Help

The VENT

Not going to give you all day.

>

MissAgnes

Not going to give you all day.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm not sure what the teachers in the grade below me did last year. My students this year take FOREVER to get anything done. I gave them 5 vocab words yesterday. They had to copy the word, definition, part of speech, and a sentence from the book, and draw a quick picture. They had 15 minutes yesterday. I have them 10 minutes today. I still have students who only have 1 word done. 1 word in 25 minutes.
I have to use a timer for everything, or we would never get anything done.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-17-2019, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have found that some kids will take forever, no matter what. Some take as much time as you give them. I like the timer and have used it, too. I guarantee you the teachers for the next couple of years wondered the same thing as you. But I tried to push them.

Make the time shorter and up the requirements. Reward kids who are getting work done for doing more. Make sure the grade/consequence reflects the lack of work completed. That is all you can do!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 09-17-2019, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

MissAgnes, we most definitely teach the same 4th grade class! This is a common issue every year, but this year's students are not getting it.

In the past I have used a timer like Kahlua mentioned and it does help a little. I think some kids don't have a sense of time and really don't realize how long they are taking. As she said they will take as much time as you allow. I let the students know they have x amount of time to work in class and the rest becomes homework. Eventually they catch on. It is frustrating but giving those students a deadline with a visual timer does help teach time management skills. I project a timer on the smartboard for all to see.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 09-17-2019, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I'm not sure what the teachers in the grade below me did last year.
Have you asked them? A big pet peeve of mine is teachers somehow thinking the grade before them didn't teach anything, didn't have high expectations, etc.

We are teachers. Sure, there are the few (rare) bad apples, but most work their tails off with the students they are given.

If you have proof, that's different.
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 09-17-2019, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach third...

But, is it that they’re taking so long to copy or that they don’t have the dictionary skills to find the words?

Also... what is this “activity” being used for? Is it in conjunction with something else? Is it for them to study?

I know my kids would just take forever with that because it’s not an “exciting” activity and they wouldn’t see the use in completing it. Not saying it’s right but it happens..

My kids are slooooow and needy right now. It’s just the group of kids I got and it’s still so early in the school year.

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 09-17-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Drawing the picture would have slowed me waaaaay down. First trying to think of a way to illustrate the words and then doing the drawing. Five drawings in 10 minutes would make me extremely anxious. And then I have to do the other parts of the assignment also? Seems like a real challenge, even for a good student.

I would have had no trouble with knowing or learning the vocabulary, but I would have hated the assignment.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 09-17-2019, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I always find that at the beginning of the year, kids need MANY reminders/cues to help them learn to manage their time. I try to break it down it many ways. For example, I might say something like "You have 5 words to complete. It should take you no more than 5 minutes per word. You will have 25 minutes to finish." Then, give a cue every 5 minutes. "5 minutes have passed, you should be on word #2 now." Sometimes I might sit in a student desk, pretend to be a student completing the work, and have students time how long it takes me to complete a word. If students STILL continue to waste time and not finish, we move on, and they can complete the work on Friday instead of going to Fun Friday or class store.
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Just copy.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There are no dictionary skills necessary. We are using Frayer models for vocabulary study. Starting off just copying the info, then we will gradually move to making up their own sentences, etc. They have vocabulary notebooks where they will record the words they learn from the reading, as well as Greek and Latin roots, suffixes and prefixes.

seenthelight

Old 09-17-2019, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I give the same assignment and 25 minutes at least for my kids is not enough time. I usually break the assignment into two thirty minute chunks. Day 1: Half of the words or words and definitions. Day 2: The second half of the words or pictures and sentences. After Day 2, itís homework. I check it first thing the following morning for a grade.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 09-17-2019, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We have the same class this year.

My kids need to do the same thing for their 15 words. They have a 20 minutes a day for 5 days with an extra 20 minutes on friday if needed to get it done. That is 120 minute-which comes out to 8 minutes per word. About 2/3 cant manage it and have to finish it during "fun Friday". I decided to have them do the writing first and only add the picture if they have time...1/3 still can do it in 120 minutes without the pictures.

This year is sucking my soul out.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I expect
Old 09-18-2019, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

next year's teachers will wonder the same things about you.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

I wasn't being snarky.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I wasn't saying the teachers didn't do anything, just that I don't know how they handled this group.
I expect the teachers in the grade above me will ask me if they have any questions, which is what they usually do. Unfortunately the teachers in the grade below me do not share as readily.

eliza4one

Old 09-18-2019, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm glad you weren't being snarky.

Text/online posts are so hard to "read".
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Hope I didn't
Old 09-19-2019, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

sound snarky, either.

I was remembering hearing some conversations from teachers in the grade after me.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote