumbled on to Korean dramas. Subtitles are, of course, a must in this case. We watched so many that we began understanding a phrase here and there. Funny thing was we were turning up the volume to hear the speech even though we are 99% relying on the subtitles.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

TV volume and subtitles
Old 07-28-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Funny thing was we were turning up the volume to hear the speech even though we are 99% relying on the subtitles.
I don't think this is weird at all! You get so much from the tone when you listen to something.

eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-28-2019, 03:10 PM

I haven't seen this one. I'm not a fan of subtitles- mainly because I almost always watch things while I'm working on paperwork for my job, so I am looking at a computer and listening to TV.

Quote:
Several years ago, I stumbled on to Korean dramas. Subtitles are, of course, a must in this case. We watched so many that we began understanding a phrase here and there. Funny thing was we were turning up the volume to hear the speech even though we are 99% relying on the subtitles
I love some of those shows! I waxed poetic on here a while back about one of the school-based series I absolutely loved. But it was SO hard to watch them because I could do nothing *but* watch them while they were on (otherwise I wouldn't know what was happening). I picked up some phrases, too More, I picked up mannerisms and vocalizations that weren't words but still conveyed meaning. It was nice to have seen those before I actually went to Korea over a year ago.

I'll have to think about watching The Rain. Probably if I start watching it, Netflix will disappear it on me (still grumpy @ Netflix for that one- my post earlier today).
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 07-28-2019, 04:43 PM

I'm halfway throught the second season. As another poster stated, it's not as good as the first season.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MeMimi

Old 07-29-2019, 04:38 AM

I watched the dubbed version of it. Of course the lips don't fully match the words I am hearing but I made it through. I watched the whole first season and then about half way through the 2nd season. The second season isn't as good, hence not finishing it yet. I will, just not at the top of my list.
MeMimi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

Dubbed version
Old 08-07-2019, 07:53 AM

I watched the dubbed version, and didn't realize it was dubbed or foreign until episode 2 or so. I think they do a pretty good job, but of course it's not perfect.

Sad to hear that season 2 is not as good as the first one
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote