We are trying to sell our house in Northern CA and it wonít get an offer - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

We are trying to sell our house in Northern CA and it wonít get an offer

>

knitting987!

We are trying to sell our house in Northern CA and it wonít get an offer
Old 09-29-2019, 02:17 PM

Not sure what to do. It has been about two months. Realator keeps holding open houses but no offers. I feel he needs to do something else. Not sure what. Now we are 8 hours away. We price reduced it over a week ago. Iím getting pretty bummed having to pay for two homes, one that is rented for $3,000. Can you think positive thoughts or say a prayer for it to sell soon.

All ideas welcome. My husband likes the Realator so we arenít changing now or yet.

knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

selling a Northern CA home
Old 09-29-2019, 02:24 PM

I feel for you. My MIL is trying to sell her house and it's not a great sellers market up there. She's lowered the price and now has two mortgages.

I don't have any ideas other than a fire sale which is what my MIL may have to do. Sending good thoughts your way though!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

Different perspective
Old 09-29-2019, 02:34 PM

DH and I just put in an offer on a house weíve been keeping an eye on for two months. We needed to make sure we got a few things in place before putting offer in, so you never know. I canít imagine how stressful it might be but just wanted to give you perspective from the other side.
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-29-2019, 02:44 PM

Waiting for your house to sell is horrendous. This was recommended to me for my last house (2 offers over asking in 1 week). For less than $6, it might be worth a try. Good luck!
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 09-29-2019, 03:08 PM

Last time we sold a house it was in a bad market and it took 4 months But it did sell and Iím sure yours will too.

Are you getting showings but no offers? If so ask the realtor what kind of feedback heís getting-price too high, repairs needed, curb appeal needs to be better, etc. When you know whatís keeping people from buying you can make better decisions about what to do.

PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Charlotte

Old 09-29-2019, 04:04 PM

I absolutely believe in the St. Joseph prayer that Amiga mentioned. Both houses we have sold were under contract within 7 days. My friend had never heard of it, and after she buried St. Joseph she sold her house within days.

https://www.simplemost.com/the-story...ll-your-house/
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 09-29-2019, 04:20 PM

Iím not catholic but open to everything. Please explain more. Sounds fascinating!

Zia

Old 09-29-2019, 04:34 PM

I was the one who recommended St Joe to amiga.That's my Catholic upbringing...all I have left, really...that and my Catholic guilt, lol.

You bury him upside down in the front yard close to the door of the house you're trying to sell. My St. Joe statue has sold 6 houses so far. A "proven" one works best, so see if you can borrow one. All my friends borrow mine; he's in a neighbor's yard right now! Best luck!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 09-29-2019, 04:47 PM

I know your DH doesnít want to change realtors, however, you might consider it in the next month. Once we were selling a home and had no good offers for three months. We changed realtors and it went back up as a new listing. We had two offers within days. Good luck.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Selling NorCal home
Old 09-29-2019, 04:53 PM

Not sure how northern you are, but in my area (SF Bay Area) nothing stays on the market for more than a few weeks, and everything is going for over asking price.

Two things to consider: are you listening to your current realtor? Are they making suggestions for improving the look of your house and are you following up n suggestions? Are you and realtor being honest with each other?

If that is not the case, then I would look for a new realtor who is more invested in selling your home. A realtor stands to make $ on a sale, so youíd think they would go all in to get your house sold.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Is your house furnished
Old 09-29-2019, 04:59 PM

or empty? If it is empty you might invest in having it staged for a period of time and have an open house again.

Good luck!
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 09-29-2019, 05:40 PM

Around me, many people stage the house, putting attractive furniture and accessories in it. It seems to make a big difference.

Is the house freshly painted in current colors?

Professional photographs?

Good luck! When We sold our first home (it was a townhouse), it was on the market literally all summer--and NO ONE even came to look. Talk about discouraging. Then someone came--and they bought the house. It only takes one--if it's the right one.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 09-29-2019, 05:42 PM

Like Amiga13 we buried a St Joseph statue in the front yard upside down facing the house. It worked.

Good luck!
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-29-2019, 05:50 PM

I would have someone walk through your house and look at the staging, just in case there is some odor or set up that is unappealing to potential buyers.

