Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Itís October! What are you reading?

>

amiga13

Itís October! What are you reading?
Old 10-01-2019, 07:32 PM

(Iím posting for trasie whose DH is illóso letís think of him and talk about books.)

What are you reading?

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 10-01-2019, 07:39 PM

Finally got the Evelyn Hugo book! Haven't read it yet, but hopefully this weekend.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-01-2019, 07:47 PM

I read The Great Alone because it had so many rave reviews here. Except for the character Alaska, I disliked it. I kept thinking it must be a young adult novel, and not very well written. I agree with The NY Times review:
Quote:
Itís a heart-tugger written in borderline young adult style, combining terrible troubles with notes of overripe romance. As in: ďWhen he touched her: music.Ē The terrible troubles are completely one-note.
Now Iím reading Gone to Soldiers by Piercy and itís one of the best WWII novels Iíve read. I love the way she looks at the war through disparate characters. Itís an older book, but it doesnít matter since itís historical fiction. I feel lucky to have found it (and Iím not even half-done). I loved Seeís review in the LA Times:
Quote:
This book deserves to have an entire book written about it, and, with luck, within the next 20 years that will happen. For now, in this paltry thousand words, let it be said that ďGone to SoldiersĒ is a landmark piece of literary prose, a totally infuriating narrative, an amazing feat of research, a wildly audacious gesture.
ďGone to SoldiersĒ is a book by a woman; it is also a ďgreatĒ novel of World War II. Before now, that would have been a contradiction in terms.

pdxteacher

Oct. books.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:03 PM

I just finished Why We Sleep, by Matthew Walker. It's just simply fascinating. It's non-fiction and by someone whose brain is way bigger than mine, but is accessible to the average person (me). For the last week I've sat down at the dinner table and started with, "Did you know....?" I'm pretty sure my spouse is glad I'm done with it. But seriously, it's great. And it's now my personal mission to consistently get more sleep each night, no matter what gets left on my to-do list.

(Side note: I listened to parts of the book while I was walking the dog. The narrator's voice is sexy as all get out. )

Last Boat Out of Shanghai: The Epic Story of the Chinese Who Fled Mao's Revolution by Helen Zia. It's narrative non-fiction about four individuals/their families who lived through WWII in Shanghai, then fled as Communism took hold. I honestly have very little knowledge about this time and place in history, but the author does an excellent job of giving the reader enough background to understand what was happening and why... without boring you to death. It's a good read.

This month has been pretty rough at school, though, so now I'm treating myself to an Inspector Gamache book - it's lovely.

Last edited by pdxteacher; 10-02-2019 at 04:49 AM..
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Book
Old 10-01-2019, 10:36 PM

Iím reading Overstory by Richard Powers for my book club. It is beautifully written but not for everyone. It is a thick book and very dense, and I was warned to start reading it as soon as possible in order to finish it by the time we meet. So far Iím only on the first few pages and it is slow-going. 😂 I have a12-hour flight ahead of me and I hope To make a dent in it.

cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Book
Old 10-02-2019, 12:47 AM

Valiant Ambition by Nathaniel Philbrick. Brilliant
History of the American revolution.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 10-02-2019, 02:10 AM

I just finished The Testaments by Margaret Atwood. If youíre a fan of The Handmaids Tale then this is definitely for you! Some answered questions (sort of). Lots to think about. Considering they were written 35 years apart they are remarkably cohesive.
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 10-02-2019, 03:18 AM

Rumor Has It and staying at daisy's by Jill Mansell. Light, fun reading

The Trust by Ronald H Balson. One of a series of novels with a private investigator and his lawyer wife as the lead characters.

The Last Year of the War by Susan Meissner. While I knew that we had interned Japanese, German, Alaska Natives during WW2, I never realized there were Peruvian Japanese interned in the US. They were a minor reference in the book, but one that stood out to me.

The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty. I was fascinated by the ways the characters used to appear to conform to society norms.

The Mother in Law by Sally Hepworth. Twists and turns I didn't expect
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 10-02-2019, 05:18 AM

Amiga, I liked "The Great Alone" for 2/3 of it but then I thought it devolved into melodrama. But I loved the descriptions of Alaska and the secondary characters. And I knew someone with paranoid PTSD and found the father fascinating.

I finally read "Where the Crawdads Sing" I liked it a lot, not sure how I felt about the ending.

