Help

The VENT

I find it funny

>

SummerRose

I find it funny
Old 10-09-2019, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I find it very funny that when I went to administration for help with a violent student, I was told that I work with asd students so I should expect violent behavior and therefore, should expect to get hit on the job. Doesnít matter that Iím pregnant I should have expected it. BUT now that other staff members are getting hit by this same student itís a big problem and they want me to make visuals for the other teachers who are getting attacked even though the visuals donít work. Iím not doing anything to support the other teachers because when it was me getting hit nobody cared, but now that itís your body being beat you want somebody to do something about it. We also have another asd student who has been pulling the fire alarm because he thinks itís funny. The principal and administration are doing the most and want to suspend the student. What happened to ďyou have asd students in your building, you should expect this type of behaviorĒ? They want all the teachers to meet to figure out a way for this student to stop pulling the fire alarm. Itís funny now that certain people are being affected they want to hold meetings and come up with solutions, yet this violent student who hits because he doesnít get his way, which is not a direct result of his disability is still in my classroom. I donít see myself coming back after maternity leave. If I didnít need the money I would quit now.

SummerRose is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

It's What You Signed Up For
Old 10-09-2019, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
I was told that I work with asd students so I should expect violent behavior and therefore, should expect to get hit on the job.
My husband was told the same thing. After a few years of nonsense like this, he ended up quitting because (Surprise!), he did not sign up for that.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Are you unionized?
Old 10-09-2019, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You should have a right to safe working conditions (or as safe as possible). The fact that you are pregnant should make the administration overly protective of you. No one should expect to get hit on the job. That sounds totally unacceptable to me. The administrators, counselors and other involved faculty members should be trained in subduing a violent out of control student. I am sorry you have to work in such a toxic school.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 10-09-2019, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The risk of injury to the other students should surly cause the administration to move forward in protecting all students and staff at your school. If you expressed your concerns for student safety in writing and sent the letter to the administration they would have no legal leg to stand on if a student gets hurt. Everyone deserves to feel safe at school and the administration is responsible for ensuring that safety. Put the monkey on their back.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Old 10-09-2019, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I suggest that you document everything! Go to your union leader or team leader and express your concern about your safety and that of others. Keep a daily journal and if necessary visit your doctor and express your concerns about the safety of your unborn child and yourself. I wish I was more help, a co-worker was in a similar situation and went out on a medical leave - but it was after she had her baby.

Wishing you the best!

MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

ASD Room
Old 10-09-2019, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The ASD room is the reason I quit my job.

I was a building sub for 4 years and after I got a fractured foot I called it quits. Not surprisingly subs will not accept a job in the ASD classroom, so I was chronically in the room.

Two years ago I was hit in the face with a metal dust pan that a student threw in anger. The AP was standing right behind me and his reaction was laughter. Now I have a permanent mark on my face.

Stay safe.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Oh,
Old 10-09-2019, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

and it's probably illegal (and certainly unethical) to ask you to do anything while you're on leave.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

SummerRose

Document document document
Old 10-10-2019, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have a huge binder for this one kid full of incident reports from not only me, but other people who have had violent encounters with this student. It is almost filled and this is only the start to the 2nd month of school. I have expressed numerous times to anyone who supposedly matters including the union that I am concerned for the safety of the students and staff in this classroom due to the aggressive behavior from this one student. Anytime he gets close to one of my students she jumps in fear and puts her head down or moves out of the way. Still nothing has been done. Seems like somebody really has to get hurt in order for administration to do something. All I know is that if this student hurts me again they will have a huge lawsuit on their hands. As I have numerous emails, and incident reports and they are ignoring it. Since day one I have expressed my concerns and all I got was that I should expect it.
SummerRose is offline   Reply With Quote