It is so stressful to sell a house. I've sold two, and one took 7 months and one took 8. SO stressful, and both times we were paying double payments (rent/house) -- actually, the second time, we were paying TRIPLE for at least 4 months. Ugh! Thinking very positive thoughts for you and I hope your house sells very soon.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 09-29-2019, 05:56 PM

I live 8 hours away and canít drive back. But I can pray and I can mentally burry the statue. That is the best we can do.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Iíll try them all.

letsgomets

Selling a house is
Old 09-29-2019, 06:03 PM

extremely stressful.

I would make sure that your home is priced correctly for the area. When we sold our house in New York, we made the mistake of going with the realtor who told us we could sell it for XX amount of dollars. She was completely off. We should have gone with the local realtor to begin with. A house's value is only what the market will tolerate, and we were priced too high. Once that contract expired, we went with the local agent, but it was too close to the start of school and it still did not sell. Our house did not sell from the end of May to October. We moved out at the beginning of October, and rented it out for over a year. Our realtor found the renters. The rent did not cover the mortgage, but it was close and having a renter gave us some more time. We told the renters that we would be putting the house back on the market in the spring and they were ok with that.

It still took months to sell (this was during a very slow period for real estate - 2012). We finally got an offer in August after it had been on the market again since April. It took even more time after that to finalize things - Hurricane Sandy came through, we needed to make some repairs, the buyers hemmed and hawed about things. We did not settle until March of 2013. It seemed like an endless nightmare. Our final selling price was $39,000 less than that first realtor had told us. I was just glad to be done with things. We bought at the wrong time and it was quite a financial setback.

I buried St. Joseph in my yard, upside down. He must have been on a break, because it did eventually sell, but holy cow it took a long time.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-30-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
I live 8 hours away and canít drive back. But I can pray and I can mentally burry the statue. That is the best we can do.
If I were you, Iíd have a friend or neighbor or even my realtor bury it for me. Amazon will ship it to your friend. Really, itís lovely peace of mindóIím still grateful to Zia for telling me about it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7TCVZHC17Z1X0D

I also agree with what others have written about reevaluating your sales price and the condition of the house.

Our first house was for sale in a terrible market. My DH was transferred so he lived in a crappy & cheap apartment in the new location while the kids and I stayed to sell the house. We had 1 realtor who was a friend; when there were no offers, we switched to the top-selling realtor in our area. It took a long time, months, and we never could have afforded to support 2 full housing payments.

I sold the next house (like you, in Northern California) less than 2 years ago. I followed all the ďnew rulesĒ for a sale: I practically emptied the house, had a lot of work done, and had it beautifully staged. It sold quickly over asking.

I know how stressful selling a house is and I feel for you. But I also think you need to be proactive.

knitting987!

Old 09-30-2019, 02:17 PM

So you all think I can ask a friend still there to go through our house for suggestions and make sure all is ok? Hot head realator may not like that. She could attend one of his open houses.

1956BD

I would ask a friend
Old 09-30-2019, 02:55 PM

for assistance since you are so far away.

I read all the lists on Pinterest and did most of those things to make my home presentable to buyers. But as soon as my real estate agent walked in he said I had to get rid of shelves I had on my right wall of the living room close to entry.

I said, "Wait I took off all the photos and junk from vacations. I think it looks pretty." He said it did look pretty but it blocked to view of our oak trees in the back yard. He said a good view of trees in the backyard would help sell the house. So the shelves went to storage with a great deal of our other belongings.

Maybe your real estate agent has suggestions for you as well as your friend.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 09-30-2019, 03:11 PM

My friend says to wait and not do anything else yet. She is the neighbor as well. The house is painted, carpeted and empty. So hard to be so far away.

amiga13

Old 09-30-2019, 08:21 PM

You got a lot of advice to stage the house. Maybe this answer to the question Ďdo staged homes sell fasterí will help you. I found buyers needed help visualizing how great my house was.
Quote:
The short answer is yes, empty houses do take longer to sell than furnished, occupied or staged homes. A study from the Appraisal Institute found that vacant houses sold for 6% less than occupied houses and stayed on the market longer.
Apparently staged homes not only sell faster, they sell for more.

happygal

Ideas
Old 10-01-2019, 02:42 PM

Have it thoroughly cleaned

Have realtor bake a lasagne during open house

Lower your price

Trim bushes or plant some

Plant colorful flowers

Freshly painted interior walls

Paint the trim around the exterior

Wash the windows