Also, "The Wife" by Alafaire Burke, Good domestic thriller

"Looking for Alaska" by John Greene, apparently much beloved by teens and I can see why but a bit too overwrought for me

Currently reading "The Rosie Result", 3rd of the Rosie series. It's very light and entertaining.

Hope your husband is well soon Trasie!
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 10-02-2019, 05:28 AM

Almost done with The Lager Queen of Minnesota. Iím surprised that Iím enjoying it, because itís not my typical read. Told from several perspectives, about two sisters, one who inherits the family farm and wants to start a brewery, then the other sister gets nothing and struggles to have enough money her whole life. Also one granddaughter who ends up living with her, and her journey to adulthood.

And just finished The Things We Cannot Say, again told from two perspectives. One is a young Polish girlís story during WWII, and then a modern day woman who is connected to the story, and her struggles with her autostic son. Very good read!

KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-02-2019, 06:29 AM

Let's see...I read Calypso by David Sedaris who is one of my favorite authors. I really enjoyed it and thought he had some good insights into aging.

Then I read Last Seen Wearing by Colin Dexter. It was actually a rereading but it had been a long time. I have always loved both the Inspector Morse books and tv series. (And I love the Inspector Lewis and Endeavor spinoffs, too.)

I also recently finished A Single Thread by Tracy Chevalier and I really liked it a lot. I enjoyed the background of the cathedral and the Broderers (embroiderers) and it was not predictable.

I also read The Something Girl by Jodi Taylor (another favorite author), but it's the sequel to The Nothing Girl so read that first if you are interested.

And I'm currently reading The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud which is holding my interest but the main character is starting to get kind of whiny.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 10-02-2019, 07:24 AM

I just finished The Immortalists for my book club. I really wanted to like it but it didn’t do it for me.

I also read a time travel book, What the Wind Knows by Amy Harmon. It was okay.

I liked Calling Me Home by Julie Kilber. It was a great way to tell a story of the past through the eyes of one of the characters. It dealt with racial issues. The characters were very endearing. A very interesting story of friendship as well.

Another good one was We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter. It was a bit hard to follow each of the characters. It was about a Polish family who each had their own story of avoiding death as Jews in the war. I’m not sure that the characters could have been dealt with any better. I’m glad that I read it in hard copy so that I could go back easily and reference the different characters. It was based on a true story.

I enjoyed The Huntress by Katie Quinn. It wasn’t as good as The Alice Network, but I did enjoy it.

My latest favorite though was the Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. Great character development and a very dark window into our country’s past.

Did I mention how much I’m enjoying retirement! My want to read list is growing and I’m reading more than other.

My next book club book is The Pearl That Broke Its Shell. I think I’m going to read A Single Thread by Tracy Chevalier since I just got back from London and visited Westminster.
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-02-2019, 07:30 AM

luvmycat

Quote:
I think Iím going to read A Single Thread by Tracy Chevalier since I just got back from London and visited Westminster.
Just FYI the book involves Winchester Cathedral, not Westminster. I really enjoyed it!

Firefly_7777

Reading
Old 10-02-2019, 07:48 AM

Iíve been listening to some audiobooks.

Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen by Sarah Bird. Historical fiction and I enjoyed it. I get to hear the author speak in May.

The Third Wife by Lisa Jewel. I liked this one too. Thanks to the person here who recommended it.

I am one third into another book by the same author called I Found You. Itís interesting and definitely holds my interest.
Firefly_7777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Reading
Old 10-02-2019, 07:50 AM

I am currently ready "The Library Book" by Susan Orlean. It is about the fire at Central Library in LA. It isn't a page turner, but is very good. Next up is "The Great Alone", by Kristen Hannah. These are both for Book Club.

I also am reading "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a #$%*." It is very good - a new way of looking at self help. I always have a cozy mystery on my Kindle, as well - just for cotton candy for the brain.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 10-02-2019, 07:51 AM

I'm looking forward to reading Gutsy Women by Hillary Clinton and Chelsea Clinton.

Hillary Rodham Clinton and her daughter, Chelsea, share the stories of the gutsy women who have inspired them—women with the courage to stand up to the status quo, ask hard questions, and get the job done.
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 10-02-2019, 07:53 AM

I just finished The Kite Runner, and I'm about halfway through A Thousand Splendid Suns. I've really enjoyed both of them.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-02-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
The Third Wife by Lisa Jewel. I liked this one too. Thanks to the person here who recommended it.
Firefly, that was meóIím so glad posted that you liked it!

WestCoastTch

Reading.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:58 AM

I'm reading The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware. I just started it and I'm really enjoying it-- I've read several books from this author and enjoyed them.

Someone mentioned The Kite Runner so I ordered it and it was dropped off at my branch today. I did pick up the author's other novels that were available the day I visited the library last, but I haven't started them.

I also read The Third Wife and really liked it.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 10-02-2019, 11:38 AM

I just finished The Misremembered Man, which was a Kindle Prime book, and it was fine.

Very mild spoilerish review

I liked the characters, the story was interesting, but I kept thinking "How are they going to make this end the way it's obviously going to have to end?" and then I started thinking, "Oh, they can't. This is going to be a sad ending" and then I thought "Seriously? They're ending it like that? That's a little too coincidental."

But I enjoyed the journey in the meantime.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 10-02-2019, 12:34 PM

I just finished City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert - takes place in the 40's in NYC. It's a story about a young woman who becomes a seamstress for a small theatre in New York and how she lives as a young single woman in the city. I enjoyed it but it was very long.

I'm now reading It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover. It's OK - more of a romance than I thought it would be. I read her book Verity a few weeks ago and it was mind-boggling! This one is a little too "50 Shades" for my taste.

I just borrowed Stephen King's The Institute from my sister so I'll be starting that one next.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Persephone

Old 10-02-2019, 01:42 PM

Rereading the Griffin & Sabine series by Nick Bantock.
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 10-02-2019, 02:17 PM

Where the Forest Meets the Stars - Glendy Vanderah I loved this book; a beautiful, little uplifting tale.

Look at Me - Jennifer Egan This was a surprisingly entertaining and insightful book considering that the plot was almost nonexistent.

The Shadowy Horses - Susanna Kearsley History, the supernatural, romance...what's not to like about a Susanna Kearsley novel?

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI - David Grann This is the story of how the Osage tribe became wealthy when oil was discovered under the reservation they had been forced onto - and how they were murdered and otherwise victimized by greedy white people who wanted to get their hands on the oil headrights. It details how the newly-formed FBI was able to solve one group of 24 connected murders but how hundreds more went unsolved.

cvt I loved The Overstory but it is definitely not an easy read. Richard Powers never is but I am in awe at the sheer brilliance of his prose.

Coopsgrammy I really enjoyed The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F***. It was recommended to me by one of my former students and it was just what I needed to read at the time.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Firefly_7777

Old 10-02-2019, 02:53 PM

Amiga, glad to know it was you!
Firefly_7777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

Old 10-02-2019, 03:05 PM

The Clockmakerís Daughter I really liked it. It didnít get as good of reviews as some of her other books, it this was my first book by Kate Morton and I loved it. I canít wait to read more books by her.

I am rereading The Da Vinci Code and it is quite an exciting book.
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 10-02-2019, 03:17 PM

Finished The Flight Girls

Currently reading Resistance Women - about 4 different women during WWII.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 10-02-2019, 03:47 PM

I am in the middle of 2 books--so unlike me! i'm reading the 5 book of the Last Kids on Earth series. (i get to read it before the 3 boys in my class that have requested get it!)

and i'm reading the 4th book in the Magical Bakery (mind candy) series.

i also am 2 chapters into I Let You Go--("crime novel with a killer twist)--but i stalled out when the other 2 books showed up. (it hasn't gotten creepy and good yet)
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

boxermama

Old 10-02-2019, 04:40 PM

I just finished "Daisy Jones and the Six." It had great reviews, but I thought it was just okay.

I am reading/listening to "The Dutch House" now. It is narrated by Tom Hanks. I don't know whether I like it because of the narrator or the story?
boxermama is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

books
Old 10-02-2019, 05:51 PM

I'm reading The Library Book by Susan Orlean for book club. Yes, just as Coopsgrammy described.
I started Us Against You by Fredrik Backman. After reading Beartown, I couldn't not read it!
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

linderdm

I second...
Old 10-02-2019, 06:12 PM

Resistance Women and City of Girls. I enjoyed both of them.
linderdm is offline   Reply With Quote

WacSingLof

Old 10-03-2019, 05:34 AM

I read two books recommended here and enjoyed them both a lot. Thank you amiga😉
- The invention of wings, by Sue Monk Kidd, based on the life of Sarah Grimpe
- Mistress of the Ritz, also based on true people, during WWII in Paris.

I've also reread Paul Auster's Music of chance. Different style, different type of characters and a great read!

I just discovered Ron Rash. I read 'Above the waterfall', a mystery set in the Appalachian. This book reminded me somewhat of James Sallis and William Tapply and I really appreciated the wildlife as seen by the ranger...

I just started 'Serena', also by Ron Rash and although it's very different, I like it so far.
Thanks for starting this thread Amiga and sending hugs to tracy
WacSingLof is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-03-2019, 05:59 AM

WacSingLof, I read Serena and really liked it. Some of it made me uncomfortable, but it sure made me think. And the setting was fascinating. Great writer.

boxermama, I agree about Daisy Jones. So so and way overhyped. But I did like her Evelyn Hugo.

I notice a lot of you also like WWII novels. Please give Gone to Soldiers by Piercy a chance. Easy reading, but deep. It would make a great women’s book club book.

annie_g

Old 10-03-2019, 08:31 AM

Amiga, just downloaded Gone to Soldiers to try it out. It's on Kindle Unlimited if you have that.

dawnmei

Old 10-03-2019, 05:15 PM

I finished Be Frank With Me and found it absolutely delightful. It's an easy read but one of the main characters was just the sort of quirky kiddo that I love. I"m pretty sure someone here recommended it.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 10-03-2019, 05:20 PM

I read a lot in September:
Steeped In Love by Julie Evelyn Joyce. silly and predictable.

The Verdun Affair by Nick Dybek. WW1 and post WW1. Interesting

The Mistress of the Ritz by Malanie Benjamin. I liked this a lot.

In Another Time by Jillian Cantor. WW2 book, not bad, not great

The Binding by Bridget Collins. The first part was brilliant and then readable but not as good after that.

Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J Maas. The last of hte Throne of Glass series. It was a good ending but the whole series was just too long

American Spy by Lauren Wilkinson. I read it for my Book Club. The person who chose it said Obama had it on his summer reading list. I found it a little uneven.

The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware. This has been on my For Later library list for a while. It didn't disappoint and made me put more books by Ruth Ware on my For Later list.

I listened to As You Wish by Cary Elwes. I was enchanted by it when I read it last year and listening to it was even better.

The Dry by Jane Harper. Good Australian murder mystery.

I'm currently reading The Alice Network by Kate Quinn and liking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori58
The Shadowy Horses - Susanna Kearsley History, the supernatural, romance...what's not to like about a Susanna Kearsley novel?
I know, right? Season of Storms is my public transit book right now and I'm a little irritated when my stop comes up.
GreenBunny is online now   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Gutsy Women
Old 10-03-2019, 06:03 PM

After hearing an interview on NPR with HRC and Chelsea, I've added Gutsy Women to my TBR list. Like so many, I've watched Chelsea grow up, watched Hillary endure hardships and challenges. Say what you will about the Clintons but Hillary has more cajones than most.
Most of the interview was excellent and good listening, but Chelsea kept saying "kinda gutsy and used kinda several times. These women that were the subjects of their book were anything but "kinda."
Here's a woman that is Ivy League educated talking like some twit at the mall.
Sigh.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-03-2019, 06:47 PM

I read a lot on vacation.

Stay Sexy and Don't Get Murdered was very funny. It's written by two women who have a blog about true crime.

On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocan Vuong. Beautifully written but not a page turner.

This is How it Always Is by Laurie Frankel. I honestly don't really remember this one so it must not have been great.

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zunak. Very different. Didn't love it but didn't hate it.

Desolation Mountain by William Kent Krueger. Decent read. I'm not a huge fan of mysteries.

Miracle Creek by Angie Kim. Again, don't really remember this one.

Finding Dorothy by Elizabeth Letts. Easy read and kind of fun. A fictional story about the wife of the author of The Wizard of Oz.

Refugee by Alan Gratz. I enjoyed this. It's a YA novel so an easy read, but still good.

The Dry by Jane Harper. Again, I'm not a huge mystery fan but this was pretty good.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote