Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Hard of hearing accessories?

>

kahluablast

Hard of hearing accessories?
Old 10-13-2019, 12:21 PM

My mom is on oxygen, which means if the electricity goes out, she needs to be moved to bottled oxygen. We recently found out that the machine they use does have an alarm, but my dad can't hear it. With or without hearing aids.

My mom is not a reliable notifier. She may hear the alarm and with her dementia - she might go on a walk to fix it herself, or she may decide that it is normal and just listen to it.

Have you heard of anything that might work to be a visual? Like a strobe light that could easily be put on it instead of the alarm? I told my dad to ask the company that provided it, but I should make some calls myself. THeir electricity was out for 12 hours this weekend. Fortunately my dad woke up and discovered it very shortly after it happened (I won't mention the lanterns he lit for lighting...), and he was busy finding friends who didn't lose their power on the chance that it didn't come on before his bottled oxygen ran out.

Now researching generators. The fun never ends.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-13-2019, 12:27 PM

No clue, sorry, but I want to say what a wonderful daughter you are.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 10-13-2019, 12:38 PM

If the company that supplies the oxygen doesn't help how about contacting a hearing business that may have something to help you out. A generator is a good idea.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 10-13-2019, 01:26 PM

This company has some options for hearing impaired alert devices. Call and see if they have anything that might work for you. If they donít, they can probably refer you to someone who will.

https://www.rehabmart.com/

It certainly sounds like a generator is a necessity for your mom. It is very likely that either her insurance or Medicare will pay at least part of the cost. It may take a little work, but it could save a significant amount of money. On the other hand, if they can afford a Generac generator, it would make life much easier. They come on automatically when electricity goes out. Your dad wouldnít have to do anything. I know they are expensive, but Iím sure thereís a payment plan. Iíve already started talking to my parents about this option.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

oxygen
Old 10-13-2019, 01:32 PM

Notify the power company that she is dependent on oxygen as that usually gives them priority in getting it restored explain the situation. Also alert the fire department that is nearest their home explain the possibility your dad wouldn't hear the alarm and your mom wouldn't understand. My son worked on the fire dept when he was in college. During power outages they made the rounds to at risk homes. Do they have reliable neighbors?

mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 10-13-2019, 01:59 PM

I can't help with the device, but I did want to share something you may or may not know.

Please let the electric company know there is a person who has oxygen that is connected to the power. They will have their house on priority for restoring power.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-13-2019, 05:51 PM

I did check the electric company earlier. It says they can notate it on your account, but that doesn't get you any preferential treatment. Comes back on when it comes back on. I didn't consider talking to the fire station. Small town, so that might do something.

My dad checks in on their immediate neighbors. Takes their trash in and out and delivers mail. 2 older women on both sides with health issues. He doesn't have his hands full enough taking care of my mother.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 10-15-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I did check the electric company earlier. It says they can notate it on your account, but that doesn't get you any preferential treatment
Wow! That makes me sad!

I definitely remember when my DS was a baby we were on a list to get power restored quickly because he had a heart monitor.

We don't live there anymore and have no idea if that would still be true. Not do I know if it's something that would happen where I live now.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote