Anyone get a bachelor's in something other than teaching and then went back later? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Anyone get a bachelor's in something other than teaching and then went back later?

>

Mimi92

Anyone get a bachelor's in something other than teaching and then went back later?
Old 08-12-2019, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have always wanted to be an early education teacher but for some reason or another I decided to major in English in college. Now at 27 years old having graduated college five years ago I really want to be an early childhood education teacher.

I was just hoping that there is someone out there that I could talk to about this. I need help with what my next step should be. I'm from Ohio so any teachers that may have done this that is from Ohio would be ideal. Any help at all though would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mimi92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Subbing?
Old 08-12-2019, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you don't have to fully support yourself, try subbing. It's what I do in Massachusetts (with a BS is in Mathematics) and it looks like you could do the same in Ohio:

https://owlcation.com/academia/How-t...-A-Quick-Guide

I worked in banking before taking a few years off as a SAHM, and then got into subbing for the flexibility. My husband has a good job, so mine is for "extras" and I only wanted part time, but I think a lot of people use it to get a foot in the door with school districts. - If they really want you to go fill time, they might be able to help you get your certification.

And if you want to stick strictly to preschool, Ohio has an Associate's license as well that might take less time to get:

https://www.preschoolteacher.org/ohio/
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 08-12-2019, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm in Ohio but hadn't moved here yet when I went back to school to get my teaching certification.

In NC I had a few options. I could have gotten my Masters in Education. However I wanted a traditional student teaching experience. I opted to do a post-bacc program that basically involved taking all of the undergrad education requirements. It took me 2 years as a full-time student.

When I was done I had my teaching certification but not another degree.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 08-12-2019, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did a Masters in Education. Started one summer and finished the next. Student taught.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

geoteacher8

I got a degree
Old 08-12-2019, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In earth science and then went back to get a second undergrad degree in elementary ed. Getting a masterís would have made me too expensive to get hired in my state.

geoteacher8 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-12-2019, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My bachelors was in International Business. I went back several years later for my cert. I don't know now why I didn't get my master's at that time, but I didn't. That is the one thing I would change, but it isn't a big deal.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 09-01-2019, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I got my bachelor's in English and then went back to get a master's in elementary education with a focus in ECE
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote