Help

Substitute Teachers

How do you get over an awful day.

>

artladyhere

How do you get over an awful day.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I promised myself I would leave my mess of a day at that school, but I can't shake Friday's awful hour....it was only an hour....last hour...8th grade and it left me shaking. Worst sub day in my five years of subbing.

How do you let go and move on from one of your worst subbing days????

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

bad day recovery
Old 09-29-2019, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

TV and a glass of wine that evening, and preferably the next day off!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

TheMercenary

Old 09-29-2019, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Stay away from 8th grade - seriously, it is always the worst. Are there other buildings where you can work? Again - no consequences, and the kids know it.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 09-29-2019, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like Lakesides suggestions
Thatís what I do and thank the Lord itís just one day even though I know those classes will leave us shook up.
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 09-29-2019, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used to get a big ol' milkshake but I don't do that much anymore! I guess I just walk away and be glad I'll never have to sub in that class again.

I subbed for a teacher last year a few times who had a very difficult elementary class but I couldn't say no to her because she's used me for years. I grinned and bore (beared???) each day with immense difficulty. By 2:00 I was pulsing with stress and had to make it another 45 minutes. And now I am once again very happy to sub for her in her current class.

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 09-29-2019, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

On bad subbing days, I do as Lakeside does, and have an adult beverage when I get home. When DH sees me go for a drink as soon as I put my purse down, he says, ďUh-ohĒ and makes himself scarce for awhile.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-29-2019, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

As a teacher of 8th graders, Iíll say . . .
  • junk food
  • mindless television
  • games on iPad

I also remember that puberty is hard. DH also teaches them, and here are our two favorite quotes about 8th graders.

ďYou canít grow brain cells and sex organs at the same time.Ē

ďThey lay their brains down and walk away from them for weeks at a time.Ē
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 09-30-2019, 02:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I remind myself that it's possible to perform flawlessly and still not get the desired result--there are too many variables. There are too many variables. I also find something that went well and focus on that.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-30-2019, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I guess it depends on how bad it was/who it was with, and what time of year it was. Iíd say Sept and May/June are the worst times to sub, aside from before Xmas or spring break. I had a really bad experience in multiple classes last year at a hs and I didnít go back that year, but I might give them another shot as there is a new principal.

I try not to focus on it. Iíve found out some kid who was acting like a little ahole does it to everyone or is having a bad time at home, etc. I will say this again, I really try to avoid middle school and also 9th grade these days. Their behavior is getting really hard to control and size of the classes/crappy lesson plans/ crappy school culture and no discipline makes it really hard to teach ms these days. Itís just really a drain on me in ways hs isnít.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 10-01-2019, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I remind myself that it’s only one day, open up a spiked sparkling water and let it go when I get home. I’ve been at this for too long to let a troublesome class ruin my day. I’ve learned that a well managed class operates the same way with a sub as they do the regular teacher. A poorly managed class does not. I’m also a known entity at most of my schools so the students know it is business as usual.

Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 10-01-2019, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I thought I was able to move on....then my daughter shows me a SNAPCHAT story that shows a kids acting up ....yep that's my class that was horrid...the same hour I was subbing it...I can see my shoe in the story. Haven't accepted a sub job since Friday. This one cuts deep.

YayaSub

Old 10-02-2019, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Do you mean a student made a video of the class being bad and sent it to your daughter? Is she a student there? Are there any repercussions for you over this video?
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 10-02-2019, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

No...when I came home I was telling my daughter how awful this class was. About two hrs later she came to me saying omg mom and showed me a Snapchat "story" from a a girl that she follows (a girl that used to go to her school for about 6 months). My daughter does not attend the school where I subbed. And there it was a snippet on this girl's story---one of the boys acting dramatic and she must have snuck her phone out to record 5 seconds of it. A new low for me.

Sirsubalot

Old 10-08-2019, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

After 22 years, I have learned to brush off bad days quite easily, however, for the first time over the last two weeks, I struggled only because I could not emotionally deal with the violations of probability that accompanied these two bad days the same week.

Most bad days are not strange at all. They come with the territory, but I did get upset this week because of the defied odds that I already discussed.

On day one, when I left a kindergartner behind that required the bus driver to come back, the odds were ridiculous that allowed this.

1. What are the odds that this was the first day EVER that the kinders left one hour later at 1:30 instead of 12:30?
What are the odds the regular aide forgets to tell me she leaves at 1:00? I thought she would return from a lunch break.
2. What are the odds two kinders were twins?
3. What are the odds the one on one aide was also a sub, who did not know better, and lets the kids follow her instead of wait for me?
4. What are the odds there are no supervisors to walk the kinders to the bus?
5. What are the odds the bus driver leaves without knowing a student is missing?
6. What are the odds one twin follows me to another room with the older students who stay later, instead of going to the bus?

On the 2nd day,
1. What are the odds of an occupied bathroom being locked from the outside, hence making me wait 10 minutes for nothing and being late to let my kids into class?

This should not have mattered, but then,
2. What are the odds the Principal is in my room having let the kids in since I am then only one minute late?

Bad things happen to us all as part of the jobs, but when bad events are caused by statistical anomalies, it is hard to accept.

This is a big school, why was he near my class to let them in?

Last edited by Sirsubalot; 10-09-2019 at 04:15 PM..
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 10-11-2019, 10:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

hahaha... oh boy -my bad days are sounding good.
I leave them at school.
If I am having that adult beverage after hours, I want to spend my time smiling and relaxing.

My bad days perplex me. I've quit two jobs, that were two or three days, as I knew it wasn't going to get any better. At the end of day, I informated the secretary. I also had the counselor, principle and security in helping those days.
Who know what those students neededed in terms of understanding proper behavior. And I don't want to be on anyone's video upload.

One secretary commiserated with me, the other called me up the next day and wanted me back. I said sorry, can not do it.
Pay rate is not high enough for those days.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 10-21-2019, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I pass by a McDonalds on my way home from work every day. I avoid it 99% of the time, but when I have a bad day, I'll get a double quarter pounder with cheese, a large order of fries, and two apple pies. It's really bad and I shouldn't do it, but it cheers me up after a bad day and has become a ritual that I indulge in whenever I get stuck at a certain school in particular that's basically the district's dumping ground for problematic students.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote