Help

Substitute Teachers

Difficulty following given plans!!

>

Pibblelover

Difficulty following given plans!!
Old 09-20-2019, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently started subbing again (had done about 15 years ago and have pushed into middle school classrooms recently). I chose 3rd grade as I had taught this grade in the distant past and really loved this age. The school is a charter school in my area.

I had never been to the school and only had 20 minutes (no one in office there earlier) to read and process classroom procedures - including pencil/supply policy, bathroom policy, computer policy, line policy, attendance, incentives, schedules, seating on floor, helpful students, students with behavioral and academic issues; classroom chants. The 20 minutes did not include time needed to review actual work that students were to complete that day.

Students had a packet that included, verbatim what they were supposed to do:

"Now turn to page __ of your packet. Review the story elements chart and complete blah blah. blah.

The math was not any different. "Please complete the attached application problem, read the lesson, complete the problem set, complete lessons 1 and 2 of blah, blah, blah.

Yikes. This was so difficult to follow. A few of the most able students could read and for the most part follow the packet but would get distracted as they are used to some direction and their normal transitions. As a 1 day sub to step into the teacher's role and continue where she left off was really impossible!
I did pull in a few things I recall from teaching primary, but quite honestly, the plans did not work!

As a one day sub, shouldn't our role be to keep the students basically safe and on-task and lessons should be devised with these in mind??????

Pibblelover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

I guess it depends...
Old 09-21-2019, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iíve been in my district for 12 years and most of my jobs are requests. The teachers with a few exceptions expect me to pick up where they left off the day prior. Iíve had days with no plans, and Iíve had to look at the prior days agenda on the whiteboard and pick up from there.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

At a guess
Old 09-21-2019, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think the regular teacher tried to set it up so that you and the students had lots of guidance on doing the work she'd left. It's likely she knew you'd not have time to review any lesson plans left and gave guidance in written form on the packets.

I expect she thought you'd read the directions to the students for each task from the packet and give help where needed to individuals as they worked.

It sounds like she pulled together "get 'em through the day stuff" rather than have an unknown sub try to continue with on-going lessons. I did that especially when new concepts were scheduled to be introduced.

Perhaps in trying to be helpful, the teacher got more complicated. Setting up for a sub can take a surprising number of hours.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 09-22-2019, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The plans do sound as if they were overly detailed, but Iíll take that all day long over no plans. At least you had something to work from.

As for the kids not having normal transitions, this is why I always make a point of telling the kids that ďtoday will be a little different, because you have a subĒ. It really helps them adjust their expectations, they roll with it, and we usually have a good day.

Tapdancesub and I have similar situations. Iíve subbed for several years for the same teachers, so at this point, I know how they run their classes. Sometimes Iím asked to launch a project or introduce a new concept, and sometimes Iím given a filler-type assignment because the teacher wants to intro the concept.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote