Help

The VENT

Poor nutrition

>

MissAgnes

Poor nutrition
Old 10-11-2019, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school provides free breakfast and lunch. Yesterday a student came in with the provided breakfast: donut stick, chocolate milk, orange juice. Total grams of sugar: 78. That's more than 3 times the recommended amout for an entire day.
No wonder these kids can't learn.

And lunches are immoral, bordering on illegal. Not only are they crap, it's not enough food. How can you give the same portion to a tiny Kindergartener that you give to a 5'8" 250lb fifth grader? (Yes, there are several kids in our school that are that big.)

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I miss the days before regulation
Old 10-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

when the cooks cooked the meals and handled the presentation themselves.

At my first district, all the teachers ate the school lunches on certain days. I am sure those meals are against the rule now--Home made chicken and dumplings with real wheat rolls, taco salad days-yummy.

Although I feel our lunch ladies do a great job most days, we have experienced the same thing here at times. Our lunch ladies try hard with what they are given and the restrictions, etc. out of their control.

Breakfast is the worst by far. Cereal with cinnamon sugar toast? Why spoil perfectly good toast? [And too, a lot of times, in order to cook large volumes of toast at once, they dip the white bread in a fake margarine liquid and bake it on a cookie sheet.] I am not a fan of the liquified margarine. If the bread says in even seconds to long, it bakes it hard as rock...
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-11-2019, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ours used to make a lot of their food from scratch, too, and now almost everything is prepackaged and or frozen and they just heat it up. Maybe they have to put the frozen chili over top the frozen piece of cornbread.

Watching how much food gets thrown away is interesting. Entire peaches, plums, unopened celery sticks, carrot sticks, crappy-looking lettuce/tomato "salads." They aren't allowed to share or save food.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

It's all prepackaged.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Cooked and packaged at a central location, frozen, shipped to the school, reheated.
It's pretty awful. The kids MUST take the entree, milk, and fruit/veggie that is provided. We have a share table, and whole entrees often end up on it.
I guess that's good for the big kids who are still hungry and want a second entree.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

food
Old 10-11-2019, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree. Current school food offerings are crap - in nutrition, in taste, in portions...

Like so many other things, good intentions lead to programs that might work on a small scale with lots of funding, but fall apart on a large scale in the real world.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Our school lunches changed
Old 10-11-2019, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

more than 5 years ago. They changed the white bread to whole wheat/whole grain. Low fat milk, no soda, no candy. They got rid of all the canned fruit and provided fresh fruits and always fresh salads. Teachers and students can always order an organic salad as a lunch choice.
The food isn't 5 star restaurant, but it is so much better than what was served before. And the price didn't go up.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 10-11-2019, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have the same problem. One "cook" for 500 kids! All she can handle is heating up the food and sometimes even that is too much. Today's taco salad was still frozen. And it was cookie day, so she spent most of her time handing out cookies. Most kids ate the cookie, ate the chips from the taco salad and threw all the vegetables and fresh fruit away.

Breakfasts are the worst though. Cinnamon rolls, juice, chocolate milk and fruit. It's all sugar. And they get that Every. Day.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

just sayin'
Old 10-11-2019, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...h-rules-2018-1
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 10-11-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our school serves funnel cake and packs of donuts for breakfast. I don't remember it being that bad before regulations were relaxed.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-11-2019, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It's always so frustrating to hear that. Here we have the chance not only to feed hungry kids but to educate them, and we are doing such a poor job.

I am very lucky that my school serves fresh food, and it is really good. Nothing prepackaged, and the only sweets are cinnamon roll Friday and juice once a week. Most of the teachers eat lunch from our cafeteria and we always have parents come and eat as well.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-12-2019, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yes, I agree. I was always amazed that they give out sugary breakfast foods. And the lunches are disgusting. I never really thought about it, but you're right about the portion size should not be one size fits all.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Yes
Old 10-12-2019, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree. A few years before I retired, they stopped giving the kids milk for those who had run out of money on their accounts. They got a plain peanut butter sandwich and a "juice" that was just watered down instant lemonade.
The cafeteria staff didn't like it when I started asking questions.
They made a lot of changes during the Obama years, but obviously not enough. I shudder to think of what it's like now.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Breakfast
Old 10-15-2019, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

That is shocking and completely immoral. And can't be helping with behaviour

My school doesn't do meals at all, but when I worked at a school with a breakfast club it was peanut butter or vegemite toast, bananas and wheat bix. With milk or water to drink. And the kids ate as much or as little as they wanted, as long as they only took one serving at a time.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote